android
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Samsung Moderator

Default Samsung YP-R2

I told you about it here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=63515 , the YP-R2, successor of the R1 just showed up on the Samsung Russian website: http://www.samsung.com/ru/consumer/m...ail&returnurl=

Specs
  • 3" 400*240 touchscreen
  • Capacity: 4, 8 or 16GB (may differ from country to country)
  • Colors: Black or Silver
  • Dimensions: 50.9 x 90.9 x 8.6 mm
  • Weight: 52 g
  • Audio battery life: 40hrs max (@MP3, 128kbps, Volume 15, LCD off, SoundAlive off)
  • Video battery life: 4hrs max
  • Voice recording
  • FM Tuner (probably RDS)
  • UMS/MTP
  • SoundAlive enhancements
  • Music Square technology: "algorithm to sort and organize music tracks. Music Square automatically analyzes your preferences and generates playlists, including music tracks, apply to a specific genre."
  • Audio formats: MP3HD, MP3, WMA, Ogg, WAV, AAC, FLAC
  • Video formats: WMV, H.264, DivX, XviD, MPEG4, AVI, MP4, MOV, ASF
  • miscancellous: JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF, TXT

Thus the R2 is the world first mp3 player to support MP3 HD (as the Samsung IceTouch has never been released)

Unfortunately there is no microSD slot. As regards gapless I have to ask Samsung. Cross my fingers.

Don't ask me for the US release date. I DON'T KNOW, as usual.

Last edited by lebellium; 07-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 AM

All that fancy tech and no microSD card slot?

Booooooo.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM

What about TV-out, hd video? Physical button (on the website i can see one for on/off and another one...maybe only for the volume as the R1)?
The only good thing I see (if comparing with R1) is a micro usb connector (at least is it seems...).

From what I can see is just a bigger R1, I hoped in something better.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No micro SD card slot - I'd pass on that alone.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||dav1de|| View Post
What about TV-out, hd video? Physical button (on the website i can see one for on/off and another one...maybe only for the volume as the R1)?
The only good thing I see (if comparing with R1) is a micro usb connector (at least is it seems...).

From what I can see is just a bigger R1, I hoped in something better.
Yeah it's quite disappointing.
And the screen resolution sucks. The 2007 P2 already had a 480*272 3" touchscreen....

I don't know about TV-out and HD support but it seems there are only 2 buttons (power/hold and volume).

The biggest difference with the R1 is a good one: battery life

MP3HD support is also a good thing. Have a look at it, it's a promising format with the retro-compatibility. It's just a pity no more manufacturers add it to their devices...

Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM

Battery life is bigger because is bigger the player (and so there is space for a bigger battery)...mp3hd, I don't know, if file are much smaller than flac could be useful, otherwise 16GB are not enough (I've got 25GB of Flac, and I don't have much music...). Bigger screen but same resolution it's quite stupid! On the website there's nothing about games or flash player. We will see when there will be more infos, but at the moment I don't think it's interesting for who already have an R1 or something similar.

I think there won't be any HD support...Lossless music + HD video >> 16GB!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Frontpaged. Samsung YP-R2 Available in Vladivostok

Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

Actually it's not really released yet. At the moment this product page looks more like teasing. I assume it will be released in Russia end of August or something like that but I don't expect if before.

But thanks for the frontpage

Old 07-12-2011, 02:53 PM

I just saw so many jokes and nonsense in that release/teaser, I just had to post it. Seriously, MP3HD, I read about it two years ago already... nobody needs that.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Samsung Moderator

Maybe this "new" format came too late on the market but for me the retro-compatibility is a real advantage compared to FLAC.
Yet, people won't reencode their whole FLAC library into MP3HD and I'm sure I won't hear a difference between MP3 VBR V0 and MP3 HD on this device so the reality is not as beautiful as the theory.

Quote:
(memory from 8 to 16GB)
From 4GB

Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM

The one big culprit is that you don't really 'win' anything by using MP3HD. Yeah, it contains regular MP3 that any player understands - but the files are ten times bigger, with no audible benefit on players that don't understand it. You lose a lot of storage space on your player.

Wavpack is an established lossy/lossless hybrid codec, and it actually splits the lossy and lossless part in two files - a lossy WV and a lossless WVC. So you can just put the small lossy WV file on your player (*if* it reads it) and save some space, and keep the big 'correction' WVC file at home. With MP3HD you don't have that choice - you're always carrying a huge monolithic file around that almost no device reads anyways, at least the lossless part.

