android
Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Here's my e-book reader. A Sony PRS-650 running version 1.0.00.14080 of the firmware and PRS+ 2.0.12beta.

For a community focused on e-book readers and e-books go here: http://www.mobileread.com
A site I refer to for news on e-book and e-book readers: http://www.teleread.com/
The only software I use to handle my e-book library is Calibre: http://www.calibre-ebook.com

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
Here's my e-book reader. A Sony PRS-650 running version 1.0.00.14080 of the firmware and PRS+ 2.0.12beta.

For a community focused on e-book readers and e-books go here: http://www.mobileread.com
A site I refer to for news on e-book and e-book readers: http://www.teleread.com/
The only software I use to handle my e-book library is Calibre: http://www.calibre-ebook.com
Looks nice! I was seriously considering the PRS-350 before I bought my Nook Touch. And +1 on Calibre.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Looks nice! I was seriously considering the PRS-350 before I bought my Nook Touch. And +1 on Calibre.
How are you liking the Nook Touch? I'm thinking of getting that once it's rooted. Being able to have a choice on what software I use to read my e-books (and the advantages they have) would be great. Either that or try my hand at hacking the Sony firmware to include FBReader and a 3rd party PDF viewer.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
How are you liking the Nook Touch? I'm thinking of getting that once it's rooted. Being able to have a choice on what software I use to read my e-books (and the advantages they have) would be great. Either that or try my hand at hacking the Sony firmware to include FBReader and a 3rd party PDF viewer.
It's exactly what I wanted. The e-ink screen is great, I just barely have to touch the edge to change pages, it rarely needs charging (I never use the wifi).

One thing which doesn't bother me in particular but does bother some people is that supposedly 1GB of the internal memory is set aside strictly for purchases from Barnes & Noble. But it has a microsd clot that will take up to a 32GB card, after all.....and the filesizes of most books are quite small. And frankly, I haven't felt the need to load the thing up with every ebook I have......the series I am reading now consists of 5 books, so that's what is on the Nook.

I have no interest in making it an Android tablet, like the Nook Color, I just read with it.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 AM

Take a simple $2 business card holder from officemax. (also available in-store, and in silver)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Throw in a Nook STR and you get an extremely cheap stand for hands-free reading. It works wonderfully, by the way. No need to fork over $20 for a chunk of plastic from B&N or bestbuy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 08-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It's exactly what I wanted. The e-ink screen is great, I just barely have to touch the edge to change pages, it rarely needs charging (I never use the wifi).

One thing which doesn't bother me in particular but does bother some people is that supposedly 1GB of the internal memory is set aside strictly for purchases from Barnes & Noble. But it has a microsd clot that will take up to a 32GB card, after all.....and the filesizes of most books are quite small. And frankly, I haven't felt the need to load the thing up with every ebook I have......the series I am reading now consists of 5 books, so that's what is on the Nook.

I have no interest in making it an Android tablet, like the Nook Color, I just read with it.
I would definitely keep the Nook STR as a reader but with a few extra reading apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
Take a simple $2 business card holder from officemax. (also available in-store, and in silver)

Throw in a Nook STR and you get an extremely cheap stand for hands-free reading. It works wonderfully, by the way. No need to fork over $20 for a chunk of plastic from B&N or bestbuy.
I'll definitely look into that. In the meantime, I'll build a stand for my Sony PRS-650 out of either some spare mdf board I have lying around, LEGO or K'NEX.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I'll definitely look into that. In the meantime, I'll build a stand for my Sony PRS-650 out of either some spare mdf board I have lying around, LEGO or K'NEX.
Good luck building your stand.
That being said, when you've got stuff like the dealextreme $6.70 tablet stand - very favorable review at NBT - there's truly little reason to invest the time building. Unless of course you enjoy the hobby.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
Good luck building your stand.
That being said, when you've got stuff like the dealextreme $6.70 tablet stand - very favorable review at NBT - there's truly little reason to invest the time building. Unless of course you enjoy the hobby.
I definitely enjoy building as a hobby especially when building functional MOCs (My Of Creations). I've taken a look at the stand and hope to get one soon but for now I'll use it as inspiration.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 AM

A fellow AFOL? Here?

No way.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
A fellow AFOL? Here?

No way.
No joke. Not kidding. I'll hopefully be posting pictures of the stand by either this weekend or early next week.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM

So you guys are adult lego enthusiasts? Is that what you are saying by AFOL? Just saw some crazy lego stuff on google. Pretty cool I say.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudohippy View Post
So you guys are adult lego enthusiasts? Is that what you are saying by AFOL? Just saw some crazy lego stuff on google. Pretty cool I say.
Be sure to check out mocpages.com or The Brothers Brick for even more amazing builds. Be sure to look out on youtube as well.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:32 AM
General Audio Moderator

My original first production nook was showing it's age in terms of use and i liked the new higher contrast eink display on the new nook / sony / kindle. It was hard for me to choose between the new sony wifi reader or the nook touch. Both use the same infrared digitizer which imo is way better than shitty capacitive solutions that require glass on top of the display device with semiconductor etching on it. I guess the new nook touch has the same ti omap as the nook color but runs a lighter build on android , it sure shows in responsiveness.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 AM

Recently took a picture of some of my gear
Not awesome quality though

Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Phonaks and DBA-02 EAR SHATTER.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM

I could not figure whether you are being sarcastic or appreciative.
Love both of them depending on my mood I pick one.
Anyways this is ebook thread therefore:

The pre 350 is good its got a touchscreen so changing pages is more intuitive.
It's got a stylus for taking notes or the occasional doodle.

The kindle is good slightly faster than prs 350. With wifi and 3g its good for the occasional google reader sessions sending a mail or two. Anywhere anytime with no bother of data charges.

Reading is good in both no regrets.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Shoulda included a big smiley emoticon with it and welcome to ABI. Have you thought about a Nook Color? I was playing with one in the store the other day and I love it. It's little as hell to so that's a plus for me.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM

No nook color is not for me I have the galaxy s2 for all my other purposes.
It's got an awesome browser Android. A 4.3 screen and I can read small text. Works out.
Hehe thanks have been here for more than a year was stalking around for longer. That should say something about the number of people this site influences.

Last edited by akbarhash; 09-26-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Last edited by mamamia88; 09-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM

Talking

I know I said that I would be posting pictures of a stand built out of LEGO back in September but I got sidetracked. Good thing too because I built a good stand last night and used rubber bands for superb grip.

Here it is from the front:

and the side:

If you want to view the rest of the pictures, they're in this album:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hp?albumid=279

Tags
ebook, ereader, kindle, nook, sony