android
Old 11-05-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
That review just made me mad when I read the conclusion where it talks about things that just aren't true like where it says it's running an old version of android. As far as I know gingerbread 2.3.5 is the latest unless they are already griping that it doesn't come with icecream sandwich. The other thing is that it says there are cheaper alternatives but doesn't specify any. The only alternatives I can see in this category are the ipod touch which has a similar spec processor and less ram and less potential storage space with no sd card. and maybe the archos 43 32 and 28 all of which are crap in the sub 200$ market now. The galaxy players to me seem pretty good for their price. I do wish they included an app for offline gps maps since it only works while on wifi to cache maps or if you download sygic which costs a fair bit.
If you mean the last review posted here, he was reviewing a player he bought off of Woot. Those are gray market editions intended for Central America that still only have Froyo and haven't been updated. However, an update was publicized on the Woot forums and I did the Gingerbread update to my Woot model with no problem. I love mine and feel lucky that I got it from Woot for $169. I think it's still a good deal at $269 and agree with you that there isn't a lot of competition in that price range. Philips has recently come out with an Internet capable Android PMP. It is cheaper, but it has no camera, no GPS, and I'm not sure what the specs are. Sony is coming out with some, but the prices I've seen for them are more expensive (starting around $360).

I bought Sygic USA for $16, but CoPilot Standard is now available on the market for only $2.99, with all 2D US maps included. I bought CoPilot, too, and it works. It mostly has routed me the same way Sygic has to local destinations in tests. There was a difference in one route that I wasn't too sure about, but it was just different than the way I usually go and it would still get me to the same place in the same amount of time.

Last edited by galaxyfaraway; 11-05-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Did you buy Sygic from their website?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:19 PM

People with galaxy s wifi 4.0 the gingerbread update has arrived!!!! Even though it's the france rom, It has english (united states) in it.

Use odin to flash it

http://www.multiupload.com/XKXHTRW2HO

Reference:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1227578&page=9

I thank eerie_silence from XDA for this rom!!

Last edited by zacp2; 11-05-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
I did buy it from their website. There's no other way to make it a permanent app after getting the free trial on Android Market. After that expired, I went to their website and got a code to keep it and paid some amount in Euros, which came out to around $16 when I got my credit card statement.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
I did, yes, used paypal.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracen View Post
The problem here is that the Galaxy player is really a niche market. Most of these reviews are being done by people who own smartphones, and can't understand why one would get a device without phone capabilities.

When they said you can get a device for cheaper, they are failing to consider that the cost of the device may *initially* be less for a better specced cellphone, but its so heavily subsidized through the contract, you eventually end up paying upwards of $1,000 for the device.

The fallacy then, is that most reviews are shortsighted for costs, not realizing that they are paying much more for their phones. They also compare the devices specs against current phone specs like the S2, etc, and then proceed to bash the player for not having 3G connectivity, etc.

TL;DR - Reviews are mostly written by people accustomed to smartphones, who compare it to a smartphone, leading to really slanted reviews.
I agree, what "cheaper" options are they speaking of?

The new Phillips Go Gear Connect runs on Android and with its 3.2 screen is about the same size as the Archos 32. Like the 32 it only have WiFi however.

Its going for $179 at Best Buy. Outside of that, the Ipods are inferior unless you do everything with iTunes which I don't.

The 5.0 is great size and it will still fit in most people's pockets unless you're one of those people that wear skinny jeans.

The other options are older (besides the Go Gear) than the GP's and haven't been updated for years...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezzy View Post
I did, yes, used paypal.
Co-Pilot Live! for Android (North America) - $6

Sygic for North America based on current exchange rate is - $21

What advantage is there to Sygic??? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Is there a 16GB version of the 5.0 available?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
Co-Pilot Live! for Android (North America) - $6

Sygic for North America based on current exchange rate is - $21

What advantage is there to Sygic??? If you don't mind me asking.
they charged my paypal account $16.99 US dollars

Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM

how's the sound quality in the default music player I hear people are complaining about weak bass. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Samsung Moderator

The SQ thread is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63917

Now these devices have been released about everywhere in the world I think I can close this thread, don't you think guys?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
The SQ thread is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63917

Now these devices have been released about everywhere in the world I think I can close this thread, don't you think guys?
Please do so!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Agreed, they are now widely available. Either close the thread or change the title to something more suitable.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Samsung Moderator

Done

Please guys now post in the appropriate threads and make a forum search before opening a new thread

Closed Thread