android
  #81  
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM
ronaldo_brasil ronaldo_brasil is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

can someone compare sgp 4.0 and 5.0

does voodoo really makes difference?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #82  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 AM
dacari's Avatar
dacari dacari is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The Voodoo kernel doesn't work on the 5.0, so that confirms the lack of the wolfson chip.
Well, yes but not at all since the 50 has wolfson DAC too but voodoo doesn't work and won't work if anyone is developing some kernel/rom tweak.

The wifi 4.0 has been out for a year in some contries but until last week we can install voodoo, thanks to our friend -SteveS- that give us the kernel mod.

Obviously I won't see the voodoo in my 50, it seems nobody care this player even Samsung
Reply With Quote

  #83  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM
-SteveS- -SteveS- is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacari View Post
Well, yes but not at all since the 50 has wolfson DAC too but voodoo doesn't work and won't work if anyone is developing some kernel/rom tweak.

The wifi 4.0 has been out for a year in some contries but until last week we can install voodoo, thanks to our friend -SteveS- that give us the kernel mod.

Obviously I won't see the voodoo in my 50, it seems nobody care this player even Samsung
The 5.0 doesn't have wolfson dac but a yamaha dac
Reply With Quote

  #84  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 AM
dacari's Avatar
dacari dacari is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
The 5.0 doesn't have wolfson dac but a yamaha dac
Yes about wifi 5.0 but I was referring to player 50.
Reply With Quote

  #85  
Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM
-SteveS- -SteveS- is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacari View Post
Yes about wifi 5.0 but I was referring to player 50.
Oh, sorry. I thought you was referring to the 5.0
Reply With Quote

  #86  
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 AM
ronaldo_brasil ronaldo_brasil is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
The 5.0 doesn't have wolfson dac but a yamaha dac
how can samsung put crappy audio chip in one of their music players.
can yamaha dac be better than wolfson dac?
Reply With Quote

  #87  
Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 AM
-SteveS- -SteveS- is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo_brasil View Post
how can samsung put crappy audio chip in one of their music players.
can yamaha dac be better than wolfson dac?
Here is a detailed and technical analysis of the yamaha MC-1N2 codec inside SGSII (the same in player 5.0 and in newer samsung smartphone like Galaxy Note): http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...best-redefined
Reply With Quote

  #88  
Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 AM
-SteveS- -SteveS- is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
Oh, sorry. I thought you was referring to the 5.0
The galaxy player 50 kernel is too different from GP4.0 and GP5.0. It's a completely different android version (2.1 vs 2.3) so the kernel I developed for the 4.0 doesn't work for the 50 even if it has the same audio dac. Maybe someone who has the player and has some sklls in kernel programming could start developing some tweaks for it...
Reply With Quote

  #89  
Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 AM
dacari's Avatar
dacari dacari is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
The galaxy player 50 kernel is too different from GP4.0 and GP5.0. It's a completely different android version (2.1 vs 2.3) so the kernel I developed for the 4.0 doesn't work for the 50 even if it has the same audio dac. Maybe someone who has the player and has some sklls in kernel programming could start developing some tweaks for it...
I doubt that, since it seems the most underrated player ever as a result of poor screen resolution

If I had enough knowledge no doubt I will do. Anyway the 50 sounds extremely well and powerful without it, warmer than 4.0 and lacks some of the transparency that voodoo adds to 4.0.
Reply With Quote

  #90  
Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Albie Albie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Default

I just received a brand new GP5.0 and I can confirm that its Yamaha YMU823 DAC produces audible levels of noise and harmonic distortion when using high-end IEMs The sound lacks clarity, stereo separation, detail and it's a bit lifeless. I can hear CPU, GSM and EDGE sound described in AnandTech's article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/13) I strongly suggest you read the article as it answers many questions asked on this thread. Seems to me that the damn DAC is flawed!

GP4.0's Wolfson DAC is much better compared to the Yamaha regarding audio quality, but as far as I know the Yamaha DAC consumes less power and is cheaper for the manufacturer. Putting a DAC like this on a device like this is an outrage IMO. If, however, you're not using audiophile level IEM's with low impedance this shouldn't be a problem to you.

Seems like my iPhone4 will remain as my music player and the GP5.0 will be my Android sandbox and portable video player.

