android
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 AM

Default Basic questions

Hi

I now own an X7, which considering I have the technical knowledge of an amoeba is probably not good news.

I've ripped some of my cds to mp3 but haven't transferred them over to the X7 yet. If I have, say 3 Muse cds, should I create a folder named Muse with the 3 album folders within it, or would it be better to drag over each album folder separately? Or doesn't it matter? (Sorry if this is a completely dunce question).

Are there any vital things a newcomer should know about the X7 before I mess up anything that I can't undo?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 AM

How you arrange your music is entirely up to you, I’ve read some interesting creative ways both here and on the net. Personally I have main folder as artist then subs as albums under each artist but I may eventually add another tier by genre …

On another note you should look at a free program like mp3tag to both check and tag your music correctly or arrange them how you would like them to display on your x7, a short tutorial can be found here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Welcome to ABI

Just think of tagging as simulating arranging your music according to folder structure. When music is tagged correctly, you will see your collection arranged according to artist, album, etc. When using the browser, however, unless you drag and drop your music within nested folders, (Artist, album, song) then your songs will be all over the place. With properly tagged music, it doesn't matter where the songs are copied. They will be tidy as long as your tagging is correct. I also echo WG's recommendation of MP3Tag, which is one of the best tagging apps ever developed.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I bought the Jet Audio version that can convert to mp3 (I know, stupid idea probably) and that has a tick box for tagging the music, and also access a database to recognise the cd's being converted. Do you think that's enough?

Another question if you don't mind - if there's stuff on the hard drive of the X7 that I want to get rid of, is it as simple as deleting it when the X7 is connected to the pc, or are there some pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner17 View Post
...I bought the Jet Audio version that can convert to mp3 and that has a tick box for tagging the music, and also access a database to recognise the cd's being converted. Do you think that's enough?
Yes, but there's plenty better programs out that are better and free ... but since you paid, you might as well use it till you desire more ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner17 View Post
... if there's stuff on the hard drive of the X7 that I want to get rid of, is it as simple as deleting it when the X7 is connected to the pc? ... Thanks
Yes and you can also delete things directly from the player. I would recommend reading the manual to see what other features you can benefit from ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 AM

Thank you - felt much better knowing I was doing the right thing lol! (btw re the manual - it reminded me of an incident years ago when I stood in front of a fruit machine gazing in bafflement at the instructions "Hold after Hold Hold even after HOld. Reading the manual reminds me of this occasion

Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 PM

I arrange all my mp3 songs in a single folder with a standard naming format. Browsing the 5000 songs on the X7 is VERY difficult, but on a PC it is simple. Playlists and the search function on the X7 make it easier to find songs. As someone said above, it is an individual choice.