android
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConciseStatement View Post
But they've shafted me with the colour options again! That's the third time they insist on only having the 8GB version in the dull colours. This constant decision of forcing you to buy a smaller player to get the colour you want is incredibly grating.
I would agree with this. You would think given the dizzying number of colors offered by Apple on the Shuffle and Nano would be an indication that the other colors would sell.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM

No gapless? No sale since I'm happy with my rockbox'd clip+.

Also how many of you can actually hear the difference between V0 MP3 and FLAC?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
amazon.com won't ship a Clip Zip to Canada. Unlikely to ship further afield. Maybe some of the independent sellers
Nopes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_headshot View Post
No gapless? No sale since I'm happy with my rockbox'd clip+.

Isn't CZ gapless?

V0 MP3 vs FLAC. Sure I can....... under tremendous amount of self delusion and placebo

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM

wow ships in 1-2 months It would most likely be at a store near you by then anyway

Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
No gapless?
Who said that? I know it isn't part of the review...lol. With the ear infection I had, I couldn't hear well enough to really test that when I was writing that up.

So I just gave http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amused_to_Death a quick whirl, and and there was one transition where there was a very slight gap. 1 out of a potential 13 transitions is pretty good, but not perfect. I then tried http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greates...emixes,_Vol._1, and every transition was undetectable. For those who say, "what about TDSOTM or The Wall?" they are not on the player so I couldn't check....but they are not the only gapless albums out there, after all.

So end result, is it perfectly gapless like a Rockboxed player? I guess not quite, but it's damn close.

Quote:
No sale since I'm happy with my rockbox'd clip+.
Can't blame you there.....I still use mine a lot too.

Quote:
I've never done the whole ABX thing, but I feel comfortable assuming that V0 or even V2 is just fine for my needs......I leave the FLACs on the computer.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
wow ships in 1-2 months It would most likely be at a store near you by then anyway
Except ... Sandisk does not sell it's players in India

Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 AM

Like the look and features of the CZ but have a question. It doesn't specifically state Audible support but nobody has said it does not support Audible soooo, anyone know for certain? I did search the thread with no joy.

I think I know the answer but want to be sure before falling back to the C+ because I really like the color screen.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
Except ... Sandisk does not sell it's players in India

it does try flipkart, as of Aug 2011, the clip+ is not available, the fuze is there, i'll wait for the clip zip.

http://www.flipkart.com/search-audio...1-6581c99ce2b9

Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Like the look and features of the CZ but have a question. It doesn't specifically state Audible support but nobody has said it does not support Audible soooo, anyone know for certain? I did search the thread with no joy.

I think I know the answer but want to be sure before falling back to the C+ because I really like the color screen.
Yes, Audible is still supported.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmailservice View Post
it does try flipkart, as of Aug 2011, the clip+ is not available, the fuze is there, i'll wait for the clip zip.

http://www.flipkart.com/search-audio...1-6581c99ce2b9
Everybody who sells Sansa players in India imports from US and sells it there. I usually find that I get 8GB players (post shipping, duties and taxes) for about 4GB price in India. I just need to be patient .

PS: Let's keep further India specific discussions to PM.

Last edited by esanthosh; 08-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM

FLAC stays on my main file server.. FLAC gets played by anything directly attached to my network, but I convert to q2 Ogg Vorbis when loading a portable player.. I do that purely for the space efficiency (and I strongly support patent free formats).. If I had a portable player with 160GB or more storage, I'd run FLAC there as well since my library would fit entirely, even as all FLAC.

As far as telling the difference between v0 mp3 and FLAC? Nope.. mp3 becomes essentially transparent to me somewhere around 160kbps-192kbps.. Ogg Vorbis becomes virtually transparent to me around 112-128k. Above those levels, it's all the same to me..

I rip to FLAC because it gives me a perfect source to play, or from which I can encode a lossy version with only 1 generation of loss.

One day, resilient portable storage will hit that sweet spot.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Administrator

I still trying to figure out where the "can you hear the difference" thing came from. Marv ran a run down test because it became the topic of discussion is the only thing I can remember. IIRC that was just part of some generalized testing he was doing to check if the battery life with FLAC was as bad as with the Clip+ in the OF. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That's the difference I was responding to.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
amazon.com won't ship a Clip Zip to Canada. Unlikely to ship further afield. Maybe some of the independent sellers.

