android
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Default Please enlighten me about some D3 annoyances

I had some spare time lately, so I dug somewhat deeper into the D3. Some of its flaws are truly aggravating, and I didn't find any fixes or workarounds, forum searches weren't overly helpful either.
  • The idiotic redundant "slide to unlock" screen: is there a way to disable it? The D3 has a hardware button for lock/hold, having an additional slider is just a further useless step.
  • Video screen contrast is broken, blacks are grey, colors are washed out. The screen is fine for everything else, just not for videos. I tried a few other video players, but either they're washed out too, or they stutter and are unusable.
  • Sleep mode: there is no sleep mode - it just turns the screen off and continues playing music, or drains the battery over night. Power off is not an option, since it takes ages to start up every time. Is there some real sleep mode (like on the J3/S9/C2), or is it plain broken?
  • Tactile buttons: any reason only the volume controls work when the screen is off, but not the Play/Pause and FFWD/REW buttons? I played around with the randomly spread and cryptic options in music and system settings, but couldn't find a fix for that bug.
  • Is it normal the D3 gets more than reasonably warm during operation, and really hot during charging?
  • Anyone knows of a pan/balance app/addon for Android? Not even Rockbox's integrated pan/balance works, unfortunately.
  • Is the main menu clock widget broken for everyone, or just for me? It always displays a wrong date below the huge clock numbers, even if the date is set correctly in the settings.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pretty obvious that this is a first attempt at an android device from Cowon. Everything you listed is the same on mine, except the clock widget. Mine works fine with the exception of having this month listed wrong.

The only thing that truly bothers me though is the lack of gapless in music playback. Hopefully they'll see your list and add/repair everything on it the next Android player they produce.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:17 AM

As for gapless playback, I already switched to Rockbox. Audio-wise, the D3 might be just the perfect player for me now - global BBE sound enhancements in all apps (including Rockbox), and the tweakability and features I have on my rockboxed Clip+ and X5.

If you want to have a try, updated Rockbox builds can be found here: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=27394.60

Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've had Rockbox on my D3 in the past, but prefer to judge a device for music using the music app that came with it. Nice that alternatives are available, but shouldn't be needed give this is a "Cowon" player. If I were using an alternative it'd be the Google Music beta app, but the 2.3 update "broke" it. Thanks Cowon (not!).

Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Default Same here and more . . .

Olley,

I've got the same annoyance plus I discovered that I can't set a proxy for the Wi-Fi (not sure if that is an Android limitation or Cowon), plus I had read a review that said the Android marketplace was not enabled by default but what it didn't mention is the ungodly hack that is needed to make it work (and must be repeated after every firmware upgrade). Then I found that the reason it isn't enabled is that the chipset is non-standard so many apps won't work anyway. But they could have at least installed a basic markeptplace for apps that do work!

I honestly don't know why Cowon made an Android device if they weren't going to provide some of the basic features of the platform. I'm looking into sending mine back. Very disappointed.