android
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Clip zip good or not?

I have a question for the Clip Zip owners. Looking at Amazon, I see a very high percentage of people complaining (242 out of 777) about Clip Zip being DOA or dying a within very short time. Also a lot of complaints about the screens, battery life and general quality of the player. Many of these seem to be former Clip/clip+ owners. I don't see that so much here in this forum. So what's the story? Is it good and reasonably (given the price) reliable or not? On Amazon almost half the reviews are 3 stars or less.This does not inspire confidence. I would like a a quick answer if possible. My wife is going to the States next week. I can save a fair bit by buying 2 zips and the chips there.
Thanks folks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLJones View Post
Is it good and reasonably (given the price) reliable or not?
Yes, it is good. So far it has not exploded in my face. So it might be reliable. If it is like my other SanDisk MP3 players, it should be reliable.
Quote:
On Amazon almost half the reviews are 3 stars or less.
Amazon has lots of bad reviewers. Take the negative—and positive—reviews with a grain of salt.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator

It's fairly simple. Most people here have well tagged, properly encoded files and know how to update the firmware. If they don't and ask we're happy to show them how to get to that state. Good tags and updated firmware go a long way towards keeping a Clip Zip working properly.

The Clip Zip *seems* to be a bit more sensitive to tagging issues than the Clip+. It also took sandisk a few tries before they came up with a really stable firmware. sandisk players in general have a tough time with poor tags but in the early firmwares CZ *seemed* to be especially susceptible to tagging issues. I keep using the * quotes because that's what I'm gathering from what I've read. Of the 4 Clip Zips I deal with personally none have ever frozen or needed to be reset.

I've also seen several negative reviews that were caused by the player freezing. Most often the person assumed it was dead and shipped it back. I can't be sure but I believe the greatest majority of those cases could have been resolved by holding the power button for 30 seconds and shutting off the player.

The screen issues have been reported here a few times. One unfortunate person returned one and got another that developed a line down the center in the same way. That would seem to be a definite quality control issue that needed to be addressed. I haven't seen that reported recently. No way to know if the QC issues were addressed or if it's just that no one has reported screen issues here recently.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have both variants (clip+ and zip). Both come with their pros and cons.
The CZ has a screen, its colour and so can view album art properly. It also looks better for navigating menu's and the like (more info displayed). BUT the screen is piss poor in quality imo. Its so bad i'm like why even bother. Next to an ipod nano 6th gen it makes it look incredibly cheap (irony being the CZ is way better in terms of features, sq and storage capacity), whereas the clip+ at least looks like its not playing the same game.
The clip+ comes across as looking like a professional dedicated DAP (and indeed is), the CZ looks like its trying to play the aesthetics game and fails entirely. I genuinely get frustrated when i see the CZ as i think 'what could have been'.
Personally if they (sansa) were gonna put a screen on the clip range i woulda preferred a slightly larger higher res screen, capable of higher brightness levels, even if it meant rethinking the tactile control locations.
But i emphasis i am a little weird in this regards, for many (most) this is not as big a deal as it is for me.
The other negative strike against the CZ is i find the controls way more cramped, i prefer the physical navigation of the clip+ (albeit u see less on the screen).

I have often thought of which device to recommend to a new comer, and i can't honestly decide. I guess you'll be happier with the CZ, but if album art is not of interest for you then i would go the clip+ for better control layouts (not to mention that awesum green coloured variant :P

FYI i have also the fuzeV2 which i regard to being better than both variants (it gets the best of both worlds imo). And also i have never had any issues with sansa products, no buggyness, no crashing, no buttons breaking or headjacks, nuthing. They are incredible value for money.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I have both variants (clip+ and zip). Both come with their pros and cons.
The CZ has a screen, its colour and so can view album art properly. It also looks better for navigating menu's and the like (more info displayed).
The Clip+ also has a screen. The Clip Zip has less info displayed. The Clip Zip, unlike the Clip+, does not show the track number or the elapsed time of the track that is being played. Both problems, however, are cured with Rockbox.
Quote:
BUT the screen is piss poor in quality imo. Its so bad i'm like why even bother. Next to an ipod nano 6th gen it makes it look incredibly cheap (irony being the CZ is way better in terms of features, sq and storage capacity), whereas the clip+ at least looks like its not playing the same game.
If you are going to compare the Clip Zip’s display screen to an iPod, it should be to a similarly-priced iPod—the Shuffle.
Quote:
Personally if they (sansa) were gonna put a screen on the clip range i woulda preferred a slightly larger higher res screen, capable of higher brightness levels, even if it meant rethinking the tactile control locations.
SanDisk probably went with their design because they wanted to keep it inexpensive and small.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The Clip+ also has a screen. The Clip Zip has less info displayed. The Clip Zip, unlike the Clip+, does not show the track number or the elapsed time of the track that is being played. Both problems, however, are cured with Rockbox.
Yup i was talking from a RB perspective, should probably have mentioned that.

