android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default The beginning of the end......no more Zune Originals.

Quote:
Microsoft have now discontinued the selling of its Zune HD original devices which were sold directly from the company. On it's website, Microsoft recommends using Best Buy or Walmart to buy a Zune HD device, by saying "we are no longer taking new orders for Zune Originals. To purchase a Zune HD device, please visit one of our retailers." Following on with that, on its website, Microsoft are recommending users to purchase a Windows Phone instead which also offers similar features to the Zune.

While the purchasing of the ordinary Zune HD devices is still open to consumers at a couple of stores, ZuneBoards, which first spotted the change, has stated that they believe this is the beginning of Microsoft's efforts to take the Zune out of the market. Given that the Zune HD original devices were customised versions of the standard Zune device, it won't affect the overall availability to consumers but it does represent the beginning of the end for the portable music device.
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...iginal-devices

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/04/z...erage-and-unc/

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 07-04-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for ruining my morning, Marv...

BTW, real classy tags...

Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Meh, I still got my 64gb black z:hd!!! Good enough,...

Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
it won't affect the overall availability to consumers
Maybe not in the US, but wasn't Zune Originals the only place for Canadians and Australians to get the HD? Translation, the JOKE that the HD was available to Canadians is finally over.

Steve

Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Don't know how anyone can be surprised at this.

Some here tried to deny it, but it was obvious to anyone who wanted to use some logic - the release of the Zune to Canada (for example) was just a way to dump off excess stock - it had NOTHING to do with growing the brand.

What's ridiculous is that they never got around to agressively slashing the price. We never saw a $99 32GB Zune HD - and so it sat on shelves even longer. I would've picked one up at that price for sure.

Incidentally (but not surprisingly) I haven't EVER seen a Zune HD in person. Ever. I commute by train for 2 hours a day, and have seen all sorts of MP3 players, phones and tablets. Not once have I seen a Zune product (HD or prior version). What a dismal failure.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post

What's ridiculous is that they never got around to agressively slashing the price. We never saw a $99 32GB Zune HD - and so it sat on shelves even longer. I would've picked one up at that price for sure.

Incidentally (but not surprisingly) I haven't EVER seen a Zune HD in person. Ever. I commute by train for 2 hours a day, and have seen all sorts of MP3 players, phones and tablets. Not once have I seen a Zune product (HD or prior version).
Even I would have bought one if they'd dropped it to $99 for 32GB....lol. And I think I only saw a Zune:HD once, and that was at a Best Buy.....Walmart in my town only had a couple of the older flash Zunes, and a Zune 120 in their display case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
What a dismal failure.
For all the jokes I've made, I look at it as more of a disappointment than a failure....the hardware is really nice looking, the UI in the videos I saw looked cool, seems like a lot of potential never was quite realized. Maybe if somewhere along the way they'd put somebody with more vision, and a little more separation from the overall corporate structure, in charge of the whole thing , it could have been more of a force in the marketplace.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Le sigh...

It was still a great value for the price, and I think 99 bucks for a 32GB would be ridiculously low. Freaking awesome, but I don't think it's a realistic business model. They probably wouldn't turn a profit on any of that, and right now, they can potentially still sell those unsold models. The device was sorta DOA because the uneducated consumer goes right for the iPods while the supposedly target consumer, educated folks who want a quality "media-centric" player (i.e. a lot of us on here) take one look at it and see its short comings and jump on a Cowon player. Zune is stuck in the middle, and wasn't able to crank them out cheap enough to have the price be an end-all sort of factor in this race.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM

I don't think Dave can explain this one as usual. It's kind of obvious its really dead. We still will get apps for a bit but no firmware updates(really over due) and all that.

It's all Windows Phone 7's fault. It's like the evil step sister that actually wins.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol of course he can't. And I don't think we're gonna get a tweet that says "Hey guys, don't worry! We're not f***ing you up the a$$!"

I don't get it. MS has enough money, they don't need to drop one to support the other. Rather, they shouldn't need to... Ugh.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 PM

I agree. Look at Apple, they have 3 devices and they have the money to upgrade it every year and even have the time to make their own processors. MS has so many different teams, and so much money that I don't know why they would have to do something like this. I know your putting your focus on WP7 and getting Nokia here but no reason to kill off something because you, yourself made such a disappointment to others.

Look at Apple(yes I bring them up again), the next-gen iPod Touch won't be a massive upgrade, it'll be a minor one since they're focusing on iPhone and iPad and the Mac. I know this because in the iOS5 Beta, references inside of the code, showed the existing iPod as iPod Touch 4,1 and next-gen being the 4,2.

Microsoft is messing with a bunch of things and I'm pretty sure many people would love to get a brand new Zune HD2 with updated 2011 specs.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Eh, Microsoft has a considerable amount more going on for them than Apple, but I get your point, wthsound1.

I'd absolutely love a ZHD2. Probably. Though, I wouldn't buy one until my current one breaks, as I always do... Not one much for superfluous spending.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
It was still a great value for the price, and I think 99 bucks for a 32GB would be ridiculously low. Freaking awesome, but I don't think it's a realistic business model.
Definitely not a realistic business model... just saying that they were obviously trying to get rid of these things, and still refused to drop the price low enough to get them off the shelves. I really doubt they sold many at their current price. It's hard to justify the price on a dead product that lacks many of the features the competition has.

All this work on WP7 devices is nice, but how hard is it to release one of them WITHOUT the phone function and with increased storage? Does no-one want to make one? The iPod Touch sells extremely sell still, so there's definitely a huge market for media devices.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 PM

I don't know why it is. No confidence? I've heard Microsoft loses focus of things sometimes. Like Vista, took too long to make because lack of focus and because of that, they had to reboot the entire project. Windows Phone 7, they didn't see the iPhone threat and it took them 2 years to realise that they needed to reboot the WP7 development. It would've been here 2 years earlier but they lost focus and were, I guess, ignorant with the iPhone. That's why RIM is dying and Nokia is dropping rapidly.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Translation, the JOKE that the HD was available to Canadians is finally over.
True, but the biggest joke is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowin.net
Following on with that, on its website, Microsoft are recommending users to purchase a Windows Phone instead which also offers similar features to the Zune.
That's like saying, "Hey, we heard you want a mailbox...so we suggest you buy one of our 5-bedroom houses: IT HAS A MAILBOX INCLUDED!"

Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ouch...I do weep...This makes me sad and I never got around to buying a Zune.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Yeah, right. May I buy the Brooklyn Bridge from you?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A+ for your analogy, epithetless.

les, you still can... Just not with a cheesey engraving.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ but...but...i wanted the cheesy engraving!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then mail it to me. I'll carve somethin' for you! I can't promise the HD will still work when you get it back, but hey, who needs a PMP to actually do things? Just looking at it is good enough for you, right?

Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Yesterday the only other person in the world that I know with a ZuneHD bought an 32 gig iPod touch 4 because he was fed up with the 16 gig ZuneHD. He was bummed it didnt have HD radio but then he realized that there aren't any HD radio stations around. If I had the money I would do the same but alas I am but a poor man surviving. Zune is now dead. There is nothing Dave could possibly say to change my mind except announce a new device thats not completely f****d from the start. Its like they didn't realize that the iPod touch and cowon players existed. I can't wait to see WP7 fail like kin and Zune. Microsoft is like a 5 year old drawing with crayons, its really cute and you might put it on the fridge but its by no means art. I hate my employer.

Tags
dead duck, it's dead, ms lied, rip zunehd, sayonara z:hd, z:hd