android
Old 03-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Default Cowon Plenue P1

Here!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

128gb+ storage & BBE/Jet Effect is attractive. What's not is the size, weight and no doubt cost. Also bugs galore if it's Android based.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
128gb+ storage & BBE/Jet Effect is attractive. What's not is the size, weight and no doubt cost. Also bugs galore if it's Android based.
This from the guy that was going to buy a Z2?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not saying I'm going to buy it! I said certain elements about it are attractive, but I'll likely pass on this.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's also (knowing cowon) going to have the same Wolfson audio chips in all the Cowon players, and won't have any higher volume level than their standard fare. Cowon is too far behind the times to matter,...

Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Cowon is too far behind the times to matter,...
Come on man... you got to give them at least some credit. 128GB of storage with high rez support, also plenty of room to house a proper headphone amp in that casing. It will probably be prohibitively expensive but still I think its much more relevant product than the half-assed rehash stuff they have been doing lately.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 AM

I'm happy to see 128GB and microSD support. Price is the big question for me. If it stacks up otherwise and the price is reasonable, I'll probably buy one.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I won't have any faith in Cowon until they prove themselves. All they do is create half-assed efforts. I'm wondering if this will even have the proper hardware to do Android correctly this time around. All they do is promise & then fail to deliver. And everyone who loves Cowon buys and gets shafted in the long run.

I'll see where this goes,...

Old 03-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm more concerned this will be buggy as hell.

It's one thing to offer Android, but it'll prolly be stuck at Gingerbread or some crap and we'll have to jump through hoops to get anything working to our satisfaction (at least that's how it kinda goes for Z1 users).
I don't see a whole lot difference between this and the Z1, sure more gb space but I don't need 128gb + microsdcard, I could get by with a 32gb Z1 and a 64gb sd card. The Z1 looks lighter and more compact than this, I just hope the P1 has a ridiculously long battery life (as that's the main turnoff for the Z1). Not fussed about Hi Res cuz although I'm not certain I'm pretty sure its extra details wasted on my ears.
The way I see it, for it to succeed it needs to pwn other 'Hi Res' players in the battery compartment. That's Fiio's weakness and many other 'Hi Res' players.

All i want is an i9+ with a sd card slot. Seriously... I friggin love so many aspects of the i9+. Size, weight, nice screen quality, 'manageable UI' (compared to other cowon devices that is), it's so close to being perfection for me.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Audiophile pmps are almost always buggy, so this would probably be just that. And I wouldn't be surprised if it cost upwards of $350 since its targeting the niche audiophile market.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 AM

Default Cowon Plenue P1 will support 24-bit/192 KHz audio

http://liliputing.com/2014/03/cowon-...layer-way.html

Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 AM

I'm quite interested in this. I really want to replace my Cowon X7, the lack of responsiveness and terrible quality of the screen is really starting to bug me..

Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My Note3 gets me 3 days of battery life, the screen is 5.7", and the SQ is great. Cowon has to best this to pique my interest - they're failing miserably.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My Note3 gets me 3 days of battery life, the screen is 5.7", and the SQ is great. Cowon has to best this to pique my interest - they're failing miserably.
I'd say there is a 0% chance of that happening....lol.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM

My note II doesn't sound that great, but I'm just using the default player. I'd be kind of interested in the P1 if it wasn't uber expensive, but I'm getting a gig near my house, so the 2.5-3 hours a day I filled with my J3 may soon be over (yay).

Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I won't have any faith in Cowon until they prove themselves. All they do is create half-assed efforts. I'm wondering if this will even have the proper hardware to do Android correctly this time around. All they do is promise & then fail to deliver. And everyone who loves Cowon buys and gets shafted in the long run.

I'll see where this goes,...

I understand your position entirely believe me, so much so that I went out and bought the Sony ZX-1 recently. I think the fact that Cowon has not released a proper player in what seems like years now is possibly a good thing. I'm hoping that they spent that time well and put all their efforts into this player. It must have a decent cpu and at least KitKat to deflect future buyers from all the current competition. The fact that they are still releasing something new is testimony the company isn't yet reedy for the scrapheap and this bodes well for this new player. Lets hope I'm right and Cowon is back.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cowon coming back to me is an i9+ with sd card slot... not this, unless it magically weighs 50g...

Old 03-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

They'd win me over with Rockbox!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Yeah, no. Not gonna happen. Sandisk, Cowon and the likes will never forgo their proprietary firmware/software for a community thing.

It's sad but also understandable. Your brand recognition suffers an that's a bad thing for a corporation.

@BruceBanner

That's exactly it. Cowon should emphasize on their strengths. A mostly formidable design understanding (talking about my J3 and my sister's i7 here) battery life!!!, BBE+ implementation and ffs integrate a µSD-Slot in every freaking player. And compete with apple on the (flash) memory capacity front as well (64 GB minimum).

I still can't believe that they let battery life slide with their "current" players. Even the new iaudio 9+/10 don't play in the same ballpark as the i7, which is a shame. i can't recommend a new player to my sister since the age begins to show on hers. she finds the sansa players not that attractive. i can't blame her (though personally, i wouldn't mind buying a clip sport, if it had 60h+ actual battery life).

I understand that this costs money. But i think they could pull it off. It's just that i think that management is stuck in the past and now they have difficulty to move on.

Unfortunately no one knows (outside of South Korea at least, i guess) how business is going and if they are able to compete against Samsung, Apple etc., but i suspect they are not doing so hot.

According to the SK stock market they lost around 18% over the last year. That doesn't bode too well i think.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/056000:KS

Even better:
https://www.google.com/finance?cid=343650526874184

They lost quite a bit over the last 5 years.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 PM

If it's under $300 I'll buy one.