android
Old 08-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK skip, I've got some test files converted. I took the double album "The Essential Iron Maiden" and I have it converted to Q5 Ogg Vorbis, and 255kbps m4a. When I run my tests, I'll put Disc 1 on the internal and Disc 2 on the card.

It may take a couple of days, as I mentioned before.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM

Good choice of music!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM

All this trouble for a $50.00 player, you’ve done more than is expected. AFAICare if it's as good as the clip & plus as you've proven, I'm fine with it and once closer to rockbox I'll pull the trigger.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
OK, here is what I found.....
The photo from the diagnostics menu showing the FM Tuner (Silabs SI4702) and "Visionox" is interesting. Only thing Google came up with for "Visionox" is a Chinese OLED manufacturer. I assume the CZ's screen isn't an OLED screen, but an LCD/TFT?

Edit: nevermind, Visionox make TFTs too - http://www.visionox.com/en/product.aspx?PrID=4

Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Mostly I'm asking about the AAC battery life due to my oversized curiosity bump. I can't see much use for me as I don't use AAC. Now if it turns out the battery life is something significantly better I might have to rethink that. The people that want to make that iPod/iTunes switch should find some idea of potential battery life useful though.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was just about to post that I doubt the Sansa AAC runtime will be better than what one would get with Rockbox, and then I went to http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime and saw there are no AAC benches posted.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Do you mean the price of the 4GB microSDHC card also on their site?

I would never order a microsd card directly from them.....the prices elsewhere are much more in my price range.
Indeed! Thank you for pointing it out. I should have checked myself, rather than assume that because the Clip Zip was similarly price, so would the memory cards be.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Mostly I'm asking about the AAC battery life due to my oversized curiosity bump. I can't see much use for me as I don't use AAC. Now if it turns out the battery life is something significantly better I might have to rethink that. The people that want to make that iPod/iTunes switch should find some idea of potential battery life useful though.
Yeah, I'm curious too. I have quite a few aac files of seldom-played albums; and would love to just drop them into the player without going through the bother of finding the original CD's/FLAC's and converting them into MP3.

Since I have a CZ of my own now; I might have to conduct my own tests this weekend.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 AM

Hi,

could anyone post here RMAA test score of clip zip

Thank you.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajrangmj View Post
Hi,

could anyone post here RMAA test score of clip zip

Thank you.
I don't think anyone here does RMAA except for dfkt.....I'm sure he'd be willing to do one, but I don't think he has access to a Clip Zip yet.

I think it will probably measure the same as a Rockboxed Clip+....with EQ disabled, RB Clip+ and Clip Zip sound identical to me.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_K View Post
Yeah, I'm curious too. I have quite a few aac files of seldom-played albums; and would love to just drop them into the player without going through the bother of finding the original CD's/FLAC's and converting them into MP3.

Since I have a CZ of my own now; I might have to conduct my own tests this weekend.
Sounds like a great idea. Marv's been doing a very nice job of testing things from the way he's set up but a single set of results doesn't really give enough information to be able to tell what the average would be.

Whenever you have more information I'm sure others would be interested in your results too. With you saying that you would need to dig out the old CDs and FLACs it sounds like you did your own ripping/converting. What bitrate did you decide to go with?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Sounds like a great idea. Marv's been doing a very nice job of testing things from the way he's set up but a single set of results doesn't really give enough information to be able to tell what the average would be.

Whenever you have more information I'm sure others would be interested in your results too. With you saying that you would need to dig out the old CDs and FLACs it sounds like you did your own ripping/converting. What bitrate did you decide to go with?
Well, 99% of my collection is finally archived to FLAC; taken directly from CD rips. Most of the time I use V2 for my MP3 rips, as a balance between SQ and file size.

The aac (m4a) files were mainly taken off the evil monster iTunes (just joking about the 'evil' part), so they are in a variety of different bit rates. That was before I got wise.... No more lossy download purchases for me. Most of everything I originally got off iRipOff, I've since replaced with CD. There are a few things that aren't that essential to replace.

Hopefully, I'll have a bit of free time this weekend to see what the battery life is like with aac files with the CZ.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm planning to do my AAC and Vorbis tests tomorrow and the next day.....but yes, it is good to see another set of results.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

First fail of the day.....I started my AAC battery life test, set to shuffle all, and left the room for a while.........but forgot about the fact that with just one double album on there, that I would need to also have it set on "repeat all" too!

So now I am recharging, after updating the firmware, and then the test shall commence once more.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
... after updating the firmware, and then the test shall commence once more.
That makes the other tests invalid cause they were on the old fw

Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
That makes the other tests invalid cause they were on the old fw
Well, I'm not going back and repeating them all....lol.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not going back and repeating them all....lol.
I can understand but I did read there was a little battery tweak with the latest fw so I thought I'd mention it. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it lasts as long as the 2 previous models I'm fine. Sure longer battery life would have been a welcome surprise but at the cost of it getting a bigger housing I'd rather keep it ≥

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I can understand but I did read there was a little battery tweak with the latest fw so I thought I'd mention it. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it lasts as long as the 2 previous models I'm fine. Sure longer battery life would have been a welcome surprise but at the cost of it getting a bigger housing I'd rather keep it ≥
Battery tweak? Where did you read that?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Battery tweak? Where did you read that?
I did not mean to give you the impression that it had anything to do with extending it, but I read somewhere that they did something in regards to the battery in new fw. I doubt wether or not it makes any difference, but who knows for sure other than them unless we did compare. BTW I'm not asking for any comparisons or testing, as I stated before I’m fine with ≥.

Edit: I just tried looking for what I had read, can't find it, ... hope it wasn't a dream

Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I did not mean to give you the impression that it had anything to do with extending it, but I read somewhere that they did something in regards to the battery in new fw. I doubt whether or not it makes any difference, but who knows for sure other than them unless we did compare. BTW I'm not asking for any comparisons or testing, as I stated before I’m fine with ≥.

Edit: I just tried looking for what I had read, can't find it, ... hope it wasn't a dream
I just hope if they did do something in that regard that they didn't screw anything up.....if you look at the PM I sent you on Tuesday you'll know what I mean.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty