android
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Amazing new Fujitsu Mango WP7 handset!

Japan to get the world’s first Mango Phone: Pics, Video and Specs. Fujitsu IS12T

Check out the video:

Specs, pics and links per the address above

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

64gb, like the Nokia WP7 handset, and it's unbeatable IMO. THIS is just one reason I'm going WP7,...and this phone is SWEET!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not quite sure what's so amazing about that. Sure, lots of marketing speech, but nothing that's really standing out in any way.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The simplicity and usability, plus the capacity and all around (IMO) beauty of the OS, +the hotness of the phone - sweetness!!! Again, IMO, YMMV.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

And here I thought we were moving away from phones with smaller screens and larger bezels

Attractive phone, not impressed with the specs though. Why is MS trying to stay this far behind? Please tell me the MSM8655 isn't the official Gen2 SOC...

To put this into perspective, Gen1 used the original Snapdragon 8x50, which was 1ghz, moderate GPU, and a battery hog. It was featured in such phones as the Toshiba TG01 (released in mid-2009), the Nexus 1, Droid Incredible, Xperia x10, and many other phones. By the time WP7 was ready, there were better chipsets out (like the 8x55 they're using in Gen2), but I understand that they really wanted to lock down the software on a proven platform.

Now, they're using the 8x55 for Gen2, which is the same speed, better battery life, and a better GPU. However, they're still using 512MB of RAM. To put this into perspective, this is similar to the guts used in the HTC Thunderbolt and Incredible 2, only with less RAM than those phones. This is considered mid-range hardware today. It's about as powerful as what's in the iPhone 4.

So, I am VERY disappointed that MS is going to release hardware around the same time as the iPhone 5 that is, in essence, an iPhone 4 in terms of capability. That is utterly sad. Their software is outstanding (my personal issues aside), but they need to give it some muscle as well. Releasing a single-core chassis that will be your primary platform for the next YEAR at a time where quad-core phones will begin releasing is just stupid.

EDIT: I just wanted to throw this in because I didn't come here to blast WP7. The OS itself is outstanding, if you like a locked-in iPhone like experience. I'd take it over iOS any day though. And the phone in this thread is very attractive. I'd buy that phone in a heartbeat if; 1. WP7 was a bit more open to the user, and 2. The hardware chassis was more comparable to what we have out today (let alone the time frame this phone will release).

Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

TBH, the 3.7" display means the wife & I would pass on this phone. For me especially I need at LEAST a 4" screen,... Plus, I'm ONLY getting a device that has a removable/replaceable battery - the opposite of my iPhone 4 (even tho I've already opened it, changed the back to an aluminum backing, and investigated it's guts). I love the design, and yeah, the specs fall a little short - but it's still quite a sweet device. I still like it, a LOT!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM

Looks like it could be the highest specced toiletproof phone to date... I'm curious about how the camera will turn out too. Those are bragging rights megapixels right there.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
.......So, I am VERY disappointed that MS is going to release hardware around the same time as the iPhone 5 that is, in essence, an iPhone 4 in terms of capability. That is utterly sad. Their software is outstanding (my personal issues aside), but they need to give it some muscle as well. Releasing a single-core chassis that will be your primary platform for the next YEAR at a time where quad-core phones will begin releasing is just stupid.......
For me, and I think where MS are coming from, is if Mango WP7.5 "sings" on the current mapped hardware specs - what is the need for using dual-core and draining battery use even more? I will wait to see Gen2 in my hand - if snap, scroll, game FPS, IE browser is all smooth and fast - then how much incrementally better will the top-end android specs be for a WP7 build vs the tradeoffs (cost/battery consumption) ???

We shall see I guess

<Oh and PS - tnx for dropping by the WP7 sub-section and "blasting" WP7 :P - even that's better than the echoes I hear from my own voice sometimes lol>

Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
For me, and I think where MS are coming from, is if Mango WP7.5 "sings" on the current mapped hardware specs - what is the need for using dual-core and draining battery use even more?
That's the misconception with dual core. Less battery usage is required by the 2nd core chipping in as needed than just overloading the first core. Proper usage of a second core leads to improved battery life. Sure, maxing out both cores will drain the battery faster, but then that won't be an issue if the software is as efficient as you claim.

Also, while MS's OS may do just fine on older hardware, what about games? We've already seen iOS developers reluctant to port to Android due to discrepancies in hardware. Even within the last year when phones released using superior hardware compared to the iPhone, these were still the relative minority. No matter how efficient the OS is, developers can always use more muscle.

I stand by my original assessment, MS is still a dinosaur when it comes to speed and efficiency in software development. They need to do a better job of supporting current mobile CPUs.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Contributing Editor

Medion, this is one of the few times I disagree with you. While all of the hardware specs are certainly important, everything is relative. Windows Phone is a much more efficient system than Android. Windows Phone, like iOS, just doesn't need the insane specs that Android does.

This is evidenced by the non-existent lag throughout the OS and the more fluid gameplay. Games on Windows Phone (in general) are of much better quality than what Android offers. Going beyond a platform debate though, gameplay is just much smoother and much more natural than what you find on Android on any phone. You can't say that about Android. Windows OS is smooth and hiccup free. Now that the dual core phones are coming out, we're starting to see Android's smoothness. It needs that much power to run efficiently.

Going beyond the idea that iOS and WP7 can operate better than Android on much less computing power, how much do the dual core systems actually improve the experience. As I mentioned, the OS gains some fluidity, But the overall consensus seems to be that for 98% of a phones functions, the dual core power hasn't been utilized yet. That it's not even noticeable from a day to day standpoint. Microsoft could certainly gain beefier hardware, but Android needs to iron out their performance issues as well. Maybe that's just what happens with how fragmented the platform is.

as for the original post,
The phone looks pretty slick actually. I like the colors (not that I'd choose one) and the design. I need a bigger screen though. Hopefully Nokia brings out a 4+ inch beast, otherwise HTC's rumored 4.7" sounds pretty tempting. Of course being the worlds first Mango phone by announcement only doesn't do much. Get this into consumers hands and stop commenting about "Worlds _____." It gets annoying.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
Medion, this is one of the few times I disagree with you. While all of the hardware specs are certainly important, everything is relative. Windows Phone is a much more efficient system than Android. Windows Phone, like iOS, just doesn't need the insane specs that Android does.
You're correct, and I said as much, so there was no disagreement there. I stated that the OS runs fine on current hardware. The problem is that the vast majority of people want to run apps, not just the bare OS. No matter how efficient the OS is, if an application requires "X" from the hardware, and "X" is not there, it will not work.

This second gen SOC uses the Adreno 205 GPU. It's no slouch compared to what we had until recently, but it's a relative dinosaur by today's standards. Sure, it will run Angry Birds and Plants Vs. Zombies, but it's not going to give you the visual experience that you can get on today's mobile GPUs.

The Unreal Engine has been certified for the iPhone 4, iPad, and iPod Touch 4th gen (all using the PowerVR SGX 535), as well as the newer iPad 2 (SGX 543). This same engine was certified on Android phones, but the Adreno 205 is the MINIMUM recommended spec, and that's choppy even with all settings turned down or off. Due to this, Epic is not certifying UE on WP7.

That's one engine, but I'm using it as an example to drive home my point. Some people think that a smooth UI means their phone can run anything. WP7 is a well designed OS, I'm not disputing that. However, until MS steps up to the big leagues and develops their OS for modern hardware, they will remain behind in some areas that do matter. When Xbox Live integration is one of your claimed strong points, not supporting those developers with the proper hardware is a huge mistake.

Android is fragmented because it's designed to run on everything under the sun. Microsoft and Apple are taking the approach of one SOC per generation. This leads to better integration of hardware and software. The difference is that Apple uses current/next generation hardware, while MS uses last generation hardware.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Contributing Editor

Ok, I see where you're coming from. Future proofing. I def agree with you on that aspect.

