android
Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 AM

Default Cowon X7 battery does not last long.

I have had my cowon X7 since January and I love it. But I feel that the X7 lasts a lot less in battery time than what it did before. I listened to music for around 30 minutes today and it went from 75% to 25%. I have a feeling that that is because the battery got depleted but is that really supposed to destroy the battery in this way? If getting depleted really does make the battery a lot weaker I do not think it is good enough. You should be able to deplete the battery without the battery taking damage from it. And it has only happened 3 times.

My Firmwire is 2.07

What is causing this problem and is there a fix for it?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 AM

Letting a battery go completely dead is very bad for it. That's true of any battery including your car battery. Letting it happen 3 times is 3 times as bad for it.

This is especially true if you leave it depleted. The player stops before the battery is totally dead to protect it. But if you leave it that way it self-discharges, as do all rechargeable batteries, and dies completely. This is what ruins batteries. I don't know if you let it stay depleted but if you did you should expect to ruin the battery.

You say that shouldn't happen but you're dealing with physical laws and right and wrong doesn't really influence physics all that much.

Get the battery replaced and take better care of the new one and you'll get better service from it.

For what it's worth I own a fairly large number of battery powered devices and I often don't use some of them for extended periods. I always make sure they have a full charge if I'm not going to be using them for a while and then I make sure it gets charged at least every month. As a result batteries tend to last me for years.

I have a friend who also has rechargeable devices and is less careful about how she cares for them. She typically gets a year or two from batteries in the same devices that last me for years. She's aware of the problem and says she'd rather replace them than worry about it.

Barry