android
Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Default Unbranded MicroSDHC Card not recognised by Fuze v2

Hello all
Today I received my 8GB Fuze v2 and it's working marvellously, the only problem I'm having is with my new 32GB microSDHC card. It's unbranded (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270748358460 was the listing) and so far it's worked fine with my computer (via printer reader) and camera. It does not, however, work with my Fuze, which is why I bought it. I insert it, the Fuze states that it's refreshing my media which takes about ten seconds, and then I can't find any sign of the external card on the device itself. I've tried reformatting it (with both Windows and http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/ that official-looking utility) and also putting a song or two on it via Windows, but the Fuze will still not recognise it. Equally, when the Fuze is connected to my PC with the card inside it, Windows only shows the 8GB Fuze. Sadly, I don't have any other MicroSDHC cards, so I can't ascertain whether it's the Fuze or card at fault - I'm guessing the card, though.

Is there anything I haven't tried that could possibly work? If not I want to sort out getting a refund ASAP for the card. Are there any manufacturers of 32GB MicroSDHC cards - aside from Sandisk - which make cheaper, compatible cards? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a Sandisk card? 45+ for a memory card is very dear for me. The Fuze itself wasn't all that cheap for a 3-year old MP3 player: living in the UK, the best I could find was 45 for a refurbished one! I could have bought a new Fuze+ for that amount, but I decided Rockbox was worth it... I wasn't wrong.

Has nobody else tried a Fuze with an unbranded card? I did try Googling but to little avail. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by Sheeno; 06-04-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Branded or not a properly made card should have no problems working in a Fuze. I would go here and read up on the fake cards that are being sold on eBay and other places. While you're there be sure to download the h2testw utility and run it on your card. If it turns out to be fake, there's your problem.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I would be very surprised if it were fake considering that the vendor accepts refunds, they have great feedback on the item and it works fine with my camera. Nevertheless, I'm running the program now... got 3 hours to wait until it's finished though!

Old 06-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I'm not saying it is or it isn't fake. I'm saying that I've had no problems with no-name cards up to 16 GB in any of my Sansas. I've read several accounts from others regarding their positive experiences with 32 GB microsdhc cards in their Fuzes and Clip+.

Somethings different either about your Fuze or this card. The first place I'd look is where I pointed you. Fake cards are all over eBay. The next thing I would check would be if the Fuze has the latest firmware. The last one issued for the V2 Fuze was 02.03.33.

You may have found a genuine source of insanely cheap 32 GB microsdhc cards. However considering yours isn't working in a situation where other cards do I'd wonder whether if it was money well spent. Your results should answer that question. Let us know how it works out.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Will do. The process is now reading 6 hours left though, so I'll probably have to leave it overnight. I think it's so slow because I'm using my printer's card reader, or maybe it's the card's fault. My Fuze's firmware is up to date too.

I'm thinking that the results of the test will be clean, there aren't any issues so far, but this cheap card just doesn't work with Fuzes for whatever reason. That is completely uninformed conjecture on my part though; I could be entirely wrong. I just wish I had another card so I could make sure my Fuze definitely isn't at fault before the returns period expires. I might get a card from a local store tomorrow and then return it afterwards; do you know if it's true that you can't try products in one of your own devices in any electronics store? I heard that, although maybe it's just an urban myth.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator

When you don't know what's wrong you start checking what you can to eliminate them as the source of the problem. You're doing that now. Getting your hands on another card to test in your Fuze seems to be the next step if this one passes the test. If that works and the card is legit then there's something in the interaction between a working card and Fuze I'd have no idea how to check.

I doubt any of the big box stores are going to allow you to try things instore. You usually have to actually purchase the item and then return it if things don't work. You could always ask first then buy it if they won't allow that. Be sure what the return policy is if you do that. Some stores have fine print that won't allow refund on some items, just exchange for an identical working item.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

That guy is charging half what a real card is worth. If they were real he'd be charging what a real card is worth, so its probably not real.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM

So, the results are in, and they say that... the media is indeed "likely to be corrupted", with only ~900MB not being corrupted. Ah, I guess I'll have to pay the extra money for a Sandisk card. I'll return this one ASAP. I must say I'm surprised at how few people have raised issues with the cards, though. I'll go to my local store tomorrow and buy a card just to be 100% sure the Fuze is fine, which I'll promptly return unless they happen to have a 32GB Sandisk MicroSDHC card for less than 50 - very unlikely though. Thanks a lot for the help guys, especially skip252 for the link to the program. Next time I'll try to be as much of a shrewd buyer as you lot!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Administrator

We learn from experience. Here's hoping the vendor stands up to the return promise with no hassles.

The one thing I keep in mind when it comes to purchases from eBay or any place else. If it sound too good to be true, it is.

Try Amazon. Not the Marketplace vendors unless it's Fulfilled By Amazon. That way even if you get a bum card you're covered. I've seen members here report good results from Kingston, Transcend and Lexar and of course Sandisk. I'd get the Sandisk if I could afford it for the guarantee if nothing else.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM

just buy 2x16GB cards. ok, it's slightly inconvenient but it's much cheaper than a 32GB card. i bought mine from amazon uk for less than 16 pounds.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM

I went through a couple of bogus ebay 32gb purchases. one never shipped, was a stupid purchase, and took a while for ebay to refund my money. The other was from an honorable guy who bought a batch of what turned out to be bogus 32gb fake sandisk micro sd's. He refunded my money immediately and told me to throw out the card.

Then I bit the bullet and bought a 32gb Sandisk from Amazon for $55, shipped. works great in my Sansa, but the Fuze doesn't see it. I then insert a 16gb into the Fuze and it works no problem. I should mention I have rockbox'd the Fuze.

I haven't yet updated my Fuze rockbox to a daily build and am successfully using and enjoying the 32gb card in my rockbox'd sansa.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
Then I bit the bullet and bought a 32gb Sandisk from Amazon for $55, shipped. works great in my Sansa, but the Fuze doesn't see it. I then insert a 16gb into the Fuze and it works no problem. I should mention I have rockbox'd the Fuze.

I haven't yet updated my Fuze rockbox to a daily build and am successfully using and enjoying the 32gb card in my rockbox'd sansa.
I'm confused. Sansa is a brand name. The Fuze is a Sansa (hence this forum's subject heading: "Sansa Fuze" ). What Rockboxed Sansa player does your 32GB SanDisk card work in?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Sansa e260.
it is a legit Sandisk memory card. the Fuze doesnt like it (with the rockbox build I have on it), but the Sansa loves it.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:41 PM

I just upgraded my Fuze to most current build and the 32gb sandisk card works. guess my last build was funky.