android
Old 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM

Unhappy Galaxy Player 4.0 Crashes-7 hours old!

Hi,

Just bought a Galaxy Player 4.0 today at Fry's. Turned it on when I got home, and a black screen popped up with several options, one being reboot, which I did somehow.

Got WIFI connected, Internet works, but it keeps rebooting. Has done so about 15 times.

One time, I tried talking into that Google Microphone on the desktop. Did it 3 or 4 times in a row, and boom, it crashed.

I simply cannot get the Marketplace app to connect, though Internet is working.

I just reset it to factory condition, and trying to get signed in to add Google account, but no go, however, Internet is working otherwise.

Any ideas about this always crashing? When my wife got home, I grabbed it to show here, and got a black screen and it rebooted itself for no apparent reason.

Thanks,
Cogito

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 AM

Default Interestingly, Samsung Support does not know what this is

I really want this thing to work. The extra 1/2 inch over the iPod is very helpful, plus the additional features would make this a winner.

But I just called Samsung support, and they never heard of it. I told him that they were supposed to be released for sale tomorrow, from what I have read, but I got it today at Fry's and both the 4.0 and 5.0 were advertised in their Friday ad.

IMHO, though, they should have "provisioned" their support to be available the first moment these were released.

He will call me back in a bit. Will let you know what I find out.

So far, very disappointed though.

Regards,
Cogito

Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Just a thought, but is there a possible update through Kies?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 AM

yeah, does it have gingerbread already?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM

another thing you must try is a factory reset. It wipes the /cache and /data partitions. There are very few problems like this that are not solved by a factory reset.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Yes, tried that. Under Settings/Privacy, I hit Factory Data Reset. No improvement.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 AM

i have a solution (maybe 2) if you bought it from an store like amazon or bestbuy you can return or exchange it or you can wait for a firmware leak to reflash it

Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitovici View Post
Yes, tried that. Under Settings/Privacy, I hit Factory Data Reset. No improvement.
Well I'm very sorry to hear that.
In that case, I would recommend returning it, as I don't know when a recovery can be ported or a factory image will be leaked/made.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not a single crash with mine so far. Sounds like you may have a defective one.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Yes, mine just sits on the desk and reboots. Must have a bigger problem. Will take it back tomorrow or Tuesday and try another.

Thanks to everybody for their thoughts.

Cogito

Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

One thing mine does on boot-up is check for new media.It'll update the media database(s) if it finds any. Wondering if either your database file is corrupt or there is a bad file it chokes on when scanning. Did it start doing this after being unplugged from your PC, or was it doing it right out of the box?

Any chance your PC is a MAC?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 AM

It started right out of the box. I only hooked it up to the PC once, and all that shows up is for it to be used as another disk. No software interface like one would get with an iPod or cell phone.

Using WinXP Pro.

Thanks,
Cogito

Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It started right out of the box. I only hooked it up to the PC once, and all that shows up is for it to be used as another disk. No software interface like one would get with an iPod or cell phone.

Using WinXP Pro.

Thanks,
Cogito

Take the battery out let it sit a while, replace the battery, and try a fresh reboot. This fixed a friend of mine's Android phone that was acting similarly to your SS.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM

Well, I decided to just return it. A couple months ago, I bought both an Acer Iconia and a Dell Streak when Staples had a $100.00 off sale.

All three experienced severe crashes and reboots. This Samsung player could sit on the desk for 5 minutes untouched and reboot twice.

I reset it to factory config and entered my Google ID and went to enter PW into WiFi and it crashed. Looked at MAPS and poked around for 2 minutes and it crashed, looked at 5 or 6 videos on YouTube and it would crash. Now, I do suspect that this was defective, but my experience with the other two tabs I have used in the past 90 days were not much different, though each had its own unique shortcomings as well. With the Acer, I could not/did not take time to figure out how to get out of lower case alpha and move to SHIFT numerics, like &, *, !, $ so add those to a password.

The Dell was the coolest, and my wife laments encouraging me to return it, as it was the most stable of the three.

