android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Default I got my Galaxy Player 4.0, and I half-bricked it already, please call me stupid...

Hi,

Iam studying in Shanghai right now, and I saw they startet selling the Galaxy Player 4.0 Wifi (YP-G1) in China, and for 1699RMB (about 180) I got myself one from amazon.cn .

So far I really liked it alot, it was fast and could play all the movies i had. But i was startled to find out that it didnt have a android market installed.
Instead it came with a "samsung appstore", where a total of 8 apps where available...

I was really anxious to use many android apps, and not all are available as apk, or couldnt be installed for some reason.

So i tried my best, but went a bit too far :x
At first i managed to get it installed, but it would just close immediatly.

The recovery image also wouldnt let me install some update.zip, since it was 3e and needed a valid signature.

Then i did the stupid mistake to follow a guy saying its identical to the i9000, those roms should work to.

So I followed a guide and actually just wanted to get the clockworkmod working. I flashed a 6mb zkernel image including the clockworkmod. But turns out the player and the phone are not that simillar.

I can still get into download mode, but when i try to start the player i see the samsung letters, but then the screen turns black (background light on) and doesnt response anymore. also cant get into recovery mode.

I really tried my best to find a original kernel (yes i was so stupid to not backup everything before), but no luck so far, since the player is quiet new and not started to be sold everywhere.

Do i have some other options? Or is there only a) waiting for someone to upload an image, hopefully sometime soon or b) go to a samsung store and hope theyre kind enough to repair it?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM

a. Welcome to abi!
b. you are stupid. (no, I don't think so, but you did ask me to call you that, and I'm an accommodating guy )
c. I would try calling samsung. they have been helpful for me in the past (but remember that I live in the US.)
d. use this as a lesson to always backup, and don't flash ROMs from different devices onto yours. I don't know much about android ROMs, but I remember from the old WinMo days, if you flashed a ROM built for different radios, you were pretty much screwed. I assume android would not be that different.
e. I'm surprised your GP1 didn't have the marketplace, as Samsung has almost advertised that feature to death! Is this something only in your region, maybe?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Hey hey hey you are not stupid. I got the same player from china too but in hong kong and i have the market and samsung appstore. You can try going to your option and find this factory reset option i found while browsing and you can get the andriod market from filecrop by searching andriod market apk. Maybe china blocked the market place. Just wondering, does it have the youtube app since china blocked youtube.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 PM

BMNB1tch , did you find a way to backup the whole phone, i mean recovery mod and everything? Maybe you could upload it and give me a link.
But if you also cant use clockworkmod i think its not possible to backup the system roms.

I went to a samsung service center today, they actually just turned it on, saw it didnt work, checked if it maybe fell down (which it didnt) and told me i can change to a new one by talking to amazon where i bought it. And they gave me some paper to show i can change it. Will try to call amazon and find out what to do.

Do they actually have a way to find out what happened? I mean they also cant start the phone, and download mode just downloads new roms, right?

Of course they can always dissamble the phone and check whats on the memory inside. Hopefully it works anyway :x

Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 AM

But actually, i read some guides how to backup the boot.img and recovery.img, but as far as i understood them you need at least a clockworkmod recovery image or something.

Or is it possible to backup the boot image even without rooting your device?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM

I found an original YP-GB1 image from a korean forum, and now its running again.

BUT!!! the coordinates of the touch screen are messed up. left and right is ok, but up and down is wrong. if i want to click something on the bottom of the screen i should hit the top :x

Iam not giving up yet!!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Contracts on the new player.

Get it fixed so you can use it.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Sorry this is my first media player and i dont have a phone yet so i am quite new to andriod so i barely know any thing about rooting. So here are the ways to reset device. Settings-Privacy-Factory data reset & Settings-SD card and device storage-Format internal memory. Try unrooting before format. Good luck hopefully it works.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Well, i think the touch screen input is programmed somewhere into the ROM, looks like the Players from Korea and China using different touch screens, on county Y positive from the top, the other from the bottom.
I dont think i can change the factory.fs file, so i will have to keep looking for another ROM that works with my player.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

hey event, i messed up my android by accident then the home and lock button worked partially so i factory data reset it and everything is fine and is back to when you start your device. the only con is that you lose everything but your music. If your touchscreen still doesnt work try this it might work

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM

I went to the samsung service center, looks like i will just get a new one. dont know why they didnt repair it..

The problem is, i need the original boot and rom file to get it fully working again.

But you cant just copy them, you need to have some more tools. But those tools nobody adapted to the YP-G1, because so less people have got that player. I think it will take a few more weeks until somebody would upload it, thats why i just went to the samsung service center.

Lets see if they really bring a new one these days