Tested with Ultimate Ears 500 & Sennheiser IE 8
Reply With Quote

  #91  
Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 AM
ronaldo_brasil ronaldo_brasil is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I just received a brand new GP5.0 and I can confirm that its Yamaha YMU823 DAC produces audible levels of noise and harmonic distortion when using high-end IEMs The sound lacks clarity, stereo separation, detail and it's a bit lifeless. I can hear CPU, GSM and EDGE sound described in AnandTech's article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/13) I strongly suggest you read the article as it answers many questions asked on this thread. Seems to me that the damn DAC is flawed!

GP4.0's Wolfson DAC is much better compared to the Yamaha regarding audio quality, but as far as I know the Yamaha DAC consumes less power and is cheaper for the manufacturer. Putting a DAC like this on a device like this is an outrage IMO. If, however, you're not using audiophile level IEM's with low impedance this shouldn't be a problem to you.

Seems like my iPhone4 will remain as my music player and the GP5.0 will be my Android sandbox and portable video player.

Tested with Ultimate Ears 500 & Sennheiser IE 8
did you use music players like playerpro, poweramp or just stock player?
Reply With Quote

  #92  
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM
tcat's Avatar
tcat tcat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 302
Default

I bought the 5.0 as an Optimus-V phone "replacement". Use it mainly for games, email, GrooveIP calling, gadgets... and it's superb sound is just a bonus. Only used the earbuds once, just sounds good playing through the speakers (compared to phone). Sounds better through my PC speakers (than my PC). But for me it's a "music player" maybe 5% of the time. Videos look and sound great. Will be dropping my Optimus for a cheap $5/mo phone plan, need nothing else.
Reply With Quote

  #93  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 PM
KillBill KillBill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington D.C
Posts: 13
Default

Just wanted to know if you guys think the 4.0 will be a upgrade over my iphone 3gs sq.
Reply With Quote

  #94  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM
parchping parchping is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 47
Default

I'd have to see blind testing results Albie. The sound I get out of my GP 5.0 is quite good. I use PlayerPro and Sennheiser HD580's. Audio is well known to be very subjective and it is difficult to repeat test results with different people.

Steve
Reply With Quote

  #95  
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Big Sky's Avatar
Big Sky Big Sky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Land of Chicken Pot Pies
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo_brasil View Post
how can samsung put crappy audio chip in one of their music players.
can yamaha dac be better than wolfson dac?

IMO yes, Wolfson makes a good DAC and I found the Wolfson DAC to perform better in my 5.5 iPod and the later series of iPods. I have some Home audio with Yamaha DAC's and found playing over the Big Rig that it sounds better. While the verdict is still out on the SGP I have to go with previous experience. Yamaha DAC's...well produce a Natural sound on the Big-Rig Stereo. Not hi-end but pretty damn nice for the money.
Reply With Quote

  #96  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Albie Albie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Default

I used the stock player and now have also tested using PlayerPro with similar results regarding the distortion but better overall audio quality. Then again the player only enhances the digital sound before it hits the flawed DAC and the analog output is distorted no matter how sweet the input is, right?

The noise I hear sounds something like this: http://soundcloud.com/anandtech/gala...cpu-edge-noise

I think Yamaha made a cheap, small and very low power DAC to compete with the Wolfson chip failing in one important thing: sound quality. Most of the customers won't know the difference if they don't use low impedance isolating IEM's and don't have such excessive strive for eargasms.
Reply With Quote

  #97  
Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 PM
gupti's Avatar
gupti gupti is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 171
Default

Does anybody know what program Francois Simond used to test the Yamaha chip in the S II? (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/13)
Reply With Quote

  #98  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Thoughts Thoughts is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Default

I hear that crap in background that Albie posted. It is not as loud as the sample but that is what you hear. I am glad I am not crazy. It got my attention right away and I thought there was something wrong with my file.

How is it that some people can't hear this on the 5.0?
Reply With Quote

  #99  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Lagoo56's Avatar
Lagoo56 Lagoo56 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SI,NY
Posts: 737
Default

I hear absolutely nothing in the background while listening to music on my SGP 5.0,and even when just having headphones on with nothing playing I still hear nothing in the background.
__________________
DAPs I own: Rockboxed Sansa C250 2GB+64GB MicroSDXC
Tablets I own:Rooted 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running Sungsonic 2 HD JB 4.1.2
Rooted 80GB Asus Memopad HD 7
Reply With Quote

  #100  
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 AM
mattg3 mattg3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 128
Default

I dont hear it either but i use poweramp which is much louder than other music apps so I keep my volume lower.Maybe its there but I dont hear it.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
4.0, 5.0, galaxy s, samsung, sound quality, wifi, yp-g1, yp-g70

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.