android
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
The Korean GB70 has a micro-HDMI port and an antenna for DMB TV
Awesome, thanks.

Next question is what is the best video player to get? I don't like the stock one because it doesn't show the videos in a file directly structure. Any recommendations?

Thanks all!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 PM

hi all.

does anyone know if these two models are using Corning Gorilla Glass? I've not seen it mentioned in any feature lists but did see the press release from Corning announcing their partnership with Samsung saying: "all Galaxy S tablets come equipped with Gorilla Glass".

since these models appear to be classified as "players" and not "tablets" and the fact no spec sheet mentions it then I'm inclined to believe these models do not use the stronger glass. which sucks because I'm replacing a device which just had its beautiful touchscreen shattered to bits. (((((((((((((((

thanks.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffason View Post
hi all.

does anyone know if these two models are using Corning Gorilla Glass? I've not seen it mentioned in any feature lists but did see the press release from Corning announcing their partnership with Samsung saying: "all Galaxy S tablets come equipped with Gorilla Glass".

since these models appear to be classified as "players" and not "tablets" and the fact no spec sheet mentions it then I'm inclined to believe these models do not use the stronger glass. which sucks because I'm replacing a device which just had its beautiful touchscreen shattered to bits. (((((((((((((((

thanks.
Great Question. No Idea. I looked through the quick start guide and saw nothing.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Default Removable Battery

According to the specs of my Korean 5.0 model the battery is supposed to be removable. I thought it would be like my phone and have a door for the battery compartment, but it doesn't. How do you open up the case to change the battery?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
How do you open up the case to change the battery?
From the back, look at the bottom of the player; there is hole in the middle. Put your finger nail there and lift up the whole plastic back cover. In the YP-GB1 English manual, it's on page 11.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Mine is the YP-GB70, and the back seems to be different.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
Mine is the YP-GB70, and the back seems to be different.
Didn't realized YP-GB70 is different where some stuff are located. The manual for YP-GB1 has battery in the "Unpack" section and the instruction to insert the battery. YP-GB70 manual has no battery listed in "Unpack" and no instruction on inserting the battery. It looks like the battery is not removable and Export Prive made a typo (if you purchased it from them, you can ask them).

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigl View Post
Didn't realized YP-GB70 is different where some stuff are located. The manual for YP-GB1 has battery in the "Unpack" section and the instruction to insert the battery. YP-GB70 manual has no battery listed in "Unpack" and no instruction on inserting the battery. It looks like the battery is not removable and Export Prive made a typo (if you purchased it from them, you can ask them).
I've written to them and asked for instructions. They claim you can take the back off, but so far they have sent no instructions as how to do it. As far as I can tell, it's not a simple task and will require tools and know how.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Apparently on the 5, there are two screws on the bottom (one on either side of the mini usb port) that hold the back on. I would imagine if you unscrewed those, it would just lift off. Either way, please post what you find out.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Also while I'm here, I have some questions about the 5.0:

I know it's subjective, but how good is the screen quality on the 5.0? Everyone says it is inferior to the 4.0, but is it really so bad, or is it still a good screen?

When you transfer files onto the devices internal memory via the usb cable, at what speed do they transfer?

Does the computer just see one external hard drive, or does it see the internal storage as one drive, and the sd card as a second?

Can you play movie files that have AC3 audio? I haven’t seen that listed in any of the tech specs even though it’s a very well used format.

Can you alter the display format of the movie being played (fullscreen, widescreen, native size, etc.)

Does the movie player have any kind of bookmarking feature so if you stopped watching a movie half way through, it knows where to continue next time?

Can you delete files from within the movie player software, or do you have to do it from some other software/file browser/from the computer?

How visible is the screen in brightly lit conditions?

Is it true that the player just shows one big alphabetical list of all the media files on the device, and just ignores the folder structure? What about if you view videos through the "Gallery" app?

Does the "share" app work well for streaming content from a DNLA media server?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM

There are two plastic plugs covering the screws. I'm wondering how to get the plastic plugs out without scarring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLeeds2k5 View Post
Apparently on the 5, there are two screws on the bottom (one on either side of the mini usb port) that hold the back on. I would imagine if you unscrewed those, it would just lift off. Either way, please post what you find out.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM

MarkLeeds2k5 asked: Also while I'm here, I have some questions about the 5.0

I know it's subjective, but how good is the screen quality on the 5.0? Everyone says it is inferior to the 4.0, but is it really so bad, or is it still a good screen?z

I haven't seen the 4.0 screen, but the 5.0's screen is just fine. Nothing inferior about it. My best guess is they put the better screen on the 4.0 because it us smaller and they wanted to bring it up to the level of clarity of the larger 5.0 screen.

When you transfer files onto the devices internal memory via the usb cable, at what speed do they transfer?

Does the computer just see one external hard drive, or does it see the internal storage as one drive, and the sd card as a second?

Linux sees them as two different drives.

Can you play movie files that have AC3 audio? I haven’t seen that listed in any of the tech specs even though it’s a very well used format.

Don't know on this one. There are different Video players in the Android Market that may have more codecs.

Can you alter the display format of the movie being played (fullscreen, widescreen, native size, etc.)

Yes
, both the video players I have can adjust screen aspect ratio.

Does the movie player have any kind of bookmarking feature so if you stopped watching a movie half way through, it knows where to continue next time?

Not sure on this either, I thought it did remember, but it could be only during a single boot session. Again there are different video players from the Market that may have more features.

