Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Try to update your firmware with odin go to this site for firmwares:

http://www.samfirmware.com/
Thank you!
I will look around there!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 AM

Default Anybody get Google Voice or other SMS apps to work in US?

Hey all, got my 4.0 and I'm loving it. ExportPrive.com was great, I'd definitely recommend them.

Has anyone had luck in the US installing Google Voice or other SMS applications like GO SMS? They don't show up on the marketplace on the device, and when I try from my PC it says my device is invalid.

I just got a Skype subscription, but they charge you to get an internet number on top of your subscription and I already have one for Google Voice, so I'm curious why they'd block this device.

Also, if you upgrade Google Maps you can go to Labs and pre-cache map tiles to use offline: http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...fline-mapping/

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Is there an Android app that will make it act like the GPS in a car? So far all I can get the GPS to do is give a latitude and longitude.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Regarding Micro SD cards for the Samsung Wifi Series. Is Class 10 worth the extra money or is Class 4 good enough? I'm looking at 32 gig cards. Does anybody know the best bang for the buck?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
Is there an Android app that will make it act like the GPS in a car? So far all I can get the GPS to do is give a latitude and longitude.
Did you try the Navigation app? It's basically GoogleMaps with their Navigation feature mode, which I think is still in beta. I haven't tested it much yet, but I assume you have to pre-cache the maps from GoogleMaps before you get in your car (and disconnect from wifi). I'm going to try it in offline/sat-GPS mode when I take a walk at lunch one day this week and I'll post back if it works or not.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM

My initial tests (outside street walking in downtown Denver) with Google Maps/Navigation were good.

Steps while connected to wifi:
1) Update Google Maps to latest version
2) In Google Maps go to Menu->More->Labs and select Pre-cache map area
3) Select area(s) to pre-cache
4) Select Menu->Directions
5) Put in Starting Point & Destination and click Get Directions
6) Select Navigate button (blue arrow) to get step-by-step directions

Now you can go outside and off wifi and the GPS will follow you and update your progress on the route. I did one simple test where I went off-route and it re-calculated a new route fairly quickly.

I think there is even a voice-mode for directions but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suberec View Post
Hey all, got my 4.0 and I'm loving it. ExportPrive.com was great, I'd definitely recommend them.

Has anyone had luck in the US installing Google Voice or other SMS applications like GO SMS? They don't show up on the marketplace on the device, and when I try from my PC it says my device is invalid.

I just got a Skype subscription, but they charge you to get an internet number on top of your subscription and I already have one for Google Voice, so I'm curious why they'd block this device.

Also, if you upgrade Google Maps you can go to Labs and pre-cache map tiles to use offline: http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...fline-mapping/
In general it seems that many apps won't work on wifi-only devices because they "expect" phone features. This even seems to include the Facebook app, which is surprising. We should start a list of incompatible apps and potential alternatives.

For US owners: I found an alternative for Google Voice called Groove IP. It uses your Google Voice account to place/receive calls. It seems to work ok so far, but more testing is required. It costs $4.99.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
Regarding Micro SD cards for the Samsung Wifi Series. Is Class 10 worth the extra money or is Class 4 good enough? I'm looking at 32 gig cards. Does anybody know the best bang for the buck?
For consuming media on the device, a class 4 is fine. Music, video, etc. won't stutter at that speed.

I wanted a 32gb card myself, and went with a Lexar 32gb class 10 micro sdhc for 45. It's a legit card (29gb after formatting, 11.2mbps write, 19.8mbps read) and I'm very pleased with it. I didn't actually buy it because it was a class 10, but given there are class 2 and 4 cards at similar prices, I thought why not. Plus, since class 10 cards are best suited for sequential data access, and I only use it to store large media files, it's a perfect fit for me.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Just because an SD or uSD card has a certain rating doesn't mean it actually is that fast/slow. I bought a Lexar 2GB uSD card a year or two ago at Wal-Mart in the photo section. It has no speed/Class markings on it, which normally means that it's Class 2. I didn't need fast read/write speeds, just a cheap (ended up being $12 US) card to use if I didn't have anything else. Well, after using it for a while I noticed that the read and write speeds where way higher than any of the other memory cards and USB sticks I had. Turns out (after a bit of testing) that it has 17.1MB/s - 7.6MB/s read/write speeds! I don't know if it was a bunch of Class 10s that somehow got mixed up and I can't guarantee what you'd get if you bought another similar card, but just remember you don't always get what's advertised!

I've attached the serial number and other information that's on the back of the card below, just for curiosities sake.

MMAGR02GUDCA-DB
I F0010000 011
Made in TAIWAN
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 rooted + 32 GB Samsung uSD - Samsung T10 Bright Lime Green 4GB - Sansa Clip+ Black 4GB minus screen - SanDisk DAP 512 MB (modified to take two AAs instead of one AAA) - KITSOUND KSDJ headphones - SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs

Old 08-24-2011, 03:03 AM

That's a good point, and worth remembering. No matter what the card says, or how reputable the retailer, format then test with H2TestW 1.4 before use.