From an end user now though, games and everything else are above and beyond Android. Beyond the OS, everything runs smoother. I was merely pointing out the issue with Android's lack of smoothness and polish, which should have been handled a long time ago.

So the issue isn't now, it's a down the line thing. That could very well become a problem for WP. We will have to wait and see. As it stands currently, I don't think android is better off with the higher spec devices. games or OS smoothness both taken into account.

Last edited by kasrhp; 08-02-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:49 AM

Don't forget the waterproofness. Ruggedized phones quite often use last gen hardware... Wait until you see what samsung the to offer before you pass judgement on the viability of the OS.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I want a toilet-proof 4" screened phone!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I want toilet-proof 4" screened phone!!!
LOL, only a man can dream.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post

From an end user now though, games and everything else are above and beyond Android. Beyond the OS, everything runs smoother. I was merely pointing out the issue with Android's lack of smoothness and polish, which should have been handled a long time ago.
I'm sorry, but this is truly false. While the OS is smoother in terms of response on WP7, this doesn't translate to better response in gaming. I had a long technical post written out, but deleted it as it just goes on and on and would easily be glossed over. I'll just use a few bullet points instead.

-WP7 chassis 1 uses the same chipset as the Nexus One.
-Games that are ported to both platforms will be similar in performance due to the fact that they use the same hardware and API layer.
-However, both OSes use a different programming language. Android uses C++, same as iOS. WP7 uses C#, same as consoles and the PC. This leads to developers porting their iPhone hits to Android, and either skipping WP7, or having to put in more effort for an inferior product. Studios like Rovio (Angry Birds) and PopCap (Plants vs. Zombies) have the resources to make this work. Smaller developers might not.

So basically, games that are ported to both platforms will be similar in performance. The smoother UI response of the base OS has absolutely nothing to do with this (that's a separate post entirely). Some games will be smoother on one platform or the other, but that's due to poor optimization. PC ports will favor WP7, while iOS ports will favor Android.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Contributing Editor

Medion, I perfectly understand your technical point of view on this. From an end user point of view (Androids fragmentation problem), you can pick up any Windows Phone and get the same level of excellent playback and response with every phone. the same can't be said for Android.

While some Android phones are superior from a hardware standpoint, it isn't universal. High end Android phones are generally fine with playback, but this still varies phone to phone, and even situation to situation. There are numerous reasons for this (poor Android coding, poor use of memory, background apps, etc), but the end result is the same. One phone will play games smoothly, while others won't. One phone will be lag free, the other stutters. This is the con part of Android.

While I didn't mean for this to become such a technical discussion (as nobody seems to challenge your knowledge), this is still a huge part of the end user experience. On Android, this is dependent on many variables. For Windows Phone and iOS (HP/Palm Pre gets bogged down with multiple apps running, but these apps are much more controllable for the user), the end user experience is consistent. Sometimes it isn't all about the hardware.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 AM

Now THAT, I do not disagree with. You are absolutely correct about fragmentation. The problem that I am speaking about is twofold;

1) High end Android phones will have a superior selection of games due to their hardware. WP7 won't even have many of these games developed for it due to the vastly outdated hardware.

2) Qualcomm just renamed their chipsets to avoid consumer confusion. They are S1 (WP7 Chassis 1, Nexus One, Droid Incredible), S2 (WP7 Chassis 2, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt), S3 (HTC Sensation, Evo 3D), and S4 (upcoming Android phones). By the time that Mango hits, they will be 2 generations of hardware behind. They will be the entry level for Android games.

So, WP7 users will have one choice of games, games that work with their device. Android users will be fragmented, but the baseline users will have the same limited selection as WP7 users. THAT is my issue. It's a good choice for Microsoft to support only one range of chipsets as it allows them to get the most out of the hardware for the OS itself. But, by choosing the minimum possible spec, they are limiting what the 3rd party developers can do with these devices.