android
Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Should I wait for Mango phones?

I'm nearing the end of my contract and plan to switch to telus and get a wp7 phone.

I still have an LG Rumour 2, with a malfunctioning spacebar, a tendency to shut down when I close the keyboard and people on the other side of the line can't understand a lot of what i say on the phone.

Is waiting for Mango Phones worth having to deal with my piece of shit for another month++?

I'd receive any opinion gladly at this point.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, the latest report is that the first batch of Mango phones are coming out as early as next month.

It depends on what you want. Most likely, the lesser phones are coming first, and the better phones from HTC, Samsung, Nokia, etc... are coming out later in the year. I think the first batch will be a small improvement from the current generation, and the second batch will be the ones with the dual-core, 12MP+, etc...

With all that being said, current Windows phones are already fast and with Mango, they get even faster.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Considering you're switching to telus I assume you live in Canada. So, what I'm planning to do is pick up a Samsung Focus from Rogers for $150 on a 1 year term (great price imo) so by the end of my term there will be plenty of new high end wp7 deviced for me to choose from.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Default Matter settled

Tried calling my boss, he couldn't understand a word I said and thought I was making fun of him...

Now the proud owner of an LG optimus 7

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.giguere View Post
Tried calling my boss, he couldn't understand a word I said and thought I was making fun of him...

Now the proud owner of an LG optimus 7
Quality phone! Congrats!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM

The Focus is a great phone - OEM firmware issues felaying updates aside. Best phone I have ever had (and WP7 kicks butt!). As for waiting, here's some of my thoughts:

- Mango will be pushed to every current phone.
- Mango brings even more speed improvements to OS than NoDo.
- It will take some time for apps to appear using Gyro and extra H/ware features.
- Prices are excellent now on GEN1 hardware.
- GEN 2 Handsets shd appear at lower Day 1 price points than GEN 1 did (Nokia shd help this even more).
- Mango could arrive as soon as AUG (weeks).
- Mango based on beta reports is fantastic.
- Dual-core is not a major issue for MS yet - the OS is already fast on old GEN1 specs.

You may have to make a call on featureset you are after (camera size, front facing, Nokia services - Fujitsu waterproof - Samsunf memory exp etc.) and how long you want to wait.

As others have said, 12m rates are good, then you call the handset and look at mid 2012 later GEN handsets as Apollo approaches

Good Luck.