android
Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 PM

the bestbuy link doesn't work anymore

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2011, 02:12 AM

I got tired of sitting idly by, and feel the need to find out more about the release date of the SGSW 4.0. So, I finally registered on this forum for this one item.

So, as mentioned, the Amazon link died the same day it was posted. However, I was looking through my Amazon Browsing History, and noticed that (though the link to the item is now dead) it is labeled: Samsung Galaxy 4.0 Android MP3 Player by Samsung (June 13, 2011). Is this the same for everyone else?

Now, I know that Samsung and Best Buy also took down their links to the product. So, I wonder if that date on Amazon is at all valid still, especially with the rumors of Apple suing Samsung.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I supposedly have one on order from Amazon. No ship notice, and middle of June ship date listed. They haven't cancelled my order though.

Either that momentary availability was a mistake, and retracted once discovered, or the Apple suit forced a cease order on them.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Would like to hear about that order.

I decided to wait until an official release, or at least an official release date to order. I have seen this device (in some form or another) since November or so, with different model numbers, names, etc.

So I really did not want to order it and end up waiting an unknown amount of time to receive it. I have seen other failed devices, or developer only devices, that never became reality.

So I'm excited that they finally seem ready to release this, and hope it comes soon. I sold an ipod touch back in october and have been looking to replace it since then

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Rumors of it have been out long enough for Android to be updated two or three times. I'm hoping it comes with 2.3 or they wait a little longer for IceCream Sandwich, whatver it's version number is.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM

I too have the Amazon order. And it is also listed for a mid to late June ship date. June 22, I think.

So now that the mobile webpage appearances have vanished, I'm wondering if anyone had the Best Buy Mobile app on another device and could do us a favor by checking the entry for the 5.0 that Engadget reported yesterday:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/31/s...p-dares-you-t/

Part of me really doesn't believe it's the Apple lawsuit. I don't see that thing going anywhere and I don't think Samsung's afraid of it.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Could be several reason why a product is pulled back.

- Company decides to revamp it to better meet current competition.
- Serious production flaw discovered, leads to halt of production until solutions can be found.
- Shortage of a critical part. Or someone (Apple) offers them more money for some element they would have put in their own devices. Stock goes there before it goes into the galaxy players.
- The disaster in Japan may be a contributing factor.
- New reports come in showing demand for PMPs has disappeared.

and so on.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Or, that damned Apple lawsuit,...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Ugh. I had a nice post written up but ABI logged me out, and my ISP isn't handling the traffic nicely. Basics of it were this:

- Apple lawsuit is MAD, and hasn't stopped Samsung from pushing iOS-like phones, so I ignore it.
- Device successfully produced for Korean and Russian Markets
- PMP market as "dead" as it was when they announced the device, so it's not like market numbers would surprise them.
- US PMP Page lists 4 players in the market, with only two showing. Perhaps a space each for the Wifi 4.0 and 5.0, indicating presence in the database--ready to pounce.

Result:
Pending a shortage, like Olley said, or a Software snag, I suspect it's a matter of marketing and miscommunication in the big machine that is Samsung: One department issues info based on an old time line, the other demands the pull. With a lot of devices and promotions slated for Mid June, I think they want to focus everyone's attention on the Tabs and SII.

However, with traces of the product still around, I am led to believe it hasn't been yanked entirely.

Last edited by Corgan; 06-01-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Grammar, and all that.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Here's my problem, the longer they wait the more out dated the hardware becomes, the less interested I am in the device.

I'm in the market for an android device, and an MP3 player, I get a phone through work and its a blackberry. This would be a good choice for me, unfortunately my patience is running thin.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Thumb Down

I agree. We're in this weird space where we, enthusiasts, hear about the latest and greatest well in advance of the launch. It creates this frustrating scenario where you wait for a device, but by the time it launches something better is on the horizon.

Still I really don't see any contenders in the space coming up, so I'm willing to cash in if it happens within the next few weeks.

Also as a point on the Player 4.0, the assets are still stored online:

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con..._4_front_4.jpg

Hi, Samsung!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM

I wonder if you will be able to hack different android roms onto these

Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Default Now on Samsung UK website

The 4.0 and 5.0 are now listed on Samsung's UK website - still not on sale anywhere, though.

4.0 here

5.0 here

The spec seems to avoid mentioning which version of Android comes bundled...

Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadg17 View Post
The 4.0 and 5.0 are now listed on Samsung's UK website - still not on sale anywhere, though.

4.0 here

5.0 here

The spec seems to avoid mentioning which version of Android comes bundled...
"Powered by “Froyo” (Android OS 2.2)"

Old 06-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Well, not exactly posted on samsung's site but...

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3...P-G1CW/XAA-buy

Humpf. It gives some hope

Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 PM

does anyone know of any capacitive screen android players in the 4-5 inch screen range that are for sure coming to the US? I am losing hope with this samsung galaxy player.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Cowon D3 is already here,...

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The Cowon D3 is already here,...

Where?

how much does it cost?

Also I heard it had terrible app support and absolutely no app store of any kind

Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do a search on google or look at amazon.com,... As for it's performance, I've seen good & bad about it. Look in the Cowon section of the forums - all the info you need to start.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 PM

I followed the link(s) on the page mrplowjr_ez_v posted by PCMall. They suggest you call to find the expected availability for the player, but when I called I got stuck in a loop from which I could not escape. Never got through to anyone.

Closed Thread