Buying micro sdhc cards feels a bit like playing the lottery.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Hey,

I've been looking at the Galaxy WiFi 4.0 for a while and information is pretty thin on the ground, so thanks to all the users posting what they know.

This thing cant be found in shops where I live (Ireland, emailed Samsung about it even they told me to look online). So I'm torn between ordering from Pixmania (The European version only available up to 16GB) and Exportprive (Korean Version as best as I can make out available up to 32GB). Both are around the same price and I'd like the larger storage but a version switch video I saw seemed to only have Korea and English(US) options.

So what Id like to know is if any of the people who got their's from Exportprive have had any trouble localising to Europe or if there are any other issues using the Korean model.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuuuuey_Roberto View Post
Hey,

I've been looking at the Galaxy WiFi 4.0 for a while and information is pretty thin on the ground, so thanks to all the users posting what they know.

This thing cant be found in shops where I live (Ireland, emailed Samsung about it even they told me to look online). So I'm torn between ordering from Pixmania (The European version only available up to 16GB) and Exportprive (Korean Version as best as I can make out available up to 32GB). Both are around the same price and I'd like the larger storage but a version switch video I saw seemed to only have Korea and English(US) options.

So what Id like to know is if any of the people who got their's from Exportprive have had any trouble localising to Europe or if there are any other issues using the Korean model.

Thanks
I got the chinese version in which dosen't include the french and i downloaded a firmware from samfirmware and i did have all the language i want. its work for both exportprive and pixmania

Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suberec View Post
My initial tests (outside street walking in downtown Denver) with Google Maps/Navigation were good.

Steps while connected to wifi:
1) Update Google Maps to latest version
2) In Google Maps go to Menu->More->Labs and select Pre-cache map area
3) Select area(s) to pre-cache
4) Select Menu->Directions
5) Put in Starting Point & Destination and click Get Directions
6) Select Navigate button (blue arrow) to get step-by-step directions

Now you can go outside and off wifi and the GPS will follow you and update your progress on the route. I did one simple test where I went off-route and it re-calculated a new route fairly quickly.

I think there is even a voice-mode for directions but I haven't tried it yet.
I finally stumbled on the method to preload maps. You are limited to 10 areas. One area I chose was the "United States" I really don't know if the entire US is cached or not.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuuuuey_Roberto View Post
Hey,

Thanks
I'm in the US, but I think the Korean 5.0 is great because of the HDMI out. I looked at various tablets at Best Buy today and didn't see anything that was as nice as the 5.0. I'm hoping that some day there may be an app that can convert the Korean TV to the US standard.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM

I find that my 4.0 does wind down on battery power rather quickly... has anyone found a battery to fit it yet?

thanks

Last edited by bluezzy; 08-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM

I don't know if there are devs but it would be interesting if we see some developpement (rom, kernels, recoverys) on 4.0 and 5.0 i would like to see TW 4 and overclocking on this

Old 08-28-2011, 01:27 AM

Default Battery G70 vs GB70

From what I have seen the G70 (5.0 player) has almost twice the battery size of the GB70 (Korean version). I was wondering if any one with these units has noticed significant differences in the battery life as both state 8 hours of video and 60 hours of music.

I was also wondering about the 5 MP camera vs the 3 MP. Is the quality similar, or are there reviews of other samsung products we have the same cameras. I have found a few decent reviews on other Galaxy S phones with the 5 MP camera.

It sounds like the Korean version has the better bells and whistles, but I just don't want a battery like my dell streak which has a hard time making it through the day with light use.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM

I have the GB70. The battery is okay, but not great. The battery pretty much has to be charged everyday, and you have to be careful how you use it. You have to dim the screen as much as is practical. In low ambient light, 25% screen light is plenty. As an mp3 player, if you turn off Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, and shut off the screen, it has very good life. That said, the 5.0 is really a mini tablet more than a pocket player. However, I have to say it is an absolutely amazing device, and I'm very happy with my purchase. I think the HDMI out is a great thing to have. It's too bad the American version doesn't include that. It would also be great for the American version to have broadcast TV reception. All of the 5.0's should have an easily replaceable battery. I wonder if the G70 battery would fit inside the GB70?

Last edited by Joe_Linux; 08-28-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Default g70

Any one have comments on the g70 for battery life and camera.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2so4_hk View Post
Any one have comments on the g70 for battery life and camera.
Look up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux
I have the GB70. The battery is okay, but not great. The battery pretty much has to be charged everyday, and you have to be careful how you use it. You have to dim the screen as much as is practical. In low ambient light, 25% screen light is plenty. As an mp3 player, if you turn off Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, and shut off the screen, it has very good life.
The camera will probably lower the battery life by 25% or so if left on continually, but I'm just guessing there and I'd doubt you want to leave it on all the time anyways...
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 rooted + 32 GB Samsung uSD - Samsung T10 Bright Lime Green 4GB - Sansa Clip+ Black 4GB minus screen - SanDisk DAP 512 MB (modified to take two AAs instead of one AAA) - KITSOUND KSDJ headphones - SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs