android
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Default Offical Q&A Thread

Just wanted to start a new thread for people who have questions and answers about the new 4.0 and 5.0 models.

I'll ask first!

Does anyone have a set up video of a first time run of the Korean devices? I'm looking forward to getting mine and want to watch someone run one of them for the first time so I know what to expect for the first time.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Here's a question for someone in the know to stumble upon and hopefully answer:
Now that I've got a yp-GB1 on the way, where can I get a replacement battery? and Are their any other batteries which could replace the provided one (AB474350BK 1250mAh)? The galaxy s phone (i9000) battery seems inappropriate as it is 1500mAh.

This blog seems to suggest that there is one (AB474350BE) that would be compliant, and there's a nifty charger (EBH934KBBK) shown there too.

Last edited by J0ckie; 07-21-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: New information

Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 PM

I'm curious to learn more about how GPS works on these devices, specifically using it when not connected over Wifi. If you've already played around with the GPS (tag photo, maps, etc) please share your insights.

I'm reading through the owner's manual and also found some good info here: http://androidforums.com/android-app...e-offline.html

Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM

I would like to know if anyone else has ordered one from exportprive.com, and if so have they actually recieved it and how long did it take to actually be shipped?

Also any experience with rooting, overclocking and customisations?
Best audio apps?

Old 07-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Default shipping

I ordered mine from exportprive on 7/12, it now says its in SFO at customs-other and a web search says that means its going to the USPS and I should get it in a few days (SF Bay Area). I will let you know the exact length of time but it looks like less than a week from order date!!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajthoma View Post
I ordered mine from exportprive on 7/12, it now says its in SFO at customs-other and a web search says that means its going to the USPS and I should get it in a few days (SF Bay Area). I will let you know the exact length of time but it looks like less than a week from order date!!
Which model did you get, and how long until they actually gave you a tracking number?

I ordered the 32GB 5.0 on Sunday evening (the 10th), and despite being listed as "Processed in 48H", it still hasn't been sent.
I didn't even get an email confirming the order (only the payment being confirmed by moneybookers. Funnily enough moneybookers even sent me a reminder email today to expect it on my statement. Very efficient and informative when it comes to taking your money!), let alone that there would be a delay.
When I contacted them to find out exactly what "shipping in process" meant, they apologised for the delay, said it should be sent yesterday and that I would recieve an email and tracking number.
I didn't, so I assume it still hasn't been sent.
I'm actually actually going away in a bit over a week (part of the reason I want the thing), and I'm running out of time.
Not impressed with the lack of communication and misrepresentation to be honest.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Default reply

I ordered the 4" 32 GB. It also said in process or something like that for 2 days. Then it gave me a link to some download in Korean that I didn't want to download. I clicked cancel a couple of times and then if sent me to some shipping site that showed its shipping status. It was in Customs SFO and was released yesterday. After it shipped you can go to order history, click more and it will give the tracking number which will open (after the cancel install) the shipping status/tracking info. Mine appears to be in the "mail" now. Should get it today or tomorrow (fingers crossed)!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Straight enough question, I hope I get a straight enough answer:
Does the volume on the 4.0 or 5.0 go louder than the volume on the touch/iPhone 4?
Full-sized headphones would really like to know,...

Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Samsung Moderator

My French G1 and G70 don't sound as loud as my other Samsung DAPs in EU region code.
I assume this is only due to the French volume restriction but I don't know if I can bypass it on these devices. Probably not as easy as the usual config.dat trick. Maybe in flashing it with a Korean Android version...

As a result, it's a bit hard for them to drive my Ultrasone Pro 900...

Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

Hi im wondering does a galaxy s or s2 battery would fit in the wifi 4.0? the galaxy s is similar and the battery look the same size but the s2 battery looks longer, and is exportprive trusted? and for cases which one would you recommend? http://www.exportprive.com/rearth-ri...k-p-16512.html or http://www.exportprive.com/zenus-car...k-p-16547.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Straight enough question, I hope I get a straight enough answer:
Does the volume on the 4.0 or 5.0 go louder than the volume on the touch/iPhone 4?
Full-sized headphones would really like to know,...
Yes, extremely louder, it is like 3 times louder

Last edited by BMNB1tch; 07-17-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
Hi im wondering does a galaxy s or s2 battery would fit in the wifi 4.0? the galaxy s is similar and the battery look the same size but the s2 battery looks longer, and is exportprive trusted?
I don't have a Galaxy S or S2 but I took these pictures to help you:

The battery is 4.2 x 5.2 x 0.5 mm

It's interesting to see the battery has been produced in January 2011 while the G1 has been produced in June and it's also interesting to point out the G1 is made in Korea while usually Samsung DAPs are made in China or Indonesia

Yes Exportprive is trusted, I'm in regular contact with the manager.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
Hi im wondering does a galaxy s or s2 battery would fit in the wifi 4.0? the galaxy s is similar and the battery look the same size but the s2 battery looks longer, and is exportprive trusted?r
Galaxy Player use 1200mAh battery, while Galaxy S use 1500mAh. It doesn't look like it will fit.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Are the 4.0 and 5.0 upgradeable to Android 2.3 right now?

Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEO View Post
Are the 4.0 and 5.0 upgradeable to Android 2.3 right now?
Unfortunetly.. not yet

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Default Locale and GPS

How would I go about changing my yp-gb1 (newly arrived from exportprive) to an English/Japanese locale, now it is set to English/Korean.
Also, what about using GPS? Should one just press the 'Navigation' and then wave it at the sky? What about maps? This is all without wifi. Can I not connect to the internet with the USB through an online PC?
Won't someone start a thread with great advice for new owners of the 4" and 5" devices that we can all add to as and when we figure stuff out. Perhaps I'll start it unless someone gets in there before me.

Glad I got the yp-gb1. It is just right!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM

is there a decent android 4.0 4g tablet at all?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0ckie View Post
Also, what about using GPS? Should one just press the 'Navigation' and then wave it at the sky? What about maps? This is all without wifi. Can I not connect to the internet with the USB through an online PC?
You have to turn on the GPS first. Go to 'Settings', 'Location & Security', select 'Use GPS satellites'. You should see a satellite icon appear on top/notification bar. Wait until GPS can pick up the satellites. Turn the GPS off if you don't need it. You can find info on GPS, maps, and navigation on the English manual starting from page 66.

You can't connect the Internet through USB with an online PC. You need to have wi-fi connection in order to connect to the Internet.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 PM

Default Some answers

Thanks bigl.
I did turn on the gps but wasn't waving it vigurously enough at the sky or perhaps it was just because I was indoors. Anyway, outdoors, gps works so I'm happy.
Through a wifi connection seems the only way to connect to the web as stated by you.

There seem to be some options for Japanese input. A free app called morelocale 2 seems pretty good for adding different locales. Another free one called OpenWnm looks pretty good for adding a Japanese keyboard. The former app seems to change the look but not all the menus into Japanese (or whatever other language/locale you add); the latter gives one a way of actually composing text in Japanese (hiragana, katakana and kanji).
Also there is an app called Simeji with seems to work like a transparent skin, allowing one to compose something in Japanese, then copy and paste it into a search field or wherever.

Another question or two: How does one lock the phone? and Must one start the task manager to turn off unwanted programs or is there a quicker way?

(Slight bump of my much earlier question about replacement batteries or the yp-gb1.)

Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM

So I got my 5.0 and a gel case for it. I noticed that the case has the cut outs from the HDMI port and the Antenna but the device doesn't have these. I don't care about either but I was wondering what models have these and what model I got?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Samsung Moderator

The Korean GB70 has a micro-HDMI port and an antenna for DMB TV