Can you delete files from within the movie player software, or do you have to do it from some other software/file browser/from the computer?

As far as I know you have to use a file manager to delete files from the device. That said you can use the various file managers on the player to delete files. You are not restricted to using an external computer to manage the file system.

How visible is the screen in brightly lit conditions?

The screen is bright indoors. As for out of doors, it may be like other devices that are difficult to see If you are going outside you better set the screen to bright before you leave.

Is it true that the player just shows one big alphabetical list of all the media files on the device, and just ignores the folder structure? What about if you view videos through the "Gallery" app?

The video players I have seem to just display a list. You can use the file managers to see folders, and when you click on a video file it will ask what video player you want to use. To be honest, I think navigation on the Android sort of sucks. It seems to be similar to the Ubuntu's retched Unity desktop. Android needs forwards and backwards buttons or a more standard Linux desktop. I feel my Cowen S9 has much better navigation.

Does the "share" app work well for streaming content from a DNLA media server?

Have no idea on this one.

I should add that if you want a portable player get the 4.0, particularly since it appears the battery of the 5.0 is not replaceable in the field. I got the 5.0 from Korea because of the HDMI out which I have yet to use. The 5.0 is more of a mini tablet. It's too large to take to the gym and work out. On the other hand as an Internet Wifi Radio at home and Kindle book reader, the 5.0 is great. If I had it to do over again I think I would opt for the 4.0 because of the more compact size. It would do all the same things except HDMI, cost less, and have the potential of changing out the battery in the field. One negative of the system on either one is that it takes a fair amount of time to scan the internal and SD card memory on boot up. It doesn't seem to know nothing has changed on the memories and does a complete rescan every boot-up. It can't find just a few files that may have been added. It seems to do a complete rescan every time.

Last edited by Joe_Linux; 08-12-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:55 AM

Thanks a lot for answering those questions.

Sounds like the player has positives and negatives. The non replaceable battery on the 5.0 is a bummer, but then when I think about it, I never once actually changed the battery on my Archos 604 even though I could.

Could you quantify what you mean by a "fair amount of time" to scan the memory at boot up? Are we talking a few extra seconds, or a few extra minutes?!?

Old 08-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLeeds2k5 View Post
Thanks a lot for answering those questions.

Sounds like the player has positives and negatives. The non replaceable battery on the 5.0 is a bummer, but then when I think about it, I never once actually changed the battery on my Archos 604 even though I could.

Could you quantify what you mean by a "fair amount of time" to scan the memory at boot up? Are we talking a few extra seconds, or a few extra minutes?!?
Annoying seconds. It's not intolerably slow like Star Office used to be. Just seems like the programing should be such as to recognize a static card and internal memory rather than always a total scan. Frankly I think the worst thing about it is the funky way Android manages the programs. They sometimes come back even when you have killed them.
Also the icon management seems kind of sucky. This is my first "Droid" and I've never had an iPhony. I think a standard Linux desktop would perhaps be better than Android. Of course not "Unity" as that sucks even more than Android. As for M$ Windows, forget it. It's very user unfriendly.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Default HDMI Out Size?

Is the HDMI out port on the 5.0 "Mini HDMI"? Whatever it is, it's smaller than the larger standard size HDMI. I need to know to buy and adapter. It would have been nice if Samsung had included a short adapter cable in the box.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Default Antenna

Hey folks,
I have the 4" model from exportprive. I just realized that it has an "external" antenna. By that I mean an antenna like the old portable radios that stores in the unit and you pull it our and there is a "universal" joint on the bottom around which it rotates.
Al

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM

I though the external antenna is just on the korean model. Won't be there on the north american model...

Old 08-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Samsung Moderator

Indeed, the antenna is for the DMB TV. Won't work in the USA

Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Hello everyone,

After some desperate google/baidu searches I finally came across this site.
Hopefully somebody has a clue regarding my problem

This summer I bought a Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 from a store called Fortress, located in Hong Kong.
All was fine when I tried it: WiFi, music, video everything.
My brother also bought a Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 from Fortress, but his store was located in Kowloon while mine was in Sheung Shui.

Now that i'm home (The Netherlands) I found out that my microphone is malfunctioning:
1) When I try to use Google Voice Search, a popup will show: Audio Problem.
2) I can't even Call or Video Call my brother via Skype, as the call is automatically terminated when we are connected.
3) When using Qik Video, we can see each other just fine. The thing is that I can hear my brother's voice, while he can't hear mine's.

All these problems were fixed after a factory reset.
But within a day they all came back. =/

Have any of you experienced these problems too?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Hello everyone,

After some desperate google/baidu searches I finally came across this site.
Hopefully somebody has a clue regarding my problem

This summer I bought a Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 from a store called Fortress, located in Hong Kong.
All was fine when I tried it: WiFi, music, video everything.
My brother also bought a Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 from Fortress, but his store was located in Kowloon while mine was in Sheung Shui.

Now that i'm home (The Netherlands) I found out that my microphone is malfunctioning:
1) When I try to use Google Voice Search, a popup will show: Audio Problem.
2) I can't even Call or Video Call my brother via Skype, as the call is automatically terminated when we are connected.
3) When using Qik Video, we can see each other just fine. The thing is that I can hear my brother's voice, while he can't hear mine's.

All these problems were fixed after a factory reset.
But within a day they all came back. =/

Have any of you experienced these problems too?
Try to update your firmware with odin go to this site for firmwares:

http://www.samfirmware.com/