android
Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 AM

Default Loaded New Songs, RB Not Detecting Them

As the title suggests. I started the player in the OF, loaded the songs. After it updated the media, I shut the player off. Started it back up in RockBox. Did the database, initialize thing, and the new songs I loaded still don't show up. I don't have a micro sd, it's all on the player. What am I doing wrong? I know I'm gonna feel like an idiot when I find out. BTW, I also tried the update now feature, it was a no go as well.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-16-2011, 02:43 AM

I tried reloading all the songs again. Tried initializing again, to the same problem. They don't show up. Frustrating.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Administrator

You're saying they don't show in either the database or the file browser? If it's just the database I'd delete all the database.tcd files then reinitialize. Go into the Debug menu and enable metadata logging before you reinitialize. That way if it's hanging on a particular file you can identify it and pull it. If it is a particular file I'd save it. The Rockbox devs may want you to upload it somewhere so they can look at it.

I'd do the usual troubleshooting steps. Use either the Windows facility or chkdsk to check the file system for problems, update to a current build if you are on a old one, fall back to the release build if you're on the current build. If it's reproducible on either a current build or the release I'd file a bug report.

If they're not showing in the file browser either then I'm stumped. Even when the database has been completely screwed the file browser has seen all the files in the player.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Also, are you loading the songs in (the SanDisk firmware's) MSC mode only? That's a must for Rockbox to use them.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You're saying they don't show in either the database or the file browser? If it's just the database I'd delete all the database.tcd files then reinitialize. Go into the Debug menu and enable metadata logging before you reinitialize. That way if it's hanging on a particular file you can identify it and pull it. If it is a particular file I'd save it. The Rockbox devs may want you to upload it somewhere so they can look at it.

I'd do the usual troubleshooting steps. Use either the Windows facility or chkdsk to check the file system for problems, update to a current build if you are on a old one, fall back to the release build if you're on the current build. If it's reproducible on either a current build or the release I'd file a bug report.

If they're not showing in the file browser either then I'm stumped. Even when the database has been completely screwed the file browser has seen all the files in the player.
It's been months since I've even messed with RB. How do I delete the database.tcd files? When I load the files onto the player, in MSC mode, and unhook the player from the USB, it refreshes the media, and the songs do show up on the OF. When I shut down the player, and boot it up in RB, they don't show up, no matter what I do. An interesting side note. I deleted all my music files from the player, and reinstalled just 3 songs. They showed up on RB. Then I reinstalled all my "rock" songs. The ones that were on there previously showed up, but not the new ones. I've had the other ones on the player before, with no problems. Strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Also, are you loading the songs in (the SanDisk firmware's) MSC mode only? That's a must for Rockbox to use them.
Yes.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

The the database.tcd files are inside the .rockbox folder. Make sure your file view is set to "All" and you can use the context menu to delete them.

Which build do you have installed? Updating to the current build has solved problems like this for me in the past. Are the files only missing in the database? They can't be seen in the file browser? Have you done the other troubleshooting steps?

Lots of question for sure but I'd update the build first and see if that helps.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The initialize database option will delete the tcd files for you, so no need to do it manually.

Quote:
When I load the files onto the player, in MSC mode, and unhook the player from the USB, it refreshes the media, and the songs do show up on the OF. When I shut down the player, and boot it up in RB, they don't show up, no matter what I do.
So when you browse to the folder where you put them, what do you see? An empty folder? A blank file system?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been so busy lately, I haven't had much time for anything. (Haven't had much chance to even be on the forum anymore) I used to know a bit about RB, but it's been months since I've messed with it, and forgot about everything I knew about it. I uninstalled it for now. When I get more time, I'll install it back again, to see what it does. Funny how much I forgot. I couldn't even remember how to install themes, fonts, nothing anymore. For some reason, RB Utility wasn't even detecting my player. I'll mess with it later. Thanks again.

BTW, I had an ancient build in there. Have had the same one in since install. But it always worked good before, so I never felt a need to change it.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:44 PM

Okay, got some spare time tonight. I deleted the old RB, and reinstalled the latest. Loaded some themes, and fonts. Loaded my songs, initialized, no problems. All is well in UV land. I even remembered to save my config.cfg file before deleting the old RB.

I tried using the stock player again. Screw that. Hard to go back after using ROCKbox.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
I tried using the stock player again. Screw that. Hard to go back after using ROCKbox.
I guess going back is possible but but sure as hell wouldn't be any fun. A part of me would always be frustrated by knowing it's possible to to do something or view some bit of information and not being able due to the limits of the OF. I can live with that on a DAP that doesn't have a port. You can't miss what you never had. But when I've had it on one I'll do what's needed to get it up and going again.

Glad to hear things are working again. Guess it's like riding a bike. You don't really forget, it comes back again when you give it a try.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM

You simply can't get the sound out of the OF, as you can with ROCKbox, plain and simple. I listened to it for about 10 minutes with the OF. Couldn't stand it.

Exactly right, once I got the latest RB installed, it all came back to me about how to install fonts, themes etc.

Thanks again for the help gents, much appreciated.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks ppl new here and i have the same problem in rockbox my zip..
Search does worK

Tks

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM

If you are still loading songs in OF, you may want to update to a halfway recent RB build (maybe one of dfkt's). Also be sure to run a database update manually if needed. Have you had the filesystem checked?