android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM

Default Windows Phone Mango has officially now started rollout!

Microsoft today have just updated their "Where's my Update" page - yes that's right, the now infamous one from the earlier NoDo fiasco!

This time round though - MS have scored a Home Run / Tocuhdown / Kicked a goal / put the puk into the net / nailed an air shot (or whatever your sporting analogy might be) - and ensured that nearly all the carriers around the world have pre-approved the update.

Now, all markets should see the update within 10 days (Sprint have pre-approved even if the update doesnt suggest this I am led to believe).

More info: the official MS page: http://mango.microsoft.com/windowsph...edule-usa.aspx

Looking good MS!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, so it's approved for release - but 10 days from now, correct? If I hadn't gotten that Dell Venue Pro I'd probably have another WP7 phone,...and would never have returned it.

Oh well, congrats nonetheless - enjoy ppl!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Oh yeah! I am updating it now. I heard it will take 30 to 60 minutes to update and it will update a premango version first. After that you find another update, thats Mango. Oh, you can force mango updates like you could force NoDo, I did it the same way ;D.
http://www.wp7connect.com/2011/03/31...e-nodo-update/

Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Dell Venue Pro might not even get the update!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Just finished updating my Samsung Focus (pushed via ATT to Australia!) with Mango 7.5. Post coming - however this new improved update process ROCKS!

All data and Apps are finally retained (no need to reinstall everything) !!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
Just finished updating my Samsung Focus (pushed via ATT to Australia!) with Mango 7.5. Post coming - however this new improved update process ROCKS!

All data and Apps are finally retained (no need to reinstall everything) !!!!
Does the web browser now auto-size the paragraphs when you pinch to zoom? Like Android's web browser?

When I pinch to zoom on my Moto Atrix it adjusts the paragraph so I don't need to go side-to-side to read it.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Yes. What you need to do is move your handset to Landscape or Portrait as you want to read, pinch to zoom to aroudn the required font size for reading....then (the important bit) double-tap the screen to then snap to screen the closest matching paragraph view (resizes the whole document or website) to the font size you zoomed too.

I think that is what you meant?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is the browser the same w/pinch to zoom as it was before? If you say yes then I'll know the answer. If I need to pinch to zoom, then double tap to get the paragraph back in full view the answer is "no".

I already know that the device gives a better view in landscape mode, and I know that you can enlarge the paragraph. I need to know if the columns of the paragraphs auto-align if you zoom in closer. This way the page scrolls straight up & down, and the fonts stay HUGE!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 PM

This makes me want to go get my free windows phone today instead of waiting for the Titan. Someone convince me to continue waiting. I only buy a new phone every two years at most so if I get the free one now I wont get to upgrade for a long while.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM

can some one explain to me how this update works. I updated to something today but how do i know if it is a premango state or actually mango i have the HD7 on tmobile and it says the current version is 7.10.7720.68 (a side note i did have a beta version before the official mango update came out.)

Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 AM

7720.68 is the FINAL Mango official release, that has come via your handset manufacturer (OEM) with all their specific firmware for your device.

You are on the latest, greatest Mobile Smartphone OS there is in the market today !!!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 AM

Well that good except its still having the same problems the beta came with -_-. The live tiles dont work for me the chat function always says can't connect. And i cannot chose my own ringtone. Should revert to the nodo update and try going up there. I think going from beta release to official caused this.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post

You are on the latest, greatest Mobile Smartphone OS there is in the market today !!!
Maybe the greatest OS for WIndows7, but if you are not referring to it this way, then this is an exaggeration and also is opinionated. The greatest Smartphone OS is the one that works best for the consumer, wheather it's RIM, Symbian, IOS, Android, or Windows7.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^What he said^

Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 AM

All words written by me may in actual fact, at times, stray from fact to opinion - or even be viewed as less than fact but more than fiction being purely subjective....and if forced to be objective about my last post.

Hope this clears things up :P

Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Can anyone help me?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

About your ringtones: Did you set them as ringtone in Zune? Otherwise it cant connect.
Can't connect to WLM and FB chat? I couldnt connect to facebook chat, but this helped.
I dunno about the live tiles though. My "Zune" tile wasn't a live one until I started a song.

I got a question myself aswell, where do you set the autocorrect on? I have disabled it, since no Dutch dictionary was supported pre-Mango, but now it does and I cant find it anymore. Same goes for the "space after accepting suggested word". I disabled that too, so I could use English words they suggested to me and change them so it would be Dutch. But same story, I have a Dutch dictionary now and I'd like to have that again. Does anyone know how to change this? I probably just overlooked it on my phone, tens of times... :P

Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM

I didnt know u had to pick the ringtones on zune ill try it when i get home. I will also relink my facebook and such to the phone (i hadent thought of that). And for live tiles only the defualt ones work which is weird makea me mad because that was the feature i was looking foward to the most.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM

As far as ringtones goes....

The song must be an EDITED clip of your desired song.

- MP3 or WMV format.
- 1MB maximum file size.

- <30 seconds in length (they say 40 sec, but some seem to have issues near 40).

You need to edit it, save it then add the short MP3 back into your music collection. Once this is done, open your Zune Client and right click on the short song.
Then you change the song category to "Ringtone".

MS link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...ringtones.aspx

Hope that helps. Expect 3rd party Apps coming to the marketplace with Mango that will do this for you and save having to use something like Audacity to do this yourself.