android
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Default Database Refresh And Playlist Management Questions

hey guys, i just found out about rockbox today and started to use it for my 8gb clip+ (v1) with a 32gb microSDHC card from ADATA, now i got a couple of questions:

- is there any way to get rid of the "refreshing your media" message while just charging up without any changes on the file structure? This issue is the reason i got to know rockbox as people said they used it and dont have the problem - i just didnt figure out yet what they did to do so

- i miss the feature "play all" while browsing my folders from the original firmware. in rockbox i can only find playlists but find them hard to manage when i just want to listen to all songs in my "#new" folder for example, where i put in all the new albums. I will invest some time later to get into the playlist features but is the "play all" option from the original firmware just not available in rockbox or can i enable it somewhere?

- on my windows 7 computer i manage a winamp playlist with around 1000 songs. those are songs from new albums which i run in a shuffle to listen to the "new stuff". as i am very low on time in the last months i had no chance to clear off that list, usually i remove songs from the playlists once i know them very good. Question: What is the bext way to get this big playlist to my player using rockbox?

Im sure i will get more questions but i will read more in the forum before posting when i got some more time, those two issues are just the most pressing ones as i am leaving for a 3 weeks vacation very soon and i hvae no time to do deeper investiagions now sorry for that and thanks for you help!!

Chris

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator

--Thread title changed. Please use descriptive titles in the future. "A Couple Of Questions" isn't searchable.--

Welcome to ABi.

There's a number of ways to get rid of the database refresh. The database refreshes when there in any change on either the internal or external memory. If you charge with a wall charger no data is changed so there's no database refresh. The same applies if your PC doesn't make any changes when it connects and reads the memories. How make sure that doesn't happen is specific to each system so that's something you would have to do. There's a few other ways that you'll come across if you search the forum.

The simplest way I know to play all your music is to add it to a playlist from the context menu.

Playlist Catalogue=>Create Playlist.

Save the created playlist. It should appear in the Playlist Catalogue under whatever name you saved to. Playing that playlist will play all your files.

There are other ways in both the File Browser and the Database. Inserting all the files from either of those menus into the current playlist will create a dynamic playlist that can be saved from the WPS context menu.

I don't know off hand how to transfer a playlist from Winamp. That playlist refers to the file paths as they exist on your PC. If you move that list to the player the file paths would be wrong. I suppose if you created the same folder structure on the player and correct the file paths to refer to that folder structure then save the playlist on the player that might work.

Last edited by skip252; 08-25-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:42 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Hmm i think I will switch back to the standard OS then and find a way to convert my Winamp playlists so it will somehow change the path and make it readable for the player.

The main reason was to get rid of the Refreshing Message now that i have 35gb of music managed in the player and it just takes too long. If this is not possible because rockbox has no official and safe USB mode yet then i guess theres no need for it.

I will have my "play all" button back and i dont really need all those themes and games etc. The only thing i like about the themes is that it gives you a numeric % value and/or remaining time of the battery life thats really cool! Theres no way to get this to the original firmware without 3rd party programs i assume?

Cheers
Chris

Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Administrator

As far as I know there isn't any other third party software for providing more information screens on the Clip+. The only way I know to access the battery level as a numeric value would be in the Info screen in the System Settings Settings menu. That won't give the expected remaining time but I've found the level itself to be accurate. With a little practice I found it's not hard to estimate your remaining time.

As much as I enjoy using Rockbox for the way it enhances things for me if it's features aren't worth the hassle I'd say dump it. The OF isn't perfect but to me it isn't bad. I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of Clip+ several months ago. One was Rockboxed, one never was. I miss the pan/balance and parametric equalizer features some when I'm listening to the non-Rockboxed one but once the music gets rolling and I'm out and about I tend to forget those aren't there fairly easily. The Clip+ is a very decent player either way.

If your Winamp playlist is a .m3u playlist Amok Playlist Copy may work for you. It needs a drive letter to work so the player has to be in MSC mode. It should transfer and the files needed to the player when setup properly. It's fairly non-intuitive and I've had other members report it didn't work but it does for me. I checked that a few weeks ago on both a Clip+ and a Fuze and it worked as expected.

If the playlist you are trying to move is a .pla playlist and the Clip+ is in MTP mode Winamp should transfer the playlist and the needed files when you sync the playlist. If Winamp is aware it sent the original file it shouldn't create duplicates. The .pla sync idea would only work in the OF. Rockbox doesn't use .pla lists.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 AM

Hey thanks for that, i removed tokbox now using the tool and i did a restore of my player and a new firmware upgrade of the original software.

now i boot up the player normally i get the message :

Loading Firmware
File Not Found

So i still need to hold the Home button + the on/off button to power it on with original firmware.

Any idea how i can fix that so it would start with the original firmware off the scratch?

Thanks a lot
Chris

Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Administrator

If you're seeing that message the Rockbox bootloader is still installed. Reinstalling the original firmware removes that. You need to boot to the OF after dropping in a copy of the Sandisk firmware. That's when the firmware update occurs that removes the Rockbox bootloader.

There's no need for any software. Just get a copy of the original firmware and unzip it to the root of the player. When you boot it again hold the home button and <<- on the d-pad.

When it boots you should see the the flower then the Updating Firmware message. After it shuts down and you reboot normally you shouldn't see anything else concerning Rockbox.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Hey now i used my player with standard settings and a found a tool to do my playlists. However if i just plug it in to my work PC and just play the music on it without copying stuff it would still do the refreshing media everytime i disconnect it.

I really need to get rid of it , any other ways maybe?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Administrator

None I've been able to find except over filling the memory and that requires Rockbox to work properly. The computer at work is is changing some data either on the card or main memory. That's what causes the DB refresh. If you can find a way to stop that you'll stop the refresh.

What "tool" did you find to do your playlists?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 PM

AmoK Playlist Copy!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:01 AM

hm so im afraid theres no way to get rid of that stupid message?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Administrator

I'm guessing you mean the "File Not Found" message. If you're seeing that message the Rockbox bootloader is still installed. The official Sandisk firmware doesn't produce that message because it doesn't look for anything Rockbox related during the boot sequence.

Have you followed the directions in #6 of this thread? Doing that removes the Rockbox bootloader that produces that message when it can't find the .rockbox folder.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM

No im talking about the database refresh message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

The same ways I mentioned before. Since Rockboxing it and filling the internal storage so much the database can't refresh doesn't work for you the only other way I know is to not change any data when it's connected.

You can using a wall charger or a modified cable that doesn't create a data connection. You don't have to use a modified cable if the PC doesn't modify any data during the connection. That doesn't do you any good if you actually add or remove files. The database needs to refresh then.

There's no other way anyone has discovered. You can shorten the refresh time by using database refresh friendly organization and tagging but once it starts the only way to access the player's functions is to allow it to finish.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 AM

alright thanks! i think it will help to get rid of all those tags

Tags
amok, remove rockbox, transfer winamp playlist