android
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post

They are both great players. I would be happy to take a thicker or larger clip in the future if it brought about a wicked 30hr battery life and bigger higher resolution screen!
I disagree completely...it is just the right size now!
And I'm not concerned with the screen, either.....99% of the time my screen looks like this.....

I don't very often bother with a graphical WPS....if I want album art, I have other, bigger-screened players I can use.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pfft!!! 30hrs on a clipzip??? FTW!!! I'd luv it,...

Old 02-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelsantos View Post
Ok guys I'm really considering adquiring one of these, my question is very simple and i expect also a simple answer:
which one (cz or clip+) to buy to listen mainly hardstyle (my phones are the sennheiser mx 370)?
also consider the price diference please, i mean, even if the cz is better a bit (i mostly care about sound and browse speed) does it pay off to get it or not? (cz -> 56€=73$ ; clip+ -> 41€=53$). Both versions I pretend to buy are the 8gb ones (:
Best regards, any help would be apreciated
As dfkt sorta said, pick the one you like best based on the other features. Which would include price.

For me, one of the other features is playlists. In the current Clip Zip firmware, playlists do not work. I am expecting that sooner or later there will be a firmware release that fixes this. Certainly switching to Rockbox fixes it.

Steve

Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM

however rockbox's way of doing playlists is awful IMO. At least last time I tried it which was late 2010ish. i still don't know how to transfer a pre made playlist from wmp and have it show up in rb as a playlist it always just adds the music and ignores the fact that it was in a playlist.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
however rockbox's way of doing playlists is awful IMO. At least last time I tried it which was late 2010ish. i still don't know how to transfer a pre made playlist from wmp and have it show up in rb as a playlist it always just adds the music and ignores the fact that it was in a playlist.
Because you never figured out that your playlists needed to be made from the files on the player isn't a Rockbox issue. WMP isn't the best tool for that imo but it can create .m3u playlists from files on the player if you set it properly.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
... 99% of the time my screen looks like this ... http://i.imgur.com/0wDS5.png ...
Must get boring listening to porcupine tree 99% of the time

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Agree.
The black and white screen of the clip+ is more than enough for me, but I'd really want more battery life. Even with rockbox, listening to flac files and not touching the player at all (except for starting it) it doesn't go over 13-14 hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrik View Post
On October 12th 2011, we increased some of the voltages for the DAC in rockbox to match the voltage settings that the original firmware uses. This also increased the volume, so that probably explains the volume increase you noticed. This applies to all "AMSv2" targets, so to both the clip+ and the clip zip.
This may also have fixed some other minor audio problems, like subtle clicks/"zip" sounds when pausing/unpausing audio (I don't notice them anymore, but I'm not a very discriminate listener anyway).

As far as I can know, the clip zip has a 300 mAh battery vs. a 290 mAh for the clip+, so the clip zip battery should outlast the clip+ battery a bit. I can't explain the difference you see. On the other hand, we haven't really tried to look into clip zip battery measurements or optimisations yet.
Could you please focus on that as a priority? For a lot of us the reason to use rockbox is to have a higher battery life, with the advantage of the size of this tiny player.

Last edited by dfkt; 02-17-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Posts merged - dfkt

Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bertrik, might it be possible that the color OLED (and maybe the RDS tuner chip) in the ZIP draw more juice than the monochrome screen on the Clip+, making battery capacity differences less weighty?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I disagree completely...it is just the right size now!
And I'm not concerned with the screen, either.....99% of the time my screen looks like this.....
[IMG][/IMG]

I don't very often bother with a graphical WPS....if I want album art, I have other, bigger-screened players I can use.
Yeh i hear what yer saying, i'm not talking about killing the clip line, there's a demand for it, but sometimes I find navigation (making playlists etc) almost too fiddly and just a tad larger device would also mean space for a better battery and ease of use (without compromising form factor). I'm not talking summin as large as the fuzev2 but somewhere inbetween.
I'm not really interested in owning two players, i want one player to rule them all. For me, a clip zip that's larger than current version, yet smaller than v2, with a high res screen and 30hr battery life would be the player to rule them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
^^ hehe yeh

But im kinda full of crap seeing as dfkt is bullying me into saving for a Motorola MOTOACTV android watch that costs $350 for the 16gb version (I have saved $120 so far :'(

Also regarding CZ battery, im lucky to get 6-7hrs (in real use) nvm 13-14. I'm sure i'd get 13-14 if i left it on and didnt skip tracks etc.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That funky Motorola workout watch? Oh no's,...I'd pass on dat!!! I luv Motorola, but not THAT much!!! Well, then again,...it IS a neat little toy,... DAMN!!! Now you got ME curious,...

Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 AM

hello, I dont wanna mess up the thread and the entire forum (site) but right now, I'm on the verge of getting a clip zip or an 8GB nano 6th gen, both brand new, which one do you think is best? given that it has the same price range, since I will be buying it from a member. thank you

Old 02-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't heard the 6th gen nano, but have messed about with it. I like the quality of the screen display, it trumps the pants off the cz, really, there is no comparison. It also supports displaying lyrics over album art which i like. I also think (but someone can correct me) that battery life will be better on the nano than the cz.

But the cz (especially when rockboxed) has FAR greater potential to SOUND better (especially to the individual user) as it caters far more eq and sound tweaks. the cz also has the potential to carry more songs via sd card.

So for me this issue boils down to looks vs sounds. Nano wins on looks, cz most likely on sound and storage space (ie more sounds to boot lol).

Let me put it another way. I have the cz AND the clip+, both sound the same, and altho the screen is larger and in colour on the cz it really doesn't matter THAT much in real term use. At the end of the day we LISTEN, complile playlists on these devices, not stare at lovely high res album art all day long. It might be a case of the cz winning functionality over the nano, but the nano winning in aesthetics.

Apple winning on aesthetics but not functionality, what a surprise thought!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
I haven't heard the 6th gen nano, but have messed about with it. I like the quality of the screen display, it trumps the pants off the cz, really, there is no comparison. It also supports displaying lyrics over album art which i like. I also think (but someone can correct me) that battery life will be better on the nano than the cz.

But the cz (especially when rockboxed) has FAR greater potential to SOUND better (especially to the individual user) as it caters far more eq and sound tweaks. the cz also has the potential to carry more songs via sd card.

So for me this issue boils down to looks vs sounds. Nano wins on looks, cz most likely on sound and storage space (ie more sounds to boot lol).

Let me put it another way. I have the cz AND the clip+, both sound the same, and altho the screen is larger and in colour on the cz it really doesn't matter THAT much in real term use. At the end of the day we LISTEN, complile playlists on these devices, not stare at lovely high res album art all day long. It might be a case of the cz winning functionality over the nano, but the nano winning in aesthetics.

Apple winning on aesthetics but not functionality, what a surprise thought!
thank you for the swift reply, I own a clip+ too, but right now, im looking for a player that I can plug with my O2 and leave it in my room. I am not into looks but I am also not so sure on what to get, since both are on the same price.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

O2?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
O2?
yup, the one from RS

Im out of time, I will be meeting the seller in a while, since you have mentioned that CZ and Clip+ sounds the same, I think I wanted to try the Nano

Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwreck View Post
… im looking for a player that I can plug with my O2 and leave it in my room. …
Quote:
… since you have mentioned that CZ and Clip+ sounds the same, I think I wanted to try the Nano
Volume matched and no EQ I'd bet all three sound the same, "Oh!" that’s right, the nano has no EQ. If you are going to look for a player to leave permanently attached with the O2, I’d look for something that you can adjust/tweak to compensate for different headphones. For a period I used some of my players with my headphone amp, then I sourced it from my CD player for ages. I finally settled running the amp from my laptop via an external DAC via one simple IC (I use this quick connect/disconnect as I do not leave my laptop next to my amp all the time). I really like the laptop flexibility as I can use VST plugins and easily experiment with different players …

Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Volume matched and no EQ I'd bet all three sound the same, "Oh!" that’s right, the nano has no EQ. If you are going to look for a player to leave permanently attached with the O2, I’d look for something that you can adjust/tweak to compensate for different headphones. For a period I used some of my players with my headphone amp, then I sourced it from my CD player for ages. I finally settled running the amp from my laptop via an external DAC via one simple IC (I use this quick connect/disconnect as I do not leave my laptop next to my amp all the time). I really like the laptop flexibility as I can use VST plugins and easily experiment with different players …
now Ive got the nano, dealt so fast. quite interesting but cant say/compare about the SQ yet, since im charging it. I might want to a/b test both clip+ and nano

Old 02-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
now Ive got the nano, dealt so fast. quite interesting but cant say/compare about the SQ yet, since im charging it. I might want to a/b test both clip+ and nano
IIRC the nano is much louder so don't forget to volume match them or you may get tricked.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The nano doesn't have an eq? I think it has the presets - but no "custom" eq. And yes, iPods are bloody LOUD!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think you made the right decision.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty