android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 15,994
Default

I received the ZENUS Galaxy Player GB70 Leather Case 'Prestige' Carbon Diary Series', and back it's going. Build quality is "meh", the player will be too at risk of damage IMO.
I personally feel it's over-priced and under-spec'd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #62  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
tcat's Avatar
tcat tcat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 302
Default

There are differences in chargers. I bought a car charger for my Optimus-V and it works fine on it. If plugged into my SGP5 nothing... says "discharging" not "charging". Same with my OV wall charger. Same USB to micro USB plug. Are there extra wires in the SGP cable? Anyone bought a cheap car charger (Ebay or Amazon) that works for sure? (both the SGP and my OV chargers are .7amp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyunmet View Post
I think any universal charger should work for the galaxy player 5.0. Most universal chargers output 1amp through their usb slots I think. As long as the amp output from the car charger is equal or higher than the wall charger that the galaxy player came with then you should be fine. I found this discussion on an android that was interesting, hope it helps.

http://androidforums.com/captivate-a...-chargers.html
Reply With Quote

  #63  
Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 PM
graycyn graycyn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
I just bought this case for my SGP5, hoping it's a good fit. According to dimensions it should be about perfect. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-F...3629408&sr=8-1 I have a similar case for my phone, and I like being able to slip it out fast.
I bought this case, it works EXCELLENTLY for the SGP5, as long as it also has a TPU back cover on it. Otherwise I think the device could easily slip out.

With the TPU cover, there is some grip factor and it stays in reasonably well. Good case for carrying in a purse, relatively slim, yet with some padding to help protect if dropped.

However, this is just a protective case, there's no belt loops or clips, no access to charging or any button but the power button. You could neatly clip a stylus to the side webbing for access.
Reply With Quote

  #64  
Old 12-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

For those of you in the USA that have a 4.0 the silicone case for the Samsung Fascinate that is/was sold by Verizon wireless is the exact form factor as the 4.0 the USB and headphone holes line up and despite looking like it might block the camera it doesn't. the covered volume buttons line up perfectly, but the power button is higher on the 4.0 then the fascinate but since its a soft silicone case you can still press right thru it, also the microphone and rear speaker holes are blocked but nothing a razor-blade can't fix.

I also tried the bodyglove soft case for the galaxy S 4G/Vibraint and it was really close, a little tight and the power button hole was off and would need to be trimmed out (as it sat it would hold the button down), also 1 of the speakers would need to be cut out, but I didn't like it because it only covered most of the chrome ring (left a sliver all around) and I didn't like that look.

Also if your local verizon store still has any of the Fascinate silicone cases there clearanced down to like 5 bucks.

Last edited by Daniel644; 12-14-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: extra info
Reply With Quote

  #65  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 PM
tcat's Avatar
tcat tcat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 302
Default

Good to know, mine should be here in a day or two. I also ordered a black cover for the back, so should be great. If you slip it in top first you could use it for charging and/or earbuds. I plan on getting one of those cheap styluses too, some nice apps to use it on, and maybe prevent some of the greasy finger-printing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I bought this case, it works EXCELLENTLY for the SGP5, as long as it also has a TPU back cover on it. Otherwise I think the device could easily slip out.

With the TPU cover, there is some grip factor and it stays in reasonably well. Good case for carrying in a purse, relatively slim, yet with some padding to help protect if dropped.

However, this is just a protective case, there's no belt loops or clips, no access to charging or any button but the power button. You could neatly clip a stylus to the side webbing for access.
Reply With Quote

  #66  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Big Sky's Avatar
Big Sky Big Sky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Land of Chicken Pot Pies
Posts: 220
Default Hip Pouches for 4"and 5" Players

Eagle Creek ID Pouch (many colors to choose) http://luggagebase.com/images/upload...657774_med.jpg

This one I bought for my Evo and works with my 5" SGP

I also have Eddie Bauer Expedition Travel Wallet (Shown in Black)
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Eddi...=1001&fmt=jpeg
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Eddi...2456&align=0,0
Reply With Quote

  #67  
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default

OK- I've looked through the posts and can't seem to find a silicone/gel case for the 5.0. Other than the Riot Outfitters Diamond (polycarbonate) at BB, any other options out there that fit the 5.0 without modification?
Thanks.

BTW- Zagg Invisible Shield on my 5.0 is fantastic. Highly recommended.

EDIT: 2011-12-19
I don't like those leather folio cases. Added bulk and really don't protect from drops like an Ottercase would. Plus, the extra front cover has to fold back and just gets in the way of everything...and covers up the rear speakers when it's folded back. I emailed Ottercase with a request. Hopefully they get on the stick and start making cases for the SGP 5.0
That's the real solution. We'll see. I'll post if I find anything new.

Last edited by Blackdog; 12-19-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #68  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
tcat's Avatar
tcat tcat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 302
Default

Just received this case. Perfect for what I need! If you put the SGP5 in top first, the charging and earbud jack are facing out. The sides are also open in 2 spots, so the power button is still reachable (you also don't accidentally turn it off or on when you slide it in this way). With a little "mod" you could also make the volume rocker accessible (I doubt I'll mess with it though). Nice pocket for business cards or stylus clip. Slips into my back pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I bought this case, it works EXCELLENTLY for the SGP5, as long as it also has a TPU back cover on it. Otherwise I think the device could easily slip out.

With the TPU cover, there is some grip factor and it stays in reasonably well. Good case for carrying in a purse, relatively slim, yet with some padding to help protect if dropped.

However, this is just a protective case, there's no belt loops or clips, no access to charging or any button but the power button. You could neatly clip a stylus to the side webbing for access.
Reply With Quote

  #69  
Old 12-17-2011, 03:22 PM
graycyn graycyn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Just received this case. Perfect for what I need! If you put the SGP5 in top first, the charging and earbud jack are facing out. The sides are also open in 2 spots, so the power button is still reachable (you also don't accidentally turn it off or on when you slide it in this way). With a little "mod" you could also make the volume rocker accessible (I doubt I'll mess with it though). Nice pocket for business cards or stylus clip. Slips into my back pocket.
Glad you like it too. I ordered one for hubby's device (an Xmas surprise) and I think he'll like it as well. I only wish they made other colors, so we could more easily tell our devices apart.
Reply With Quote

  #70  
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Tonnio Tonnio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17
Default

Any one know if a "MHL TO HDMI HD TV CABLE ADAPTOR FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY S2, NOTE" such as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoneM8-ADAPT...d=UN9WFA8VQKR7 will work on a 5.0?

Last edited by Tonnio; 12-19-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #71  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
iJimaniac's Avatar
iJimaniac iJimaniac is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 161
Default

Hmm, these look nice, still just preorder though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gala...item416074741e
__________________
Robin hood was the first welfare program
Reply With Quote

  #72  
Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

I just found this soft case for the 4.0 on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-3&seller=
Reply With Quote

  #73  
Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 PM
graycyn graycyn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

OK, this belt clip eBay case for the Samsung Galaxy Note will work for the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 player:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=170719845748

In spite of the listed dimensions, it is a bit tight on the length and width, but fine on depth. It is clearly a kind of "hold all" case and obviously not specifically designed for the Galaxy Note either. However, bottom and sides are elastic, so it will hold the 5.0 player in a TPU back cover, though the fit is snug. Would be better without the TPU back cover.

Caveats... I'm not convinced this is real leather, I suspect synthetic. No corner protection for the device, the corners protrude.

On the plus side, the jack is accessible and lifting the magnetic flap gives easy access to the power and volume buttons. It will work for when I want to have it on me at the gym or on neighborhood walks where I wouldn't be carrying my purse.

On price, the seller accepted my offer of $15 ppd.

Last edited by graycyn; 12-22-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added a few words
Reply With Quote

  #74  
Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Blackdog's Avatar
Blackdog Blackdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 318
Default Update on belt-case

Update:
I received the pDair leather belt case for the SGP 5.0.
http://www.amazon.com/PDair-Leather-...4659626&sr=8-6
It arrived (from Hong Kong) a lot earlier than was stated. That's good.
It looks and feels sturdy. Decent leather, pretty thick. Player can be placed so that buttons are facing up...hole for earbud plug is in the right place. The leather catch at top that secures the device into the pouch has a strong magnetic "catch" that works quite well. It's not a belt loop; it's a clip (so you don't have to take off your belt to add or remove it) and it's quite sturdy. I'm pretty happy with it. At $35 it's not inexpensive but I think it will do a good job and look good. the only downside is that it will never fit the device if I put a hardshell case on it. Anyway, there's the update.

Otterbox says they are considering a case for the SMP 5.0 as they have had a lot of requests. Keep tabs on their website.

Wish I could find some sort of very thin hardcase that incorporates kickstand. I'm finding it a pain to always try and figure out some way to support the darned thing in an upright position when watching netflix.