Quote:
If you are going to compare the Clip Zip’s display screen to an iPod, it should be to a similarly-priced iPod—the Shuffle.
Well yes and no, price wise sure, but on actual design/size its more obvious to me that they are similar and will be compared so.

Quote:
SanDisk probably went with their design because they wanted to keep it inexpensive and small.
Can't argue with that, I'm not sure sandisk have the balls to produce something snazzier, perhaps they feel safer (and more successful) in their budget price range.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've had zero issues with my Clip Zip. Then again, having prior experience with the other Sansa players, my files were all tagged in a manner that sits well with them. And of course, around about mid-November, I started using Rockbox...lol.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Dito, i have had no tagging issues, i use Tag&rename FWIW.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I've also seen several negative reviews that were caused by the player freezing. Most often the person assumed it was dead and shipped it back. I can't be sure but I believe the greatest majority of those cases could have been resolved by holding the power button for 30 seconds and shutting off the player.
I'm in 100% agreement with you here. When the player freezes up with the screen off, there is no power LED or anything to indicate it is still powered on, but simply 'playing possum'.

I'll bet there a good number of units that are returned as 'defective' but are perfectly fine; a refurber's dream. If people would only take a few minutes to read the manual, or even just look up 'reset' they'd save themselve a lot of time and aggravation!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1

Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM

I agree with all the positives and personally no negatives. For the price it's the best dam little player on the market when rockboxed. I started with the very first clip v1 and it's still running, added a second v1 & v2 to the collection. While I skipped buying the "plus" model, in Nov. 2011 I bought 2 zips and both are running fine, both rockboxed with 32GB cards, no issues to date. I did gift off one of the older clips and my friend tells me his is still running fine, he'll soon buy a zip and gift that one to his son. Again for the price nothing IMHO can touch it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 AM

WalkGood "both rockboxed with 32GB cards"

That is what I intend to to do. Since I listen to a lot of music with long titles such as "The Mysterious Echo Chamber Of Priapus Stratocaster" and "Stargazing Whilst Smoking An Imaginary Pipe (Pipedreams)" (both from the last Bill Nelson release), I will have to study up on the tagging issue. I use EAC/Lame. I am assuming that this can be configured approriately. I prefer flac but on this sort of thing, I am not sure that it is worth the trouble and space. Also, I am not too bothered about the artwork. As long as I can find what I want to listen to, it's good enough. I'll go with the Zip simply because it is the latest model and can be had for a very good price.

Just one other thing. I really appreciate this forum. It has been a great resource for me the last few years. I don't want "I" anything so I always do my research here. Thank you to you all for keeping up the resistance to Apple's world domination.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I prefer flac but on this sort of thing, I am not sure that it is worth the trouble and space.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68675.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I prefer flac but on this sort of thing, I am not sure that it is worth the trouble and space.
Another factor you'll want to consider if you go with any format other than mp3 or wma using the sandisk firmware will be battery life. The sandisk FLAC decoder isn't optimized for FLAC and will cut your battery life by ~50%.

It's not a hardware defect or the FLAC files themselves that's the issue. Rockbox will increase your battery life some using FLAC vs mp3.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
... It's not a hardware defect or the FLAC files themselves that's the issue. Rockbox will increase your battery life some using FLAC vs mp3.
True but still more respectable than the OF

*while I know you know, posted for the purpose of BLJones and others that might not know ... oh and to increase my post count

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Nobody has mentioned FM. I started with the M240, very good FM. The old clip had good FM, no drift but a little less sensitive than the M model. My clip+ has similar sensitivity to the clip, but FM does drift. Easy to fix with an up/down left or right button and seems to get better as unit warms up. However, it is a nuisance. Does the zip fix this. I use the device more for FM than music files with which I have no problem. Have no need for RB. Is an upgrade worthwhile.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
Nobody has mentioned FM. ...
I don't know if this has anything to do with your experience, get yourself headphones/IEMs with a really long cable as it's the antenna

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I too was happy with Sansa stock firmware, i RB out of curiosity, I far preferred the extra features rb came with, and you can still boot to original firmware, so its best of both worlds as far is i see it.
I guess i just love customization, its one reason I prefer Android to Apple.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Default FM on Clip zip

"Nobody has mentioned FM. "

In my case that's not an issue. I live in the Netherlands. This is the home of programs like "The Voice" "*** got Talent", "X Factor". (Look at the credits. You will probably see Endemol. That is a big Dutch tv producer that originated a lot of those shows.) The radio here sucks in the worst possible way. Especially is you like rock/metal. The airwaves here are dedicated to the worst possible dance and pop taste (no offense if you like that sort of music ). So chances are, I will never use the radio feature.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty