android
Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM

no noe can really tell the half life of the CZ battery as of yet no one has owned one long enough to tell. Based on what people say here it should be a very long time. something will likely break on the player requiring it to be replaced before the battery dies. And clips of the past hold up pretty well as for things breaking or malfunctioning

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 PM

I just purchased a Sony E-Series 2 weeks ago, but I am for sure sticking this in my cart and hitting checkout the first chance I get. Having owned, and given away, the 2 previous Clips, I see the improvements and am impressed. Rockbox will make this thing plastic gold.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It actually is one player that doesn't need Rockbox installed,...and I NEVER have said that before.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 PM

I can see that, but I'm all for crazy detailed EQ and the occasional game of Snake in that small of a package. I even played it on my old Clip I will not regret ny purchase even if Rockbox fails on this beauty.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
It actually is one player that doesn't need Rockbox installed,...and I NEVER have said that before.
I don't mind it without Rockbox at all....I'll most likely not rush into loading it on there until it is good and ready.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I don't mind it without Rockbox at all....I'll most likely not rush into loading it on there until it is good and ready.
Considering how good those guys are, and how fast they work, you really won't have long to wait then.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 PM

From what I saw, the insides are basically the same right? Won't be long now!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Thanks for answering my earlier question. About need for rockbox-I have read at several places that it has a really long boot time, maybe rockbox will improve on that.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
Thanks for answering my earlier question. About need for rockbox-I have read at several places that it has a really long boot time, maybe rockbox will improve on that.
I really think that Marvin would have mentioned a long boot time. The Clip+ boots really quickly. What can be really long is the database refresh time. If you are handling your player poorly (I was going to say stupidly, but I'll be nice), this can happen at turn on, so will appear to be a long boot time.

There are ways to reduce the database refresh, mostly be managing your mp3 tags carefully.

Steve

Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I really think that Marvin would have mentioned a long boot time. The Clip+ boots really quickly. What can be really long is the database refresh time. If you are handling your player poorly (I was going to say stupidly, but I'll be nice), this can happen at turn on, so will appear to be a long boot time.

There are ways to reduce the database refresh, mostly be managing your mp3 tags carefully.

Steve
Exactly right, Steve....tag management is the key.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:06 AM

I have not yet received my Clip Zip but I think I will start tagging my music already so that it is ready by the time my Clip zip is delivered. I am using Winamp for doing so. I wish there was something in Linux to tag my mp3 collection but there is no easy solution here.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
The Clip Zip does not have a long boot time. (As opposed to database refresh time.) I read the long boot time comment in one professional review (it was either PCMag or Cnet) and I suspect the unit was defective.

Just timed: on my player, from press of the on button to appearance of the what's playing screen, 11 seconds (during which time the opening SanDisk graphics appear). And in case it makes any difference, an 8GB Clip Zip with 16GB microSD card, with a few songs/files on the internal memory and the microSD card mostly full.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
The Clip Zip does not have a long boot time. ...
I would think that boot time varies when new files are added, have you tried loading new files to see if there's a difference ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A couple of new new observations.....

Interesting thing....if you take the microsd card out, the next time you start it up, it does not refresh the database like the Clip+ does. In fact, I have a theory now as to why it refreshes quicker than my Clip+...I think it may be because of the now playing screen not having the track number data. For example, if you select the first song in the song list on a Clip+, it will say 1/952 on the now playing screen, for example....not so on the Zip.

Also, if you access the track info screen on the C+, scrolling down to the bottom displays the track gain and album gain numbers from ReplayGain scanning....not so on the Zip, although the ReplayGain itself works just fine.

So those two factors may explain why it feels a hair quicker through the menus and why it refreshes faster....a little less memory being used.

Oh, and as far as boot times.....this is what I get when there is no database refresh required.
My Zip with 16GB card, with 168MB free on internal and 31MB free on the external, boots in 9.3 seconds (from the push of the power button through the startup process until it is ready to use).

With the card removed, it booted in 6.7 seconds.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Now try replacing some files with new ones and re-time it

Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Now try replacing some files with new ones and re-time it
That wouldn't be the same....then the database refresh comes into play, which is an entirely different thing.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't be the same....then the database refresh comes into play, which is an entirely different thing.
Of course, that's just another reason that rockboxed players pwn sansa fw ... but I think this db refresh is where it would be important to peeps, unless you don't frequently update your tunes.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Of course, that's just another reason that rockboxed players pwn sansa fw ... but I think this db refresh is where it would be important to peeps, unless you don't frequently update your tunes.
I did post database refresh times, though...http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=149

Old 09-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I did post database refresh times, though...http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=149
Thanks, I must have missed post #149.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Did the other guy say why he thought his zip was defective? I just got mine in the mail yesterday and my microSD card slot(4GB Gunmetal Grey btw) is broken. I also recieved a mini-USB cable in the box as well instead of a micro-USB like the player uses. Basically what happens when a card is inserted is the player freezes if on and has to be hard reset. If inserted while off it will freeze at the sansa logo.

Can't wait to get my new player Amazon sent it today and it will be here tomorrow. Now I need to find a program for OSX to work on my album art/tags.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty