android
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 AM

Default Visibility of Bluetooth?

I'm having issues with the bluetooth visibility function. It remains visible only for a few seconds, i think like 150. Any idea how to correct this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Set the visibility timeout to a higher number or to always on. I'm pretty sure that's an option. Having it stay visible increases battery drain, by the way.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 PM

For most of the things you would pair the SGP with (BT headphones, BT speaker/hands free devices) you shouldn't even need to set it to visible at all. As long as IT can see what you are trying to pair it with, that should be all you need.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Speaking of bluetooth, is it possible to upgade my SGP 4.0 with bluetooth 3.0 to bluetooth 4.0?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Set the visibility timeout to a higher number or to always on. I'm pretty sure that's an option. Having it stay visible increases battery drain, by the way.
i don't see any option of setting the visibility timeout to a higher number. please guide.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
i don't see any option of setting the visibility timeout to a higher number. please guide.
You are correct, there is no way to do that (that was incorrect information from the second poster). Perhaps if you could describe why you need a longer visibility setting someone could help you with an alternative approach. Again, Bluetooth visibility should not be needed longer than the time it takes to initially pair your device, so the restricted timeout of the visibility function should not practically hinder anything you normally might do with bluetooth.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Actually...

As a matter of fact, I was not wrong. Attached is an image of the bluetooth settings. You'll notice that the last setting can be set to 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 hour, or never. Setting it to never makes it constantly visible.

You get to this menu by going to Settings >> Wireless and network >> Bluetooth settings.

p.s. sorry I didn't respond earlier, didn't see the new post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC20120902-085752.jpg (22.7 KB, 5 views)

Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 AM

I don't see the visible time-out option in my device.

Sometimes I have to copy files through bluetooth from my laptop but the file transfer stops in between because the device is not visible. SO, any alternate option, please?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok it must be because I'm using a custom ROM that is 2.3.6 rather than the stock 2.3.5.

Visibility shouldn't matter. Once it is paired to your computer it shouldn't need to be visible.

If you really need the BT to be visible longer, this is the rom I'm using

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465144

Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Ok it must be because I'm using a custom ROM that is 2.3.6 rather than the stock 2.3.5.

Visibility shouldn't matter. Once it is paired to your computer it shouldn't need to be visible.

If you really need the BT to be visible longer, this is the rom I'm using

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465144

+1 Visibility (Discovery on many devices) is only for a first pairing, once there linked visibility isn't needed, INFACT IT IS DANGEROUS to leave your visibility on because it will allow virtually any other bluetooth device nearby access to your device, including potential hackers if in a public place.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Maybe someone could clarify this thread for me?

Shortly after getting my SGP5 a year or so ago I bought two different Bluetooth "Headsets". These are not what I would call headsets, they are the small rectangular box's you see folks walking around with stuck in their ears talking to people (usually very loudly). After unsuccessfully attempting to pair them with my SGP5 (they paired fine with my cell phones) I found out that the SGP5 is only compatible with the A2DP Profile which is from what I understand used for the stereo music headsets. The two Bluetooth devices I bought are Headset Profile 1.1 (HSP) and Hands Free Profile 1.5 (HFP).

So in regards to this thread, are you talking about the SGP5 and are there now the smaller devices like I bought available in the A2DP Profile or has someone found a way to use them with the SGP5?

I'm looking to use a Bluetooth device as a audio I/O for some Amateur Radio apps I have seen.

tnx
George

Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, we were definitely talking about the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.

https://www.google.com/#q=bluetooth+...w=1600&bih=813

This is what my search turned up. They claim to connect in A2DP. But, I would be remiss if I didn't try to steer you away from BT headphones. they just don't sound as good and use up more battery. However, I know many prefer them.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Thank you for the reply and the link. It's good to know that A2DP devices are available, a year or so ago when I was looking for them I was having a hard time any. I have heard that the audio quality of the BT headsets is not the greatest and that using BT does absorb more of the battery. I'm interested in hard wiring the BT to the audio In/Out on one of my radios and using it in place of a wired audio interface.

Tnx agn for the reply.

George

Quote:
Yep, we were definitely talking about the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeP1111 View Post
Thank you for the reply and the link. It's good to know that A2DP devices are available, a year or so ago when I was looking for them I was having a hard time any. I have heard that the audio quality of the BT headsets is not the greatest and that using BT does absorb more of the battery. I'm interested in hard wiring the BT to the audio In/Out on one of my radios and using it in place of a wired audio interface.

Tnx agn for the reply.

George
If your gonna do that then get one of those bluetooth "clips" that let you use your own headphones, like this http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CLIPPER-...bluetooth+clip then you can do a headphone jack to audio in cable real easy.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
then you can do a headphone jack to audio in cable real easy.
That is a interesting idea.

As it stands, this project of mine is still in the "ideas" stage and probably will be till winter comes and I'll be looking for projects to play with. Currently I'm thinking that I will disassemble the BT device and remove the ear/mic then hard wire my connector(s) directly in place. I'll probably buy at least two devices so when I screw up the first one I'll know what not to do to the second.

Thanks for the suggestion as something with I/O connectors installed would simplify the design considerably.

George

Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeP1111 View Post
That is a interesting idea.

As it stands, this project of mine is still in the "ideas" stage and probably will be till winter comes and I'll be looking for projects to play with. Currently I'm thinking that I will disassemble the BT device and remove the ear/mic then hard wire my connector(s) directly in place. I'll probably buy at least two devices so when I screw up the first one I'll know what not to do to the second.

Thanks for the suggestion as something with I/O connectors installed would simplify the design considerably.

George
The "clips" give you stereo audio, the single ear headsets only do MONO so I would seriously recommend one of them.