Steve
I Live in Australia. I just checked amazon and they do indeed ship to me. $79AUD all up for a 8gb blk clip zip. If it helps it says sold by: Amazon Export Sales. So perhaps you have to buy from the right place in amazon. I was quite surprised as Amazon have NEVER sold to Oz before.
That price aint bad. It's slow shipping tho. Maybe by the time it gets to me it will be rockboxable xD

I have a fella literally up the road from me whose selling them but he's charging $110AUD for the 8gb clip zip
I'd really want to support him, as I have bought goods from him before, but thats quite a big price difference.
http://www.themp3outletstore.com.au/...r-2gb-605.html

Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I still trying to figure out where the "can you hear the difference" thing came from. Marv ran a run down test because it became the topic of discussion is the only thing I can remember. IIRC that was just part of some generalized testing he was doing to check if the battery life with FLAC was as bad as with the Clip+ in the OF. Maybe I'm missing something.
All I did it for was comparison testing with the Clip+....I certainly was not trying to start a Head-Fi argument in an ABI thread.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
The best deal I've seen has been at, of all places, SanDisk's own online store. Having the full line of Clip Zips, SanDisk is selling the players at the full retail cost. Ah, but then, if you register with SanDisk before buying, you get 10% off your first purchase. And then, through September 6, SanDisk is shipping for free. And then, once more through September 6, SanDisk is throwing in a real nice and nifty (albeit a bit thick) carry case with carabiner (retail price: $15).

Unless you want to buy local (although I don't see a great reason here to do so) or to wait for prices to come down, the SanDisk store seems to be the way to go.

http://shop.sandisk.com/store?Action...SiteID=sdiskus
Thanks. Ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Before somebody jumps in and says "memory cards are cheaper than internal memory anyways"
Actually, not on Sansa's own website. The difference between the 4Gb Clip Zip and the 8Gb Clip Zip is less than the price of a 4Gb microSDHC card.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
Actually, not on Sansa's own website. The difference between the 4Gb Clip Zip and the 8Gb Clip Zip is less than the price of a 4Gb microSDHC card.
Do you mean the price of the 4GB microSDHC card also on their site?

I would never order a microsd card directly from them.....the prices elsewhere are much more in my price range.
From SanDisk's own site (mysterious, no price for the 32GB).....

And from Amazon.com (I know, not available to everyone)...

Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Marv, had you planned on doing any testing with AAC files? There have been a few people that have been here trying to move away from the iPod that haven't been able to do that without transcoding their existing .m4a files and losing some quality. It seems that by adding AAC support the Clip Zip is opening the opportunity for them to make a seamless transition.

All I see is the usual .mp3 battery test setup in the disclaimers. It would nice to know if they set things up for the people making the jump to have the same type of battery life as .mp3 users.

Last edited by skip252; 08-30-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Marv, had you planned on doing any testing with AAC files? There have been a few people that have been here trying to move away from the iPod that haven't been able to do that without transcoding their existing .m4a files and losing some quality. It seems that by adding AAC support the Clip Zip is opening the opportunity for them to make a seamless transition.

All I see is the usual .mp3 battery test setup in the disclaimers. It would nice to know if they set things up for the people making the jump to have the same type of battery life as .mp3 users.
I had thought about it....problem is, over the past year, everything I had in that format I've replaced withe either LAME MP3 or FLAC plus LAME, so that all my stuff would play on any one of my players. Same thing with Vorbis, now that I think about it.

I guess I could rip a CD with iTunes into m4a, and convert one of my FLAC albums into Vorbis, and do repeat shuffle tests. It wouldn't be the identical test like my other ones were, shuffling through a large library though. And then I would have to decide what bitrate to use, to approximate what most might use.

And it's a PITA doing these because it's not like a Rockbox battery bench, where you can start it and walk away....these, you have to hover over the thing, at least after the 5 hour mark. So I might be able to do one of the two formats on Thursday, and the other over the weekend.....just give me an idea what bitrates I should use for these to be fairly representative of the masses.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Administrator

I believe iTunes files are 256 kbps .m4a. I haven't looked that up so anyone that has better info please chime in. For a real life type battery drain test I'd think that would be what a iTunes user would want to know. I wouldn't re-rip anything. Encoding from your lossless library would give the same results. That would be much faster also.

If you get a copy of the free Nero encoder and put a copy of neroAacEnc.exe in the same folder as foobar2000.exe setting up foobar2000 for the encoding is really simple. It finds the encoders in it's root folders natively. All you have to do is set the output folder and bitrate. That Nero encoder can be used by quite a few other free softwares like Musicbee, fre:ac or XRecode. You may find it simpler to set up one of those.

I wouldn't think you would need to fill both the internal and external memories to get an idea of battery life. A good representative sample on each memory would seem to be enough. It's not Rockbox but when I do battery benches with that I just make a playlist that includes a GB or two from each memory. Since my results are fairly consistent with the other battery bench test it seems that's OK.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty