android
Old 05-15-2011, 03:51 AM

Default Sony's Copyright Protection System

Hi

I've got a question on Sony MP3 players, i'm thinking of getting the NWZ-A846 and notice on Amazon that it's got a Copyright Protection System - could someone explain what that means. i'm aware of the issues a few years back with Sony CDs but not heard anything before about MP3 players

Cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That just means Sony supports the MTP file transfer protocol, to play DRM-protected WMA files. You can also set the player to use standard MSC file transfer, like any USB stick or external hard disk. There are no limitations for the user when using that mode.

Pretty sure there's no rootkit on the players... Sony should have learned their lesson from the CD disaster.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Haven't had a problem with mine, and looking up on Google about DRM or rootkits on the A840 series didn't yield anything.

It's a nice player, but the battery life could be better (but then, it could always be better, no matter how good it already is, right?)

Old 05-18-2011, 03:02 PM

thanks for the advice guys....Sony Walkman has arrived and has already been sent back!! The sound quality was utterly appalling, that's not mean being picky it was dreadful. tried playing with all the settings, tried 3 pairs of headphones, unbelievably bad....so back to the search for a no frills alternative to an ipod > 16GB grrrrrrrr :-)

Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Sorry that didn't work out for you but I'm more than a bit surprised that you found the sound quality poor. The sound quality of the NWZ S639 and NWZ E345 I have gets no complaints from me.

It's just curiosity on my part but what type of headphones and files did you test it with? Perhaps you received a defective player?

Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM

skip - I tried the ones it came with, ipod headphones (they're my girlfriends!) and headphones i have for my technics - all garbage. put 2 albums on that i listen to regularly on my trusty Creative Zen 20GB and there was just no comparison. I'm agreived as there's nothing actually wrong with my Creative but got a new PC and the creative software won't work on Windows7 given it's like 6 years old.

Oh well the search continues....

Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. If it didn't sound good to you it didn't sound good. I haven't heard them but the noise cancelling 'phones that comes with it are supposed to be at least decent.

The older Creatives are still said to be some of the best sounding ever but there shouldn't be that much difference. The only thing I'd think about would be to next time give a new player a few more listens with different settings. It would be a shame to send back a decent sounding player because one of those horrible sound effect like VPT was turned on and you hadn't noticed.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg View Post
skip - I tried the ones it came with, ipod headphones (they're my girlfriends!) and headphones i have for my technics - all garbage. put 2 albums on that i listen to regularly on my trusty Creative Zen 20GB and there was just no comparison.
Wow. Either you're really, really, really picky about sound (in which case, you wouldn't be using mp3s) or you got a bad unit (which is rare, but can still happen).

The two I've owned are some of the better sounding players I've owned.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Banned

Sounds like you got a bad unit there - the Sony should sound fine right out of the box.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yah, never heard about complaints that Sony players sound so terribly awful. Sure, lots of folks don't care for the Sony EQ signature or have found some issues with hiss and what not...But don't recall anyone with that kind of a strongly negative reaction based on the sound alone.

Indeed, maybe a lemon?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A RB'd clip+, IMO, does sound better. Still, I personally think a Sony sounds better than a Cowon dap. Oh well, as they say, to each their own.