android
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Default Computer recognizes Fuze, but does not see music

I think my Fuze is going out. I've used it heavily for 2 years now and bought it used then. Yesterday it started having weird screen issues.

I have some music on it I would like to retrieve. While my computer recognizes the Fuze like it always does, there is nothing on the Fuze when viewing it on the computer. However, using the Fuze by itself all my music is there.

I have gone through 3 computers since and none of them see the music on the player.

I've rebooted it 5 times to no avail.

Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I have had a Sansa player change USB modes on it's own using Autodetect. I would check in the Settings menu and whatever mode it's in switch to the other. If that's what's the problem you would see the music on the PC again. If that works pick a USB mode and stick with it. Autodetect is one of those things that just doesn't work well too many times.

If you are able to recover your music that way I'd be sure from now on to make a backup of anything you put on any portable device. Actually it's a good idea to have a backup of all your music. I've had failures of hard drives that gave no warning and was able to recover 100% because everything was backed up. Storage is too cheap now to have to repurchase my music due to something bad happening to the one place I have it stored.

If you get your music back or not you may be able to straighten up the other problems by checking the disc for errors, formatting if needed and reinstalling the firmware. There may be hardware issues those steps won't fix but doing that has most often fixed any strange behavior on my DAPs.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks, it worked backwards for me by changing the mode from whatever it was on to Auto Detect.

All of my music is backed up in 4 different places -- 2 computers and 2 terabyte drives -- aside from 6 songs. And I really wanted to keep those 6.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Nice to hear things all worked out. I'll bet you have backups of those 6 songs now! I like your backup idea. I've found multiple backups are safest. Especially if you can have at least one of them off site.

What I said about picking a mode and sticking with it still holds though. Autodefect has caused dozens of post here due to it changing without notice. I would change the mode to MTP and see if your music still show up. Since Autodetect defaults to MTP that's seems the most likely setting. If they do I would leave it there. Same for MSC. If that's the mode where the files appear I'd leave it on that.

If Autodetect changes modes again and you transfer files in that mode you won't be able to access them later without switching modes again. Picking one and locking it in would prevent any possible future inconvenience due to that.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 PM

I think it was in MSC mode.

I went out and bought a 32gb micro SD Thursday, so that's my 5th location now, but I am going to use the card for everyday use. It was a lot to move. It's almost full. I'll probably go back at some point and delete everything stored internally on the Sansa since it's all dupes now.

If the Sansa does die on me, I'll pop the SD card in my tablet and listen from it.

And, yes, I grabbed my 6 songs first. Then the podcasts I hadn't listened to yet.