android
Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post
Where was that list of nonstandard hot sources? Quick, we need to compile a list of sources with good "synergy" with the O2! Uh, make sure to set the gain too high and then as the battery drains...

Audio nirvana!
I hope nobody is upset, but I forgot to mention the O2 is basically useless without the following cable used for the input:

80 cm Cable

Anything else smears the high frequency detail, changes the black background to gray and, worst of all, renders the rhythm and pace far to sluggish to even be listenable.

And iPod owners either need to use the following or their HD800s will sound like Walmart earbuds:

15 cm LOD Cable

Hopefully everybody is OK with that? If you want the best performance you have to use the best cables. It's common knowledge.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-16-2011, 06:18 PM

Make sure to put one of those on your $9.95 Hammond case: http://www.coconut-audio.com/catalog...roducts_id=148

(Yes, this is the store of Patrick82.)

Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 PM

http://www.coconut-audio.com/catalog...roducts_id=110

Earth is trash, it reduces too much PRaT. The Andromeda is much better value for the money.

Seriously though, what IS the pseudo-science behind the rocks?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Just google "Patrick82"...

Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM

I got a small blog and an audiogon profile...

http://www.coconut-audio.com/catalog...products_id=40
http://www.coconut-audio.com/catalog...roducts_id=166

The nerve...

Addendum: Nvm, searched the name at head-fi.

Last edited by Cain; 08-16-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM

A new level of snake oil I didn't even know existed. . .

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Just to end the OT:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...y-patrick82/30

"Bass of Valhalla is very warm like lava, highs are very analytical like ice. But highs are still smooth because of air dielectric (wind machine) and polished conductor surface (you know ice machine like in ice hockey). Valhalla is like having a smooth ice conductor filled with hot lava inside, except" -patrick82

This manages to be even more ridiculous than the man himself. Apparently, the above impression is hilarious to cable believers, but I fail to see how it's different from their own.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM

What the **** is that stuff? Soap? I don't get it... my head is going to explode I think.

Oh, and I liked the thread on which country he should live in to get the best sound.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Default Agendas

Warning: The soapbox is out...

I just received yet another message asking who I work for and what my commercial involvement is in the audio industry. Just to be clear: I haven't worked in any aspect of the audio industry, including anything to do with headphones, in several years. I have zero income tied to any of this.

To those who might believe otherwise, please ask yourself where that rumor got started and what their commercial interests are? Where does their income come from? What products do they have an interest in defending?

And please ask yourself if I had some commercial interest in audio why would I give away an amp design, tell others how to improve their gear, and challenge anyone, commercial or DIY, to beat the O2?

First I was accused of having some connection to FiiO because of my early favorable FiiO reviews. But I've since given the E9 a rather lukewarm review and it's no secret I have little love for the "3 channel" E11.

Then I was accused of having a connection to Benchmark. If that were true why would I set up a blind test of the $1600 DAC1 Pre against the $80 O2 and announce nobody could tell them apart?

Then I was supposedly working for a "new audio company soon to market their gear on great specs". Again, if that were true, why would I be spending all my time with a project like the O2? And, sadly, I doubt such a company is viable anyway. Most want cheap mass produced stuff and specs don't matter, or they want esoteric high bling gear and specs don't matter. And, besides, I'm not exactly a smooth talking marketing type out to win over the most people with my charm (ahem).

It would seem that some just don't want to accept there really are people in this world trying to help others and not expecting anything besides thanks in return. Or they're willing to believe what those who do have a commercial interest tell them about people like me.

I responded to claims I was wrong about the Mini3 with my 3 Channel Article. I responded to claims I had no credibility with the O2. And I responded to the O2's critics with gain changes, additional documentation, and soon with an upgraded Desktop version. It's my hope all these things ultimately help the headphone community at large.

Sorry.. I'll put the soapbox away now... thanks for reading and if you hear any more ugly rumors please consider the original source.

Last edited by NwAvGuy; 08-16-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:16 AM

Wow, I'd heard about Patrick82 but never checked him out, been sitting at the office laughing my ass off all morning

Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 AM

NwAvGuy, it has become clear, due to the blatant insults being thrown around, the baseless theories and criticisms of the design, and the general obfuscation and elitism what the real agendas are.

There hasn't been a single real comment leveled against the overall performance of this amp yet; only a bunch of hollow claims. Most of those trying to make claims haven't even read your articles on the amp and are contradicting design aspects that you explain there or are asking for measurements to be taken that you've already presented.

I, for one, hope that you are able to profit from this endeavor. If not fiscally, then at least morally/ideologically. And at the very least, maybe you can have some good amps lying around to listen to some music. (Well, actually, I know this last one has already happened).

Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 AM

It is ridicolous to see the socalled "cream" of the head-fi, being so full of hate and jelousy. They ban him from the forums, and start attacking him over and over again. But they don`t have the nerve and knowledge to go into a debate on this forum, or his own forum. They are digging their own grave. It is nice to see that there are a lot of interests in the pcb boards at the diyaudio forum. Now there are allready 78 boards preordered.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 AM

Interesting project. Totally down for a kit if the price is right

Itching to bust out the soldering iron.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 AM

There are now allready preordered 96 boards. You will soon pass 100. It will be exciting to see how this process speeds up when the first positive rewievs come up, and when there are availabele finnished products for the average consumer.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 AM

Should be lots of impressions then. I wonder how many people building it have "high-end" gear to compare it too though.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 AM

That's just the thing though, "high-end" usually refers to expensive in audiophile circles. Transparent, reference grade sound is cheap.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwAvGuy
It would seem that some just don't want to accept there really are people in this world trying to help others and not expecting anything besides thanks in return. Or they're willing to believe what those who do have a commercial interest tell them about people like me.
This is unfortunately very true because most people are naturally skeptical, and they can't believe that there are some people in this world who are unselfish.

It's refreshing to see that you are one of those unselfish peole, and kudos to all that you done so far. Hopefully this will shut up the "audiophiles" who think they know better.

I am thinking of ordering a kit myself but right now I don't have the time or patience to put it together.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 AM

could someone help me with a bill of materials on farnell.com? i'd really appreciate it
thank you

i already made one on mouser europe but it costs me 40euros for shipping and 20euros the parts so sad

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwAvGuy View Post
... I also have a vendor in Asia interested and one in the USA but no details yet. ...
Any update on US vendor or are we going to have to order from UK?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the encouragement all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroarex View Post
could someone help me with a bill of materials on farnell.com? i'd really appreciate it
thank you
I've listed as many Farnell part numbers as I could come up with in the BOM spreadsheet (and the last page of the PDF). There are also Farnell notes in the Obtaining The Components section of the O2 Details article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
Should be lots of impressions then. I wonder how many people building it have "high-end" gear to compare it too though.
I know I've made comparisons to high-end gear, but it's also entirely reasonable to simply judge the O2 as a $100 (or less) portable headphone amp. In other words, judge it just like you would a FiiO product, or against its closest competitor the $180 (assembled) Mini3.

The question everyone should ultimately ask is: "What's better than an O2 for less money?" Can even the Head-Fi critics come up with anything that's overall better than the O2, portable, and suitable for as wide of range of headphones? Everyone should be asking them what they suggest for similar or less money instead and look at what limitations that product has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Any update on US vendor or are we going to have to order from UK?
No update. I'm not sure what's going on and I'm getting a bit concerned. I'll send out a few more e-mails. I don't want to de-rail what Olli is doing, but anyone is free to start a US Group Buy as well.

Last edited by NwAvGuy; 08-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Tags
diy, headphone amp, mini3, o2, objective2