android
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Default thinking about RockBox - A revert is possible?

I purchase my SanDisk Sansa Fuze some days ago. I use to play music with a Sony DAP (which, as quality, is very stronger).

Unufortunatly, on Fuze, I can't compare the sound quality (its so bad imo than Sony player), but someone tell me that, installing RockBox, the quality of audio (as for the EQ presets) could better.

So, what I'd like to know is :

1 - is it totally supported RockBox for SanDisk Sansa Fuze?
2 - if I put it, can I remove in the future and come back to the original software player?

Just to know... Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Administrator

1. Status page for the Sansa AMS V2 port is here. The Fuze is part of that group. The manual for more information is here.
  2. Yes.
Once again all of this has been discussed extensively here. Please use the search functions to help yourself.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 AM

djfonplaz it's the same page that skip has linked but you need the Rockbox Version for a v1 Fuze.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Yeah, but in fact I opened this topic also to get suggestions about sound quality Tonight I'll try to install it

Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
djfonplaz for your Fuze you have to look for information for AMS v1 since you have a v1 Fuze.
Yeah. But I think I'll use the RockBox Utility, which should be the same for every model/version, right? Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfonplaz View Post
Yeah. But I think I'll use the RockBox Utility, which should be the same for every model/version, right? Thanks for the advice!
Correct.

Once you choose the right player it will install the corresponding FW.

The Rockbox EQ is very good and gives the RB version the sonic edge over the OF IMHO. Overall RB is much nicer and provides you with a lot of additional options. I didn't like my Fuze before I installed RB...

Last edited by razorblader; 09-19-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Only so there's no possibility of misunderstanding. Installing Rockbox will not change the base sound quality of your Fuze. It will extend your options in adjusting the sound but the base sound quality will remain the same. Rockbox is not a magic cure all for any SQ issues you may be having.

If you read the known issues on the AMS port page I linked to you'll see that you lose significant battery life on the V1 Fuze. Check the SansaRuntime page for more information on that.

For legal reasons the Rockbox Utility does not download the firmware. It has directions on how you can do that.

I'll be honest with you. Considering you haven't shown any inclination to look for answers yourself, installing Rockbox is probably a really bad idea in your case. Rockbox is straightforward but it is not intuitive. Until you read the manual at least through The Main Menu, the links I've provided and make sure you understand them I would hold off.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I'll be honest with you. Considering you haven't shown any inclination to look for answers yourself, installing Rockbox is probably a really bad idea in your case. Rockbox is straightforward but it is not intuitive. Until you read the manual at least through The Main Menu, the links I've provided and make sure you understand them I would hold off.
I see what you say, but to be honest I've already read the documentation about RockBox, and I think will not so difficult to install it (or, at least, I'll try).

I know the sound quality won't better, but I hope in some decent EQ present (also on Sony, without some preset, I don't like at all the quality).

So that's a hope! Don't be so negative man

Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Administrator

I'm not being negative. Your title to this thread indicates that you have not read the Rockbox documentation. You most certainly haven't searched any of the information available on this site. If you did you wouldn't have had to ask if Rockbox is supported on the Fuze. Or have you forgotten this all ready? http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...5&postcount=11

The V1 Fuze port has been stable for a long time. There's no way you would have missed that if you had done the most basic search or had even gone to the front page of the Rockbox site. How to uninstall Rockbox is posted multiple places here and is also part of the manual. I can't understand how you managed to miss that in your reading.

I have seen what happens when someone install Rockbox and isn't willing to do the essential reading. Things can get ugly in a hurry. I believe that's what you're setting yourself up to experience unless you really read and understand the information that's readily available before you do your installation.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Sorry...

Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I don't mean to seem to be trying to beat you but you really will help yourself most by reading up on things yourself. Then you can ask focused questions.

Generalized "Is it possible to...?" questions that show you haven't read or at least tried to find the answer on you own tend to get ignored, get generalized answers or you get told to RTFM.

A question that read like, "I have read on the AMS status page the battery life is shorter on the V1 Fuze. None of the results on the Runtime page are recent. Does anyone know if there's been an improvement?" might actually cause someone to be curious enough to run a battery bench and post the results. "How's the battery life on a V1 Fuze with Rockbox?" would probably get you a link to the Sansa Runtime page at best.

Help the members here help you by asking questions a simple search won't answer. You'll be surprised how much you'll learn in your searches and how well the members react when you do ask a question. If the answer is a link, check the link. You may find the answer there or what you find there may actually trigger more questions.

The quality of help you get really depends on the quality of question you ask. It also helps you build your reputation with the members here. There's certain members that ask a question and everybody stops and reads it.

Those members have established that if they are asking a question they have looked hard and just can't find an answer. People like to join in on items that aren't ordinary.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM

If you've read the manual but you've still got questions on your mind, then what's the point of reading the manual over and over again right? Start a topic, or pm someone about it.

That's what Skip's trying to say. Don't feel discouraged about starting new topics to ask questions though. Read the manual first and try to be very specific with your question. Help yourself first, and then the others will help you.

:P

Old 09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Very close but not quite, koolkat. If you've been reading your questions tend to reflect that. As I pointed out asking if there's a stable V1 Fuze port or if it's possible to uninstall back to the OF shows no reading or comprehension, one or the other. Either way that's not a good sign if you're thinking about Rockbox.

But you're dead on when you say not to get discouraged and ask specific questions. Members here have worked for days to help someone get up to speed not just on Rockbox but all types of hardware, software, audio and video questions.

The only requirement was that the person that wanted the help was willing to help themselves by doing the basics. That's all that I'm pointing out here.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:15 PM

I ask sorry to anyone! Wasn't my intention be boring! Anyway, installed and tested RockBow : it works like a charm! Changed the value of treble/bass, and I've got the Sony quality (more or less), without any kind of EQ settings That's what I needed!

Now I've only to understand some things about RockBox (like how to play all tracks in random mode on my pc, or how to add songs to playlist, but these infos should be avaiable here with an easy search)! It looks very nice, awesome project! Thanks again to everybody, and sorry again skip252 for waste your time!