android
Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigis View Post
Hi,
It would be nice, if you can add to BOM parts from Farnell or other place for us, Europeans. What Farnell's part nr. are for Box Enclosure ?
There are Farnell part numbers in the Farnell column of the BOM spreadsheet so I'm not understanding what you're asking for? Searching on B2-080SI should find the enclosure as well.

Several parts are not available from Farnell which is why is suggested Mouser Europe as the primary source. Please see:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/...gthecomponents

If someone wants to submit more part numbers to me in spreadsheet form I'll gladly add them to the shared documents.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 PM

Now I find everything on your site, thanks.
Sorry, not read too carefully before

Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm curious to know who's more interested in:
  1. A bare O2 PC board
  2. An O2 kit with a board and at least all the parts to complete the board
  3. An assembled PC board with no soldering required (perhaps optionally with enclosure, batteries, AC adapter)
  4. A fully assembled complete O2

Last edited by NwAvGuy; 08-24-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM

I don't see the point of a kit if you can just buy all the parts. A completed board (3) would be nice. . .

EDIT: I'm going to wait for the Desktop version tho, so my opinion prbly doesn't matter.

Last edited by Satellite_6; 08-25-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwAvGuy View Post
  1. A bare O2 PC board
  3. An assembled PC board with no soldering required (perhaps optionally with enclosure, batteries, AC adapter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
I don't see the point of a kit if you can just buy all the parts. A completed board (2) would be nice. . .

EDIT: I'm going to wait for the Desktop version tho, so my opinion prbly doesn't matter.
I'm in for a completed portable board and like S_6, I really want the desktop when it comes out. I hope it turns out to be as good as it gets.

Btw, NwAvGuy, could you post a full resolution photo of the completed O2?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Btw, NwAvGuy, could you post a full resolution photo of the completed O2?
Thanks for the feedback so far on options.

USG: Did you click on the photos in the O2 Summary article? The bigger versions are fairly clear. Is there something in particular you can't read or see that you're curious about?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
  1. A bare O2 PC board
number 2, i'd like the board and at least all the parts, no case, that would be amazing

Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 AM

Thanks eroarex. I also have the UE Super Fi Pro 5's and, just so you know, if you set up one of the two O2 gain modes for 1X (just clip the resistors) the O2 fixes all the output impedance issues that usually compromise balanced armature headphones like the Super Fi's. It's likely the output impedance of your Sony player is too high.

Once you feed the UEs the proper signal, from a low impedance and low noise source, they can really show off. It's not a subtle difference.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'm interested in either (3) a preassembled board or (4) a complete O2, although I'm currently undecided whether I should wait for the dedicated desktop version instead.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 AM

I would also be interested in either (3) a complete pc board or (4) a complete O2.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
I don't see the point of a kit if you can just buy all the parts.
If you order from mouser and don't go over 75 € (~108 $) you have to add 20 € international shipping costs (to Austria for example). If you could get every part including case and panels from mouser this wouldn't be a problem.
Also, kits are more convenient and chances are lower that you get wrong parts or that parts are missing.

Therefore I prefer option 2, over 3 and 4 even unless the price is okay.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post
If you order from mouser and don't go over 75 (~108 $) you have to add 20 international shipping costs (to Austria for example). If you could get every part including case and panels from mouser this wouldn't be a problem.
Also, kits are more convenient and chances are lower that you get wrong parts or that parts are missing.

Therefore I prefer option 2, over 3 and 4 even unless the price is okay.
Ah.

Well, something half made would still be nice.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback so far on options.

USG: Did you click on the photos in the O2 Summary article? The bigger versions are fairly clear. Is there something in particular you can't read or see that you're curious about?
I saw those pictures, but nothing is like a full rez overhead shot. It makes good template to compare your build to.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I'm curious to know who's more interested in:[*] A fully assembled complete O2[/LIST]
4. And I won't mind paying extra for a super good looking one rather than the cheapest case that can be sourced. I just got a feeling for some reason that it would be the ugliest looking thing to keep cost down. lol

Oh like that Altoids tin amp I think is super cool and cheap as well. Or maybe a Cadbury biscuit tin or something rather than just a metal case.

Last edited by TimYoung; 08-25-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Shike posted a review of the O2 on HeadFi here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/568705/revi...r#post_7708285

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
  1. A bare O2 PC board
(2) with the case.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwAvGuy
  1. A bare O2 PC board
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapide_23 View Post
(2) with the case.
+1

Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 PM

The Gamma 2 DAC uses the same case(The Box industries B2-080) as the portable O2, so it will look very similar (if you want black that is) (actually they'd probably look very good as a paired setup)

Have a look at the Gamma2 album here: https://picasaweb.google.com/111220901501163948823 to get an idea. The panels are sourced from Front Panel express, the same company NwavGuy has suggested, although I could have made the labels slightly bigger..

Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 PM

The O2 Documentation Package has been revised. There's a new PDF, spreadsheet and the PC board files have been revised as well. This is hopefully the final version and what 200-some people will be receiving from the group buy and also the MrSlim builds.

The latest changes:
  • The Parts List (BOM) has been substantially revised showing new alternate part numbers, correcting a few minor errors, and updating various costs.
  • One hole on each of the positive battery terminals was made slightly larger.
  • The MOSFET and IC regulator holes were made larger to allow all the specified part numbers to drop fully into the holes to stay within the maximum height for the enclosure.
  • The top ground fill areas were sightly revised.
  • The RF filter capacitor at the AC power jack has been removed
  • R10 was moved slightly to provide more clearance for S1.
I don't think any of the above changes to the PCB are risky enough to delay things with a fourth prototype PCB. If anyone wants to look over the files, however, another set of eyes would be welcome

Hopefully the O2 is pretty much ready to leave the nest! The files, as always, are here:

O2 Resources

Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 AM

Just a remark, but comparing the O2 to the $1600 DAC1 Pre somewhat bothers me since it seems every article reminds us it.

It bothers me because it's a disingenuous comparison, the $995 DAC1 offers the exact same HPA2 headphone amplification module, moreover the DAC1, as its name indicates is a DAC first and foremost and has 2 of them. In fact, the HPA2 used to retail $150 as a stand alone unit.

Saying that the O2 compares favorably to the $150 HPA2 would be a more realistic comparison.

Tags
diy, headphone amp, mini3, o2, objective2