Not to mention this whole thing is based on the FhG/Thomson codec, which is noticeably inferior to LAME MP3. - But yeah, sure is nice to see something different in the portable player market once in a while.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Retrocompatibility of MP3HD can be useful, e.g. when connecting the player to other devices, like car radio, bd player and stuff like that. In all the other cases is probably better to use FLAC if you can, or lossy codec if you have little space.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:21 PM

Yeah, that's the whole chicken-and-egg situation - why would you put MP3HD on your player when you know your car deck can't play it? I wouldn't do that, since I knew beforehand it would make no sense and would just waste storage space.

Not to mention almost nobody can actually distinguish a proper lossy encode from lossless, but that's another story...

Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM

If you simply use the player sometimes by itself, and sometimes connected to something (that don't read any lossless codec), you can save money (you don't need to buy any usb stick) or space (just 1 file, instead of 1 lossless + 1 lossy).

Anyway I don't think there will be much people buying R2 for this reason.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 AM

I am also sooooooooo bored of these ipod designs. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something else.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Samsung Moderator

Unfortunately it doesn't support gapless playback.
Some people at Samsung Korea just begin to understand the usefulness of gapless but my contacts at Samsung France need to be still more convincing in the future.

That may still change but at the moment a French release is not scheduled.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Ok i totally don't get it what's this again a major mistake by Samsung
they must think let's put as many players on the market as possible, people have to buy one of them eventually.
They are just dumb, don't get me wrong boys and girls, but how dumb is that.
look at the best selling player, the ipod touch. do they bring out 15 ipods no (im talking in the big screen segment okay, I'm aware of other models)
and every year an updated version, but not 5 different players in a single year.
why don't they stick to the galaxy player 4 or 5 only? I don't know but this makes no sense. and no SD slot? what? in this day and age, really Samsung
instead of investing in a simple player as this one, make the galaxy player cheaper sell more and see it as an investment. sell more make more profit.
the player looks nice, don't get me wrong but if I only want an only music player with no sd slot, I buy a cheap one
why would I buy a P2 in a new jacket
sorry if this post is really negative, but why? I get the fact they don't make the same profits as apple because they do not own a market like the android market, so they have to get their money from selling devices but really,... this?
nah I'll pass

Old 07-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaasje View Post
Ok i totally don't get it what's this again a major mistake by Samsung
they must think let's put as many players on the market as possible, people have to buy one of them eventually.
They are just dumb, don't get me wrong boys and girls, but how dumb is that.
look at the best selling player, the ipod touch. do they bring out 15 ipods no (im talking in the big screen segment okay, I'm aware of other models)
and every year an updated version, but not 5 different players in a single year.
I don't know about the situation where you live, but in the US, you can pretty much only buy two samsung players without importing them from elsewhere. I'd say thats pretty concentrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaasje View Post
I get the fact they don't make the same profits as apple because they do not own a market like the android market, so they have to get their money from selling devices but really,... this?
nah I'll pass
Apple doesn't make any money from their OSs other than charging for an upgrade, but that's basically negligible. As for the apps, I doubt that is the main income for apple. besides Sammy has many other markets to choose from for their income. I would say that the mp3 player market is one they probably don't really stress about. It's not like they really need to turn a huge profit from these devices, so they put little resources into them. Now I'm not saying that they don't want to make good players, I'm simply saying that I think that they probably don't invest a lot of their resources in what may be seen as a dying market already being dominated by a massive force i.e. Apple.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Hi I'm not going: you say this I say that, just explaining my view, so no hard feelings. I'm a big fan of Samsung products, just so you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
I don't know about the situation where you live, but in the US, you can pretty much only buy two samsung players without importing them from elsewhere. I'd say thats pretty concentrated.
That's my point exactly, you don't want to import your PMP, you have to pay extra to get it cleared through customs etc.
It's about their entire range of products, if they would just concentrate on a small amount of products, instead of different players in different countries. one for all, so they could concentrate on the single device instead of getting: this device has problems with the SD card, the other device has no problems with SD but with the processor etc.
And another problem which you mentioned is that they don't have a global line-up, why would anyone want to import a player, especially if you pay good money for it (32 Gb models etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
Apple doesn't make any money from their OSs other than charging for an upgrade, but that's basically negligible. As for the apps, I doubt that is the main income for apple. besides Sammy has many other markets to choose from for their income. I would say that the mp3 player market is one they probably don't really stress about. It's not like they really need to turn a huge profit from these devices, so they put little resources into them. Now I'm not saying that they don't want to make good players, I'm simply saying that I think that they probably don't invest a lot of their resources in what may be seen as a dying market already being dominated by a massive force i.e. Apple.
Apple makes money from their store, I wasn't talking about the upgrades. Where I come from, 2.5 billion is a lot of dough. Sure they have to invest, but only to get a return on investment, right?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/07/a...aid-to-develo/

