android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon X7

Old 08-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Help X7 sounds great but what to do about srcewy data organisation?

After downloading my music database on a recently purchased X7, I've found that it totally messes up the organisation of files.

To take some examples:
a. Most seriously it re-organises individual song files giving them bizarre names made up of symbols and numbers (eg. [ &P & ] ). It sometimes designates these as 'Albums'. The eventual file is often unplayable. In other cases the artist name is messed up, consisting of symbols and numbers - like wise song names. These are both playable...
b. ...but these incorrectly named files are split up, so cannot be played as an album.
c. It messes up track order by ascribing different names to songs on an album - eg. one album goes Tracks 1-12, then Track2.m4A, Track 3.m4a etc.

Having looked at other threads here in which this issue is touched upon, I downloaded Mp3tag software to check that my tags were in order. However, looking at some files that are messed up on the X7, these appear absolutely fine when I view the tag info in Mp3tag. To take the album described above track 1 & 2 appear identical, though on the X7 2 appears as Track2.m4A.

This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to avoid when moving from an ipod. I used to have an iRiver on which the music on the player was ordered exactly as that on my computer and was hoping this might be achievable with the X7. As things stand, this is worse than itunes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2011, 02:28 PM

Have you tried using the folder view? This feature was the main reason that made me prefer the X7 over the 160GB iPod (the other reason was the better file format support).

In my case the folder are organized in the following structure: [Artist name]\[Album name]\[Song Number.Song Name]. Super easy to use and perfectly consistent with how my music library is displayed on my Windows desktop, Sansa Clip+ player and anywhere else I want to access it.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 AM

I tried folder view, boren, but while it displays all the albums as folders okay, the track listing is messed up as it organises tracks alphabetically not by track number.

I guess a solution might be to go through my database numbering tracks manually, but this would be pretty laborious. And given that the reviled itunes was capable of organising my files more logically (though far from ideally), I was hoping that there would be some other way of sorting this out on the X7.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:17 AM

The numbering issue is pretty simple to solve. Here's what works for me:

1. Download and install Mp3tag
2. Drag the folders containing the unnumbered songs (or the top level folder containing these folders)
3. In Mp3tag press Ctrl+A to select all files
4. Press Alt+1 to define bulk file rename based on ID3 tags (assuming the tags hold the correct track number)
5. In the format string field enter "%track%. %_filename%" (without the quotes)
6. Click Preview to verify new names, then OK to perform the renaming

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks, boren. I tried this and it was looking good on the computer. However, when I moved the amended files to the X7 it continued to screw up the order on albums with 9+ tracks - going eg. 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4.... So this is only a partial solution.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Do exactly as boren said, except instead of using %track% use $num(%track%,2). This will make it make all track numbers use 2 digits, so 1 becomes 01, 2 becomes 02, so on and so forth. So, an album with 13 tracks would be:

That should do the trick.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM

I guess what is missing are leading zeros for the single digit track numbers. In my case most of the music that I have is music I ripped from my CD's and converted myself (using Foobar2000), so the track numbers all have leading zeros.

There's probably a way to do it in Mp3tag, but I don't have the software installed here (it's my work machine), so I'm not sure what it is. You might want to check the documentation of the other parameters (something like %track%, but with leading zeros should do the trick). Also, unless you have a copy of the files prior to renaming, you'll need to find a way to undo the changes or strip leading numbers.

Edit: I just saw Justin's reply. Looks good! :-)

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boren View Post
you'll need to find a way to undo the changes or strip leading numbers.

Edit: I just saw Justin's reply. Looks good! :-)
As for undoing it, you can always just use the same string format to just give them different names. I've never seen mp3tag do something that wasn't reversible, seeing as it's all in the tags and never actually changing the music file.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks guys. Have tried this and it works. Outside of folder view it remains rather screwy, but I can live with this. Will now have to go through my database - a tad time consuming but worth it I guess to get things in shape.

Have just watched my first film on the X7. Was pleasantly surprised - it's really very good.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 AM

I have 1,000 classical CDs,(12000 tracks or songs). I have them in the computer for safe keeping. Here is my system:

A file named PIANO with subfolders BEETHOVEN, HAYDN, BRAHMS etc.
A file named OPERA with subfolders MADAMA BUTTERFLY, SALOME etc.
A file named SYMPHONY with subfolders BACH, LISZT, etc.
A folder named MUSICALS with subfolders ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, CAMELOT, etc.

Get the idea?

When I get them organized, I just drag them over to the X7. If I want to play a piano piece by Beethoven, I just go to PIANO, then the subfolder BEETHOVEN, and find the piece.