Though I have not owned many Apple products, the most flawless in the last 90 days was an iPod Touch 4g. It was beautiful, sexy, great finish, wonderful interface with iTunes, and just worked flawlessly (except for troubles getting on WiFi that I attribute to my router. It worked just about perfectly, but was rather expensive, and has an almost too small screen. I am somewhat tempted to buy another though. However, the extra features on the Samsung unit made it the more obvious choice, but as I said before, my experience with Android devices, now 3 different form factors and manufacturers left me feeling they are not ready for prime time.

Had I recorded videos of any of the three, you would never plunk you money down for any. I kept imagining my PC rebooting after reading 2-3 e-mails, or looking at more than 5 websites. That would not be acceptable, and should not be accepted with these Android devices. I am not alone in my opinion, as other reviews I have read indicated that frequent crashes and other problems are par for the course with these.

If you do not experience problems, I envy you. I will probably try another in a few months or so, hoping to see some improvement.

Thank you for all your suggestions, but I bow out of Android ownership for now.

Regards,
Cogito

Last edited by cogitovici; 10-18-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typos

Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 PM

Interesting, I have a Xoom Tablet and a HTC Desire smartphone, both have quirks. The Xoom force closes occasionally kicking back to the home screen from Google and Youtube when navigating between sites. The Desire sometimes changes settings on its own. Neither is a big problem but my 2007 Iphone which I use as a MP3 player just keeps rolling along without any problems at all.

I was thinking about getting the Samsung Player but will probably go with the Ipod Touch 4 g as it allows IOS 5. Android was a nice change for a while but Its back to Apple not so much because Android devices have problems but the IOS interface is smoother at least at this point in time.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 AM

Wow, I don't understand how you guys have had so many problems. Myself, and it seems most people on this forum, are very happy with their purchase. Mine has never crashed or rebooted on me and never changed the settings. Everything just works very smoothly.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 AM

No exaggeration at this end. When I get a few moments, I will add a couple URLs.

I just happen to remember bookmarking this one. The "Verdict" was particularly damning. If I misread or should not trust this one of many similar reviews, please let me know where we have gone wrong.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/52...ayer-50-review

I do find your comment rather unenlightening and a bit pedestrian. It's like the IT staffer who comes to help you with your computer and says "it works for me." Anyone in a corporate environment must have run across that one from time to time. As a very experienced end user of many years, I try desperately not to utter those words when trying to resolve an issue.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlofty View Post
Wow, I don't understand how you guys have had so many problems. Myself, and it seems most people on this forum, are very happy with their purchase. Mine has never crashed or rebooted on me and never changed the settings. Everything just works very smoothly.
I'm just relating my personal experience with the various devices. I know the Apple support community is full of posts by people who encounter problems with their I-devices.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
No exaggeration at this end. When I get a few moments, I will add a couple URLs.

I just happen to remember bookmarking this one. The "Verdict" was particularly damning. If I misread or should not trust this one of many similar reviews, please let me know where we have gone wrong.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/52...ayer-50-review

I do find your comment rather unenlightening and a bit pedestrian. It's like the IT staffer who comes to help you with your computer and says "it works for me." Anyone in a corporate environment must have run across that one from time to time. As a very experienced end user of many years, I try desperately not to utter those words when trying to resolve an issue.

Hope this helps.
The link you posted is for the galaxy player 50 - samsung's first attempt at the galaxy player line. The current products are the galaxy player 4 and 5, and spec wise, are infinitely more capable than the previous model.

No one's going to deny that the player 50 was a dreadful device, it just was.

Edit: Also, my experience with buying from Fry's has been that they try to sell refurbished, or even defective devices that were returned to them as new. I would suggest you start buying your electronics elsewhere.... once I can attribute to bad luck, but with three devices? I think there's something fishy going on there.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Right, I'm not trying to deny your experience or anything, I just find it hard to believe that you just happened to get 3 devices, all defective, even tho they are from three different brands, and the fault is Android. Android didn't grow to be the most popular mobile OS by crashing every three seconds on a majority of it's devices. And Dell, Acer and Samsung didn't grow to be some of the biggest tech companies by having all their products be defective.
I'm not like the IT staffer in that I didn't come to try to help, I just came to express shock that you got three defective Android devices.
@Sarracen, he bought two of the devices from Staples, only this last one from Fry's.