and if you don't expect a profit from a device why invest, that would be a nice company ROFL .
Only a government could do it like that

Designer: Well Bob, the JSF isn't quite what we expected and is way more expensive than we calculated, so we need more money, 90 million to be exact.
Bob: Oh how many are sold already?
Designer: no one cares, that's not the point, we need more money, otherwise all my work is done for nothing, and goes down the drain.
Bob: will this project ever be profitable?
Designer: No, but haven't you listened, if we can't continue this project all my work is useless.
Bob: Ok I'll ring up some leaders from other countries, and they'll hand me the money, which eventually the citizens have to pay through taxes, how does that sound?
Designer: Amazing, why haven't we thought of that sooner

(it's the same with their phones, you want to sell more phones than Apple, LG and Blackberry so invest and people will get your phones, who pays for them? exactly)

In business there is a key rule only invest in something, when you get a profit. Like said in the dragon's den (a program from the BBC)
They also get profit from their TV segment but this is only while people buy TV's (TV''s will last about 7 years on average)
Look at Philips, they build TV's but they sold that segment of the company, why because it wasn't profitable. Where is their profit coming from? the medical segment, lamps etc.

sure people invest in unknown products, and live on the edge but not with big companies like Samsung. (A good thing though is that they chose to use Android, so people have freedom and choice in applications.)
Look at the KNO tablet, it was a nice idea, but was it really worth it to invest those millions and millions of dollars only to end up with software for the Apple iPad (more platforms will follow). Why did people invest because they were told they would get their money back, that's why it's seen as an investment.
if they were told, well we use your millions of dollars to design and build a product only release a couple of thousand of them and then build software for another OS, so we can fully drop the hardware segment of the company. This way we end up with an eReader app connected to our store. No one would invest, and KNO would not get those rights and deals with the publicists, which is the only interesting thing about the company.

And apple is great in many things, software, prices, products, accessories, marketing etc. but there are also points for improvement. Like the SD card function (because they are afraid of exploits and only selling the cheapest model), better camera's and so on and so on.

Like the iPad, it's great, works great, looks great but still people want more and better. Galaxy tab 10.1 and Asus Transformer are released and ups the game (IMHO) although the tablet isn't the slimmest it has a SD card function, great screen, long battery life etc. (keep in mind it's still the first version, it will get better in time when newer versions come out. like the iPad 2) Do you see 6 different transformer models, noooo (I'm not talking about the Gb and wifi only stuff, I'm talking about with an SD slot, without one, with a HDMI output, without one etc.)

I agree Samsung makes perfect music players, been using my P2 for many years and still happy with it. But if you do something, you better make sure you do it right. And there is a place for other players on the market, Apple isn't the only one. (people hate the restrictions of iTunes). If your product is better, and reasonably priced, you will sell more. simple as that.
So build a good competitor make alliances with other companies to integrate your products in their campaigns and products. (Apple did it with Nike for instance.)
Keep your product updated and available, be clear about your product and updates.

And the player looks nice, I'm not saying it's ugly but I'm sure it will cost more than 50 bucks, which (again IMHO) isn't worth it. Outdated specs, no SD, mp3HD (why use this, how many stores sell mp3HD) if you're really a bat with the ability of sonar to truly experience the music experience you probably don't care how much a device costs as long as it sounds great. you wouldn't choose this 'budget' model.

but that's just what I think.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Samsung Moderator

The English user manual is now available: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_110627.pdf

Nothing new and really interesting.

Just some points:

-More info about how the new feature 'Music Square' works:

-Full specifications

-Increased battery life (40hrs max announced)

-And finally a 24hrs clock!! Sounds incredible but until now there was only a 12hrs clock on Samsung DAPs

Tags
r2, samsung, yepp, yp-r2