android
Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I found a dramatic increase in refresh time in going from a 16GB card to a 32GB card (unfortunately).

SanDisk really needs to work on the refresh time "bug" (or is it a "feature" at this point?!?).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, my 32GB card chokes up the Zip and it shuts down before it refreshes even half way, and that's with only 700MB on the internal memory, and 29GB on the card.

The same card, in my Clip+, which has a nearly full internal memory, refreshes in seven minutes, thirty-four seconds. This card will be going in the Zip though....it works just fine with Rockbox installed.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So the sansa stock firmware is failing on a 32gb card? but RB isn't is that right?

That's sad to hear, but not surprising. So many companies these days releasing goods that simply don't do what they say on the 'tin'.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
So the sansa stock firmware is failing on a 32gb card? but RB isn't is that right?

That's sad to hear, but not surprising. So many companies these days releasing goods that simply don't do what they say on the 'tin'.
Yes, it works with Rockbox. But I don't understand why it works fine on the Clip+ and not the Zip.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Yes, it works with Rockbox. But I don't understand why it works fine on the Clip+ and not the Zip.
My guess is that this is an unintended byproduct of the Clip Zip's GUI refresh. When manufacturers start mucking around in the coding, sometimes the coding gets mucked.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My (legit.) 32GB microSD card originally was acting a bit "off" when in my Clip Zip--a format using the SD Association's Formatter tool seemed to have helped ("seemed" being the operative term).

Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
My (legit.) 32GB microSD card originally was acting a bit "off" when in my Clip Zip--a format using the SD Association's Formatter tool seemed to have helped ("seemed" being the operative term).
I did that first thing with the card, before I ever loaded anything on it. It's ok though.....once again, Rockbox came to the rescue.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Why bother with the OF when there’s rockbox

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Why bother with the OF when there’s rockbox
QFT

Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 PM

The thing is though that it is not ok. If 32 GB cards do not work with the software out of the box that's a fault. Saying that rockbox adds functionality that should already be there is making excuses for them. Not cool.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The Zip handles more file formats then the Clip+. Maybe some file that gets ignored on the + causes the crash on the Zip?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
The Zip handles more file formats then the Clip+. Maybe some file that gets ignored on the + causes the crash on the Zip?
Ding! We have a winner.

I removed the card and put it in my card reader so I could investigate this. I had forgotten that in planning this card for use with Rockbox that I was freed of my usual codec constrictions.....and so as saratoga surmised, there was a format the Zip didn't like....a couple of different variations of .m4a. One multi-track album, which was high-bitrate VBR, and one hour-long single track.

The high-bitrate and VBR AAC has been reported often on the SanDisk forum as being problematic.

Here again, however, one has to consider that SanDisk did advertise AAC compatibility with this player, which has been proven to be remarkably finicky with the different AAC encoders.

Anyways, mystery is solved....and I can go back to listening to the player, with Rockbox installed, of course.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:16 PM

thanks for the review.

for me, an mp3 player has to be all about the sound. i couldn't care less about the coloured screen or anything else.
i've had the clip+ for a while now and it obviously has a very good sound. so how does this new player compare to the clip+ plus?
is it worth getting because its a step-up as far as the quality of sound?

no doubt these questions may of been asked and answered already, however i'm afraid its impossible for me to read so many pages, so thank you in advance.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Clip+ and Zip use the exact same components and perform the same.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM

I purchased the Clip Zip (4GB) from Best Buy today because they are on sale this week for $39.99. I used a stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to connect it to my O2 amp. I wasn't running FLAC files and I didn't adjust the EQ at all. To me, the Clip Zip just seemed kind of "thin" sounding compared to my Sansa Fuze. Also, between songs, I was getting some horrible loud static. I need to investigate if there's some sort of cross-fade setting to eliminate this.

Needless to say, this kind of irritated me a bit. I have some Sansa Fuze goodies headed my way towards the end of the week - back up Fuze player, LOD cable, etc. I think the Clip Zip will be heading back to BB as a return.

I'll play with it some more tonight to see if my impressions change - but, my first impression isn't so favorable.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

t2t...

which firmware release is on your player? Have a look at the firmware update thread, if I recall correctly the static is fixed by firmware (Sorry I don't own a zip).

What earphones/headphones are you using? You may not need that amp. Check how it sounds without the amp.

Steve

Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 PM

OK, Now that I've had some time with the Clip Zip, I was able to get it recognized by my home computer so I could update the firmware. I went ahead and did the update, it now seems that the static between songs has been removed. It was actually quite loud and irritating.

Also, earlier, I used my woody Grado SR-225i headphones with the O2 amp and the Clip Zip, yet didn't feel too impressed with what I heard. However, when I got home, I moved from the Grado headphones over to the woody Magnums. I'm now going through some of my my music and the Magnums feature a great low end and a neutral high end, that's not over-emphasized. I guess I'm quite amazed at the sound that's being pushed out through such a small device about the size of a money clip and for only $39.99.

I'll keep on testing the audio through my various genres and see if my attention remains captured. However, still, I think the Clip Zip is a few notches ahead of my Walkman NW player with the LOD cable. More testing is needed, though. Also, between the Clip Zip and the amp, I'm just using a regular stereo sound cable from an LCD monitor to connect to a sound card. I purchased another 3.5mm plug during the day today so I can finish off my Mogami cable which I'll use instead and see if there's any perceived difference.

Also, on thing that seems to be quite apparent is the stereo separation and sound stage. Granted, Grado isn't the first name to come to mind for a great sound stage. However, this has essentially changed with the Magnum drivers, which does restore the stage a bit.

Impressive.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
t2t...

which firmware release is on your player? Have a look at the firmware update thread, if I recall correctly the static is fixed by firmware (Sorry I don't own a zip).

What earphones/headphones are you using? You may not need that amp. Check how it sounds without the amp.

Steve
Thanks for the ideas. I was writing a long-winded response at the time your post was applied. I did perform the firmware update and the issue seems resolved. Also, I'm running wooden cups with Magnum drivers in a Grado configuration. The amp really brings out the best here.

Cheers.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Hi there,

I'm considering purchasing a Clip Zip. I have a question. Does it come with a bookmark feature built-in or will that require me to load Rockbox?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Has it.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty