android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM

As far as screen protectors, if you are gentle with your SGP, you really don't need one for scratch resistance. The biggest problem with scratches comes from chrome plated keys and some coins. If you're stuffing yours in a pocket with those items, you might want a protector.

Protectors can also reduce or increase fingerprints. I'm assuming nobody wants more fingerprints but if you are looking for fewer fingerprints, search the product descriptions and reviews for that. Also there are clear and matte protectors. The matte protectors help reduce glare if you use your SGP outdoors a lot.

Lastly, as far as installing any protector, the best place to install it is in the bathroom after running the shower on hot until the mirror is steamed up. This greatly reduces the number of airborne dust particles and also any static electricity.

For me, I had an Archos 5IT with the shipping protector left on it for about two years. The hardware died before the scratches got too bad and that was with a resistive screen. I would have left the shipping protector on my SGP but Samsung is now printing stuff on it. So my new SGP is going naked.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2ition View Post
Thanks I ordered the case and the screen protector and hopefully I will be happy with them. I still have the protective film on my screen and I don't plan to take it off until I get a screen protector.
How do you like the case? I was looking into this same one except a different color.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshanizzle View Post
How do you like the case? I was looking into this same one except a different color.
I haven't got it yet. It ships from China and is said to take about two weeks to arrive. I'll let you know what I think when It gets here though.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Suction stands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Stands-Bla...item4ab4661616

Don't ship worldwide

Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Question PDAir Case

hi..any idea which of the following cases would be better/durable in terms of daily usage? which one would last longer?

Black (Plain)
http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product...ducts_id=33447

Black Crocodile Pattern

http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product...ducts_id=34446

Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 AM

They both look like bonded leather and not split grain or full grain leather. The croc pattern will show wear after a few months and begin to deteriorate after a year.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM

aha oke, i thought otherwise :P but the simple one looks good and decent, so hopefully will get that one

Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Unhappy Camcorder case?

Not much help but I found a really nice case in a second hand store for my SGP 5. All it says is AF 20. It is about 7" by 5" by 2 1/2 ". Just right for my player and some extras, and it has a belt loop. You might want to check out camera stores and look for mini camcorder cases. I tried to research AF 20 but got nowhere. Sorry.

Last edited by tunesplus; 02-29-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HildyJ View Post
As far as screen protectors, if you are gentle with your SGP, you really don't need one for scratch resistance.
I agree with this statement completely. A few days ago, I (accidentally) flung my SGP 4.0 off a table onto a tile floor. I had no screen protectors or case on it. The back flew off in one direction, the battery in another, and it landed face down. Picked it up, popped in the battery and put the back on, worked like new. There were no scratched on the screen at all, only a few minor ones on a one of the corners (which I didn't even notice until the next day).

Very sturdy device, even though it is made of plastic. And people say it doesn't have a good build quality...

Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM

For those with the sgp 4.0 and are looking for a good horizontal belt case; While browsing the electronics section at target, look for the mobile phone aisle that has cases. Look for a case logic case that says its for "larger" android phones. Its very well made and very slim. Adds little to no bulk to the device and the clip is very sturdy. Its all black leather and retails for 19.99. Probably can catch it on sale at some point.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM

I just picked up the desk dock (around $30.00 from Beach audio on Amazon), and here are my initial observations. It seems to be very well built. has some weight to it. There's a blue power on indicator light on the front. The Galaxy 5.0 slides snugly into the dock with no jiggling or moving once its in place, and connects with the micro USB connector. On the back of the unit, there is a line out for USB and for a speaker wire. The speakers on the unit itself are unobstructed. (There's a slotted opening for the bottom speaker.)

Money well spent if you want to have your Galaxy 5.0 upright on your desk, convenient and hands free.

EDIT: You will need to get an app to allow the speakers to redirect through the dock. There's a couple free ones on the market.

Last edited by Errol; 03-06-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add info

Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM

who's gonna use the samsungs note cases to fit their 5.0? i know you have to cut spaces for the cameras but its worth a try. i was thinking of getting a note flip cover.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the Note Flip cover is a great idea. Post a picture after you get the player & put the case on it.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM

i managed to get from the local market a samsung galaxy note case, its just a normal case and a screen protector but i don't like both of these things, screen protector catches too much finger-prints and the case is ..well its KO...there is no space for camera and volume buttons, but for charging and earphone the space/slot is there...so its oke doke...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM

The Pdair leather belt-clip case works great for me. It's a "bit" large when work on the belt. Sometimes I slide it up front more so it's doesn't' project out sideways...and then it blocks my side pocket a bit. It's built pretty well although it is not full leather. It's probably leather bonded to some sort of cardboard backing. After 3 months it's holding up well. I'd say it's a bit overpriced. Maybe really worth $20-25...but what the heck. I do like it. Device slips in and out very easily and the magnetic catch-flap works well.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
I just picked up the desk dock (around $30.00 from Beach audio on Amazon), and here are my initial observations. It seems to be very well built. has some weight to it. There's a blue power on indicator light on the front. The Galaxy 5.0 slides snugly into the dock with no jiggling or moving once its in place, and connects with the micro USB connector. On the back of the unit, there is a line out for USB and for a speaker wire. The speakers on the unit itself are unobstructed. (There's a slotted opening for the bottom speaker.)

Money well spent if you want to have your Galaxy 5.0 upright on your desk, convenient and hands free.

EDIT: You will need to get an app to allow the speakers to redirect through the dock. There's a couple free ones on the market.
Can you please post a link to this? Is this a dock with speaker specifically for the 5.0? I cannot seem to find it on amazon.
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Can you please post a link to this? Is this a dock with speaker specifically for the 5.0? I cannot seem to find it on amazon.
Thanks!

Certainly...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

It is a dock specifically for the 5.0. It does not have its own speaker. It has a speaker plug to attach external speakers.

I also see the price has dropped to $25.87.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
Certainly...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

It is a dock specifically for the 5.0. It does not have its own speaker. It has a speaker plug to attach external speakers.

I also see the price has dropped to $25.87.
That price is from ANTonline. I have no personal experience with them; do your own research on how reliable they are. I've read mixed reviews.

Beach, on the other hand, is supposed to be great.

Steve

Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 PM

Thanks for that link.
Its a pretty basic unit!
Nothing on the market for a nightstand/alarm clock dock...even for the Galaxy Note.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Someone has probably tried this, but I didn't read all 11 pages of the thread and thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm interested in an Otterbox case for the SGP, and I know they don't specifically make them - looking ideally for a hard case with a removable belt caddy.

I know some people are talking about using the Note case for the 5.0 and not sure what would work for the 4.0 (and even less what might work for the 3.6).

Does anyone know of a case similar to Otterbox that would work, or of an Otterbox case for a different phone/player that would maybe work with minor modification (i.e. I'm not primarily using it for a camera, so if I had to drill a hole for the headphones and remove the SGP to use the camera, I'm okay with that).