android
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM

can someone compare sgp 4.0 and 5.0

does voodoo really makes difference?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The Voodoo kernel doesn't work on the 5.0, so that confirms the lack of the wolfson chip.
Well, yes but not at all since the 50 has wolfson DAC too but voodoo doesn't work and won't work if anyone is developing some kernel/rom tweak.

The wifi 4.0 has been out for a year in some contries but until last week we can install voodoo, thanks to our friend -SteveS- that give us the kernel mod.

Obviously I won't see the voodoo in my 50, it seems nobody care this player even Samsung

Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacari View Post
Well, yes but not at all since the 50 has wolfson DAC too but voodoo doesn't work and won't work if anyone is developing some kernel/rom tweak.

The wifi 4.0 has been out for a year in some contries but until last week we can install voodoo, thanks to our friend -SteveS- that give us the kernel mod.

Obviously I won't see the voodoo in my 50, it seems nobody care this player even Samsung
The 5.0 doesn't have wolfson dac but a yamaha dac

Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
Yes about wifi 5.0 but I was referring to player 50.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacari View Post
Yes about wifi 5.0 but I was referring to player 50.
Oh, sorry. I thought you was referring to the 5.0

Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
how can samsung put crappy audio chip in one of their music players.
can yamaha dac be better than wolfson dac?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo_brasil View Post
Here is a detailed and technical analysis of the yamaha MC-1N2 codec inside SGSII (the same in player 5.0 and in newer samsung smartphone like Galaxy Note): http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...best-redefined

Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I thought you was referring to the 5.0
The galaxy player 50 kernel is too different from GP4.0 and GP5.0. It's a completely different android version (2.1 vs 2.3) so the kernel I developed for the 4.0 doesn't work for the 50 even if it has the same audio dac. Maybe someone who has the player and has some sklls in kernel programming could start developing some tweaks for it...

Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
The galaxy player 50 kernel is too different from GP4.0 and GP5.0. It's a completely different android version (2.1 vs 2.3) so the kernel I developed for the 4.0 doesn't work for the 50 even if it has the same audio dac. Maybe someone who has the player and has some sklls in kernel programming could start developing some tweaks for it...
I doubt that, since it seems the most underrated player ever as a result of poor screen resolution

If I had enough knowledge no doubt I will do. Anyway the 50 sounds extremely well and powerful without it, warmer than 4.0 and lacks some of the transparency that voodoo adds to 4.0.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 AM

I just received a brand new GP5.0 and I can confirm that its Yamaha YMU823 DAC produces audible levels of noise and harmonic distortion when using high-end IEMs The sound lacks clarity, stereo separation, detail and it's a bit lifeless. I can hear CPU, GSM and EDGE sound described in AnandTech's article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/13) I strongly suggest you read the article as it answers many questions asked on this thread. Seems to me that the damn DAC is flawed!

GP4.0's Wolfson DAC is much better compared to the Yamaha regarding audio quality, but as far as I know the Yamaha DAC consumes less power and is cheaper for the manufacturer. Putting a DAC like this on a device like this is an outrage IMO. If, however, you're not using audiophile level IEM's with low impedance this shouldn't be a problem to you.

Seems like my iPhone4 will remain as my music player and the GP5.0 will be my Android sandbox and portable video player.

Tested with Ultimate Ears 500 & Sennheiser IE 8

Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I just received a brand new GP5.0 and I can confirm that its Yamaha YMU823 DAC produces audible levels of noise and harmonic distortion when using high-end IEMs The sound lacks clarity, stereo separation, detail and it's a bit lifeless. I can hear CPU, GSM and EDGE sound described in AnandTech's article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/13) I strongly suggest you read the article as it answers many questions asked on this thread. Seems to me that the damn DAC is flawed!

GP4.0's Wolfson DAC is much better compared to the Yamaha regarding audio quality, but as far as I know the Yamaha DAC consumes less power and is cheaper for the manufacturer. Putting a DAC like this on a device like this is an outrage IMO. If, however, you're not using audiophile level IEM's with low impedance this shouldn't be a problem to you.

Seems like my iPhone4 will remain as my music player and the GP5.0 will be my Android sandbox and portable video player.

Tested with Ultimate Ears 500 & Sennheiser IE 8
did you use music players like playerpro, poweramp or just stock player?

Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM

I bought the 5.0 as an Optimus-V phone "replacement". Use it mainly for games, email, GrooveIP calling, gadgets... and it's superb sound is just a bonus. Only used the earbuds once, just sounds good playing through the speakers (compared to phone). Sounds better through my PC speakers (than my PC). But for me it's a "music player" maybe 5% of the time. Videos look and sound great. Will be dropping my Optimus for a cheap $5/mo phone plan, need nothing else.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 PM

Just wanted to know if you guys think the 4.0 will be a upgrade over my iphone 3gs sq.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM

I'd have to see blind testing results Albie. The sound I get out of my GP 5.0 is quite good. I use PlayerPro and Sennheiser HD580's. Audio is well known to be very subjective and it is difficult to repeat test results with different people.

Steve

Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo_brasil View Post

IMO yes, Wolfson makes a good DAC and I found the Wolfson DAC to perform better in my 5.5 iPod and the later series of iPods. I have some Home audio with Yamaha DAC's and found playing over the Big Rig that it sounds better. While the verdict is still out on the SGP I have to go with previous experience. Yamaha DAC's...well produce a Natural sound on the Big-Rig Stereo. Not hi-end but pretty damn nice for the money.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 AM

I used the stock player and now have also tested using PlayerPro with similar results regarding the distortion but better overall audio quality. Then again the player only enhances the digital sound before it hits the flawed DAC and the analog output is distorted no matter how sweet the input is, right?

The noise I hear sounds something like this: http://soundcloud.com/anandtech/gala...cpu-edge-noise

I think Yamaha made a cheap, small and very low power DAC to compete with the Wolfson chip failing in one important thing: sound quality. Most of the customers won't know the difference if they don't use low impedance isolating IEM's and don't have such excessive strive for eargasms.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 PM

Does anybody know what program Francois Simond used to test the Yamaha chip in the S II? (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/13)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM

I hear that crap in background that Albie posted. It is not as loud as the sample but that is what you hear. I am glad I am not crazy. It got my attention right away and I thought there was something wrong with my file.

How is it that some people can't hear this on the 5.0?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM

I hear absolutely nothing in the background while listening to music on my SGP 5.0,and even when just having headphones on with nothing playing I still hear nothing in the background.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 AM

I dont hear it either but i use poweramp which is much louder than other music apps so I keep my volume lower.Maybe its there but I dont hear it.

Tags
4.0, 5.0, galaxy s, samsung, sound quality, wifi, yp-g1, yp-g70