android
Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Default Zen Vision W and firmware updates

I'm fairly sure this has been well covered, but has anyone found a way to get their ZV:W firmware updated on a machine running Windows 7 or Windows XP SP3?

My Win 7 and WinXP laptops both see my ZV:W just fine, but I can't update firmware -- both say a supported device is not connected. The ZV:W currently has 1.40.03 on it.

I can build another WinXP machine if I have to -- and I understand that the magic combination is WinXP+SP2+WMP11. I can not find my original installation CDs, and the downloaded versions are not working for me.

Any other tricks before I just move on?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitania View Post
I'm fairly sure this has been well covered, but has anyone found a way to get their ZV:W firmware updated on a machine running Windows 7 or Windows XP SP3?

My Win 7 and WinXP laptops both see my ZV:W just fine, but I can't update firmware -- both say a supported device is not connected. The ZV:W currently has 1.40.03 on it.

I can build another WinXP machine if I have to -- and I understand that the magic combination is WinXP+SP2+WMP11. I can not find my original installation CDs, and the downloaded versions are not working for me.

Any other tricks before I just move on?

Thanks.
I have upgraded the firmware on more than 50 Creative Zen Visions using both Win 7 & XP with no problem. If your cpu does not see the Vision W I hate to tell you this but you may have a hard drive or motherboard problem. The later being the most likely.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 PM

I was finally able to update the firmware on my device. Found that I had a completely seperate problem... that I thought I had a ZV:W when I actually had a ZV!

Once I tried the correct firmware, it worked immediately. I feel like an idiot. :-/

On a related note, I did buy a ZV:W because I had bought a hard drive upgrade that was not compatible with the ZV. Found one on eBay that was 'status unknown' and took a chance on it. Charged it up and it seems to work fine. I will have to replace the battery because it has outgassed and expanded, but for now it's working fine with the AC adapter alone. I did my HDD upgrade (using a Toshiba MK1231GAL -- 120MB 5mm thick drive) and it seems to work. The first time I tried to load the firmware I got a message that it failed. The second time I tried I also got a message that it failed, and I rebooted the ZV:W and got a 'firmware problem' error. Tried a third time... and got called away for a while. Message on my PC said the firmware load failed, but the ZV:W was up and running just fine. I think it was because the drive format hadn't completed even though the recovery menu returned from the format almost immediately... only thing I can figure. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens and I'll report back after a few weeks with it.