android
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 AM

Default Should we be worried about this?

Right when I noticed this I got pissed. My Galaxy Player better get 2.3, I want to be able to use the front facing camera with Skype. Can only use the back camera atm. Any thoughts on this? Does the Korean edition have the same notice?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 AM

Doing a google search for "This version of the device cannot be updated" brings up tons of results for this exact thing.

Basically it doesn't mean the device PHYSICALLY can't be updated, it means the Kies software needs to be updated to fully handle these devices.

Have you downloaded the latest Kies from Samsung, set the device's usb mode to "Samsung Kies", and connected over usb? If so, I think we just have to wait for another update...

Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 AM

The Korean version does not have that notice and simply says an update is available or something to that effect. The update is not Android 2.3 I believe it was just to fix some things but it was in Korean so I cant say for sure.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

I got this message for a while and it changed to "This is the latest Firmware" you can flash your firmware at samfirmware.com but it only has android 2.2. I think 2.3 will come when the Galaxy Player 3.6 with 2.3 comes out but at that time android 2.4 is closer to release... I absolutely love Samsung's hardware but they should make an effort for customer satisfaction and update it's software.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEO View Post
Right when I noticed this I got pissed. My Galaxy Player better get 2.3, I want to be able to use the front facing camera with Skype. Can only use the back camera atm. Any thoughts on this? Does the Korean edition have the same notice?
although this is not the solution you are looking for, on xda developers somewhere (I'm sorry, I don't remember for the life of me where) a guy made a modified version of skype for android 2.2 that uses either camera. I've used it on my droid charge (which is still [officially ] stuck on 2.2 ), and it does seem to work.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM

What program is that?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM

That program is Samsung Kies, which manages firmware and has some file moving functionality.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mo...OFTWARE.MANUAL

Old 09-23-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suberec View Post
That program is Samsung Kies, which manages firmware and has some file moving functionality.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mo...OFTWARE.MANUAL
alright thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 03:11 PM

I too will be pissed if they don't upgrade to Android 2.3, especially since the new Player 3.6 version they announced will come with it. From what I hear, Samsung does not have a great track record with upgrading existing devices.

I agree the main benefit will be front-camera integration for Skype. They got front camera to work with this version of Qik Samsung put on it, but see my other post for the problem with that. The front camera is one of the things that made this device stand out.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

I already said several times the G1 and G70 will be upgraded to 2.3 by the end of this year.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
I already said several times the G1 and G70 will be upgraded to 2.3 by the end of this year.
Too bad that Android 2.4 will be closer to release. I hope Samsung doesn't screw up and give us the 2.4 update too, they even sold so much players in a short period in Korea I wish they wouldn't think of abandoning the users... http://sammyhub.com/2011/03/04/samsu...ea-in-10-days/

Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 AM

Thoughts?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 AM

Did you flash a custom firmware? When I connected mine, I just get the message that I have the latest firmware. I think the firmware update are only for the KOREAN version which is GB70..Not really sure..

Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlangel0 View Post
Did you flash a custom firmware? When I connected mine, I just get the message that I have the latest firmware. I think the firmware update are only for the KOREAN version which is GB70..Not really sure..
I haven't done anything to it. I'm just worried that mine will never get an update. But it's strange.