android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Help Question about videos and bitrates

I've bought my X-fi2 a couple of weeks ago, after my Zen Micro died after 6 years of loyal service. It took some getting used to, but I'm really starting to love the thing. The sound quality is just phenomenal, I'm discovering dimensions to songs that I hadn't discovered before.

But that's not what I'm here for. I've put some videos on the player and they keep freezing. I know this is probably due to the bitrate of my videos being too high, but I can't quite figure out what the solution is.
I'm not a total noob, but I don't fully understand what the optimal bitrate is for different video resolutions. I've noticed that the amount of so-called freezing differs for different videos. To clarify, some examples of files:
- 352*624, approx. 1100 kbps
- 480*640, approx. 1000 kbps

I have noticed that for files with lower bitrates the freezing tends to occur less frequent and the same holds for shorter videos (ceteris paribus). But the demo files that were included on the player also have bitrates of 1200 kbps (with a resolution of 272*480), so my conjecture now is that the bitrate in combination with the resolution is the problem.

So, is there someone who can explain to me this whole bitrate thing works (and why it is a problem if it's too high) and how I can solve this?

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]