android
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Default i9 will not turn on

Hi,

I just got my Cowon i9 in the mail today. I bought it off of ebay in "used but good, working condition".

Sure enough it connects fine to my PC and responds well enough while it's connected. Transferring songs and files was not much of a problem. However, whenever I tried to disconnect it and try powering it up it becomes completely unresponsive.

I tried holding done the switch for a long time, short time, flicking, pressing mroe buttons, but nothing seems to be working.

Is there anything else I can do? It doesnt seem to be broken as the screen lights up whenever I plug it in, but only when I try to turn it on...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Btw, this maybe a bit much, but if someone could upload a screen cap of what the root folder of the i9 should look like I would very much appreciate it. The guy who had it before didnt format it and used it as a mass USB so I'm not 100% sure which files are his and which are the original.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:28 AM

Not sure why you want a screen capture because when you format the i9 it fully rebuilds its database after disconnect but formatting it at this stage would not help you. If it is unresponsive, most likely the battery needs to be replaced, which is not an easy task to do on the i9. You can contact Cowon to inquire how much it costs but if the seller will refund your money, I’d go that route to save the time, cost and aggravation.

BTW reset on i9 is not accomplished by holding down the switch, it's a little hole located next to the USB/EXT port under the black plastic flap on the bottom (next to hp jack).

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM

Hi !
Here's a link to an iaudiophile forum that explains how to unbrick a S9 player. It works for the i9 as well – I've done it once.
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37160

You'll have to use a small tool called tcctool, which allows a fresh firmware to be installed in a bricked player. It works wonders, I've used it with 3 different players (i7, i9 and an old iRiver thing) and it brought them back to life.

I do not guarantee your player will fire up, but amongst any software trick you might try I'd say tcctool is the most likely to work.
If your i9 is only bricked (as opposed to physically broken) then you've got a decent chance.

Good luck!

EDIT - more details in this ABI thread :
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56706

Old 08-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardin View Post
Here's a link to an iaudiophile forum that explains how to unbrick a S9 player. It works for the i9 as well – I've done it once.
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37160 ...
I would agree that tcctool is a great tool but correct me if I'm wrong, if the player connects fine to his PC and responds well as he stated in post #1, I doubt that the player is bricked. It's most likely a battery issue IMO, I've had the same issue with a different player. If I'm right, the only way to fix it is to replace the battery. To test my theory, try powering it via a USB AC wall adapter and it should play music fine, thus my statement it's a battery issue.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc