android
  #1  
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default Cirrus Logic buys Wolfson.

Quote:
Directors of one of Scotland's leading technology firms, Wolfson Microelectronics, have agreed a takeover by a rival based in Texas.

Cirrus Logic is buying the maker of audio microchips, in a deal that values the Edinburgh firm at £291m.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...1367380791#_=_

This is fascinating. The Wolfson vs Cirrus Logic debate has gone on for years, especially in iPod variants.....so what will people argue about now?

I've had DAPs with chips from both companies and can't complain about either, to be honest.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM
skamp's Avatar
skamp skamp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: France
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
This is fascinating. The Wolfson vs Cirrus Logic debate has gone on for years, especially in iPod variants.....so what will people argue about now?
They will say that Cirrus Logic has killed the line of Wolfson DACs, and they'll continue to buy iPod Videos on eBay.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! OK, carry on,...
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 AM
RockMan93's Avatar
RockMan93 RockMan93 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 19
Default

Between the Cirrus and Wolfson what is the best ?
__________________
DAP: SanDisk Sansa Clip Sport 4 Gb black + SanDisk micro sd 32 Gb.
Headphones: Shure Srh 840
"One day also the war will bow to the sound of a guitar" - Jimi Hendrix.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMan93 View Post
Between the Cirrus and Wolfson what is the best ?
Yes.
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM
skamp's Avatar
skamp skamp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: France
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Yes.
I disagree though.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Enigmatic Enigmatic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMan93 View Post
Between the Cirrus and Wolfson what is the best ?
The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-09-2014, 08:22 PM
dawningistheday's Avatar
dawningistheday dawningistheday is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 301
Default

"I think I know I mean a yes, but it's all wrong. That is I think I disagree."
__________________
Cowon J3 32GB + 64GB; Sansa Clip Zip 4GB + 64GB; iPhone 5 64GB; Beyerdynamic DT-880; Phonak Audéo PFE 232; SoundMAGIC PL30
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

They're both "the best".
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

I believe the answer is,"it depends....".
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 AM
RockMan93's Avatar
RockMan93 RockMan93 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
They're both "the best".
Now i understand, sorry i'm a newbie.
__________________
DAP: SanDisk Sansa Clip Sport 4 Gb black + SanDisk micro sd 32 Gb.
Headphones: Shure Srh 840
"One day also the war will bow to the sound of a guitar" - Jimi Hendrix.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
cirrus logic, takeover, wolfson

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.