android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon X7

Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Default Cowon X7 works fine, but computer can't see harddrive

My Cowon X7 works fine when not plugged into my computer, but when it's plugged in it thinks for a long time, then eventually shows a hard drive that it says needs to be formatted.

The computer sees the device quite quickly, and the flash card works (eventually). While it is thinking, the harddrive inside the X7 makes a disturbing clicking sound.

I have a backup of everything on the device, and it is fully charged.

Should I try reformatting it? Is there any recovery software that works with the X7? Has anyone else had this problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Same problem here, mate. Not sure how to fix it yet but I'm working on it.

I'll keep you posted...

Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Sounds like a hard drive error. Is there any kind of HDD diagnostics tool you can use on it?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

From my experience with hard drives, the clicking noise is a sure sign that it's failing. I suggest to immediately send this in for a warranty repair.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:30 AM

The clicking could also be the result of the USB port not providing enough power to the X7.

Is the X7 plugged into one of the computers USB ports or a USB hub ? (And if it is a USB hub, is it a powered one ?)

Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubba View Post
The clicking could also be the result of the USB port not providing enough power to the X7.

Is the X7 plugged into one of the computers USB ports or a USB hub ? (And if it is a USB hub, is it a powered one ?)
I noticed that tip on the Cowon help pages but plugging the device into one of the computers USB ports doesn't help.

However, that gave me an idea. A lack of power could very well be the problem. It could be worth having both the USB connector and the power lead plugged into the device at the same time. I don't have the power adaptor on my to try it but I thought I'd post my idea anyway...

Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 AM

OK, that didn't work. Anyone else with an idea?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Just got in touch with Cowon in the UK. They recommend a new cable which they are sending out to me, suggesting the device may need replaced if that doesn't work. The email address I sent to was:

INFO@COWONUK.COM

Hope that helps.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 PM

I have the same problem. After loading up some FLAC files, the X7 quit being recognized by the computer. I bought another one, and same problem happened. Only one out of three I bought is still being recognized by the computer. Do you suppose this defect is a wide spread one?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Sounds like it, zysondy. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the thing. I love it to death but maintaining it is more of a challenge than I'm willing to take on. Back to the iPod I guess. Siiiiiiiggggghhhh....

Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM

I was advised not to eject the X7 from a PC without first engaging the "Safe to remova" icon on the lower right of the taks bar. The advisor said unless one follows this procedure, the files in the flash drive might get damaged. Since the X7 operating system files reside in the flash drive, they might have been damaged by unplugging the X7 without first using the "safe to remove" procedure.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Any news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysondy View Post
I have the same problem. After loading up some FLAC files, the X7 quit being recognized by the computer. I bought another one, and same problem happened. Only one out of three I bought is still being recognized by the computer. Do you suppose this defect is a wide spread one?
Hey guys, any news on this subject? This have recently happened to me too, the computer can't connect the device.
For a while, it gave me "disconnected" on the screen, now not even that, only "charging". However, very recently I plugged the player into computer usb port for charging as I knew it was not gonna connect (same port I use all the time), but it connected. I managed to pull in about 1gb of music and then it got disconnected and unrecognized device again.
Since then, no success. But it made me think. How is it that it was possible to connect that one time, recently?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Same issue. Please Help!

Hi all,

My X7 has stopped connecting to my PC. I can play the files that are on there already, but obviously can't add any new ones

Here's what's happening

1) plug X7 into PC
2) cowon says "USB CONNECTED"
3) There's a few clicks and whirrs of the disk
4) Then USB DISCONNECTED appears on the X7 after a minute or so
5) After I unplug the X7 from the PC, it goes to the Updating Database screen.

I've tried with 2 different cables and several different USB ports.

My X7 is out of warranty, so sending it back isn't an option...

Any ideas?
Scott

Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Default HDD clicking noise.

Hi

After transferring 50GB of Flac files the HDD now complains that it is full even after deleting the files. It also makes the strange clicking noise.

I have had to reset the unit and format the drive multiple times

BTW - there is no eject option for the Cowon under Windows, shows up as a Media player and not external storage...

Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 AM

I don't think you can save your files but you may be able to save your X7 by formatting the flash disk and putting the fresh Cowon system files on it. You can do it from administrating tools of the windows usually used for partitioning an HDD.
Taking it to a service center worked for me. Don't give up, Cowon HDD dies hard.
Please read my post here:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71776
Good luck

Tags
cowon, harddrive, recovery, usb, x7