android
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Default Gaming/Music headphones <$150

Hey there, I have currently decided to buy a new headset, for gaming and listening to music. My price range is around $50-$150, cutting down my budget due to work reasons etc.

I'm looking for a comfy, durable headset which will not get irritating after long hours of use. I will be mainly using these for gaming. Preferably Closed design as I don't want any leakage and do not really want to be disturbed by background noises.

This headset will be combined with a clip on mic or just a desktop mic, I am still unsure of this. But I have been looking into this quite thoroughly and have found the Zalman ZM-MIC1 clip on microphone. I only choose a clip on as I have heard that the inbuilt mics aren't the best of quality. I will be using the majority of my time doing recordings of my voice in games etc. Such as voice-overs, let's plays and walkthroughs. So I need crystal clear audio. If this is possible of course. Let me know if it can be done.

So, what I am basically asking is, what headphones can I get for around this price with a clip on microphone that will be heard clearly by others. This is my first time here and the first thread I've made on this forum, so if this is incorrect or something is wrong, or there is already a thread or area specifically made for this, please let me know.

By the way guys, I am currently in Brisbane, Australia. So if you know of any good shops for headphones/microphones, I would be grateful if you were to tell me know where one is or the names of some. Cheers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM

If you'll be producing content using this set up, it might be a good idea to invest in some studio monitor headphones. They will let you pick up on any of the small faults in your recording that 'hi-fi'/consumer headphones might gloss over. Unfortunately, this also means that many such headphones are less than ideal for pleasurable music listening, since they are too revealing and have frequency responses that often sound harsh. Still, if you have the option, I'd suggest you try some Sony MDR-V6/MDR-7506 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans. The latter is usually considered to be slightly more musical, but its also a little more expensive. Another option is the Sennheiser HD280 or any other studio monitor headphone. Also, currently many people are excited about Superlux headphones (f.e. the HD698B and the HD660). I had the chance to audition the HD660 and was really impressed with how awesomely it performed considering its ridiculously low price (around 50$). This would also give you the chance to buy a better quality microphone, those clip-ons dont sound like they'd offer the most clear recording quality.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I recently bought the Samson SR-850 for $37 which is the clone of the Superlux 668B, and they are fantastic. They are semi-opened though so sound will leak. All the Superlux headphones have been receiving praises on the Head-Fi forum because of their value.

However, for you, the Creative Aurvana Live! and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are better option because they are closed and have excellent sound quality.

Have you taken a look at the Head-Fi headphones comparison? It's a very good place to compare headphones

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-84-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-fa-004-koss-ur55-added-06-06

Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have been recently looking into the Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans and have decided that they are probably the best choice if I were to get a clip on. I am currently getting a mate who has the Zalman clip on mic to do a audio test with it. From there I will decide if it lacks quality audio or if it is just what I need. So, if I like it, I will probably go with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans.

But if this is not the case, I will do more searching for another, better quality clip on mic, or even just get an inbuilt mic with a different headset. But that probably wont happen, as I have heard frequently that inbuilt mics are horrible for audio recording etc.

If you guys have any advice for what I should look into for a great headset or mic, I would be highly grateful.

Oh, one other thing. I have heard, apparently, the Audio Technica ATH-M50's aren't sold in shops in Australia. And they are only sold in online markets, which I cannot take part in. This frustrates me. So, is this true? Anyone here from australia care to tell me where I could find some quality headphone shops in the Queensland brisbane area? Or even just a normal shop which might sell these?

Also.. aimran, just took a look at that comparison thing, thanks for that, I'll keep reading through it.

Thanks for all the information guys.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM

I don't know if this might come in too late. I have a pair of Bose AE2, which is about 150$ in price. They are a bit pricy in regards to SQ but the comfortability is more than excellent, it's by far the most comfy pair of headphones I have ever tried. I think the comfort is essential as well, when you game it shouldn't be too irritating or too heavy for consequent hours of use.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally use a no brand headset because it captures sound (Or at least my voice) really well. You wont get stellar sound quality from a headset, so it doesn't make any sense to pay much for one. Microsoft Lifechat is a good set though, there the mic is worth the purchase.

Anyway I just wear the headset around my neck, propped up so that its in the right place then use whatever headphones I want. Sure might not win any fashion points but it works really well compared to getting a clip on mic which will have to be pumped up so high that everything else will be heard along with your voice.

If you cant find the ATH-M50 what about the Sennheiser HD25 SP? Those two headphones share similar characteristics, and price points.

Tags
australia, gaming, headphones, microphone, music