One minor note, after about 10 days of use, one of the 120 v prongs on the wall-wart charger broke right off. Obviously it's in the trash. More cheap Chinese junk. Between selling us millions of tons of crap, and then having it fill our landfills within 12 months, they're going to kill us.
Reply With Quote

  #75  
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Lagoo56's Avatar
Lagoo56 Lagoo56 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SI,NY
Posts: 737
Default

Here is a silicone case for the 5.0

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...JVAS3DCBJ3HY00


I found it on ebay,then found it on amazon. I don't think the price is bad.
__________________
DAPs I own: Rockboxed Sansa C250 2GB+64GB MicroSDXC
Tablets I own:Rooted 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running Sungsonic 2 HD JB 4.1.2
Rooted 80GB Asus Memopad HD 7
Reply With Quote

  #76  
Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Dmeader Dmeader is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Default

I've found a nice silicone case for the SGP 4.0 on Amazon. I actually went by the pictures on the site and ordered several inexpensive skins for the Samsung Galaxy S phone. This one is the best of the bunch, and is about perfect...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

The actual item is sold as a case for the Samsung Galaxy S 4G phone (the card in the package also says "Vibrant T959"). The fit is perfect for the SGP 4.0. Material is a soft silicone that feels good in the hand. Mine is blue, but they have other colors. It completely covers the chrome bezel and has a nice rim around the display in case you lie it face-down. The cutouts for the earphone jack, USB port, microphone, camera and upper speaker are perfect. No cutouts for the power button or volume rocker, which is OK. There are molded raised ridges where the volume rocker is as well as the power button. The material is soft enough that you can work both right through the sides of the skin, and without holes in the sides the skin fits better and is more durable. The raised ridge for the power button is a bit lower than the physical button, you just press right above it. The only thing that is missing is a hole for the bottom speaker. To me the sound is fine without it, but I may make a hole with a 1/4" leather punch. Price is currently $1.88 plus $0.99 shipping. Mine came in about 4 days. I was going to order the Ringke case but I like this one so well that I might just get a couple more in different colors.

Last edited by Dmeader; 12-24-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #77  
Old 12-25-2011, 02:51 AM
x3dnd3x's Avatar
x3dnd3x x3dnd3x is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 9
Default

Any recommended hard case or covers for 5.0 ? I've searched around and most were quite expensive in fact .

People mentioned that this is a good case but correct me if i'm wrong , i'll have to get another case to protect the back otherwise it'll slip out easily ?

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-F...3629408&sr=8-1
Reply With Quote

  #78  
Old 12-25-2011, 03:54 AM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmeader View Post
I've found a nice silicone case for the SGP 4.0 on Amazon. I actually went by the pictures on the site and ordered several inexpensive skins for the Samsung Galaxy S phone. This one is the best of the bunch, and is about perfect...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

The actual item is sold as a case for the Samsung Galaxy S 4G phone (the card in the package also says "Vibrant T959"). The fit is perfect for the SGP 4.0. Material is a soft silicone that feels good in the hand. Mine is blue, but they have other colors. It completely covers the chrome bezel and has a nice rim around the display in case you lie it face-down. The cutouts for the earphone jack, USB port, microphone, camera and upper speaker are perfect. No cutouts for the power button or volume rocker, which is OK. There are molded raised ridges where the volume rocker is as well as the power button. The material is soft enough that you can work both right through the sides of the skin, and without holes in the sides the skin fits better and is more durable. The raised ridge for the power button is a bit lower than the physical button, you just press right above it. The only thing that is missing is a hole for the bottom speaker. To me the sound is fine without it, but I may make a hole with a 1/4" leather punch. Price is currently $1.88 plus $0.99 shipping. Mine came in about 4 days. I was going to order the Ringke case but I like this one so well that I might just get a couple more in different colors.
I had bought a case for the galaxy s 4g/vibrant but while everything but the power button and second speaker (not in case) lined up it was to tight a fit and left a small amount of the chrome bezel exposed and I didn't like that so I returned it, and now I found the one on amazon that is actually for the 4.0 wifi and I will report back when it finally gets through the holiday shipping season (estimated delivery january 4th).
Reply With Quote

  #79  
Old 12-25-2011, 03:42 PM
n3000 n3000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec, QC, Canada
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I received the ZENUS Galaxy Player GB70 Leather Case 'Prestige' Carbon Diary Series', and back it's going. Build quality is "meh", the player will be too at risk of damage IMO.
I personally feel it's over-priced and under-spec'd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Cons : Yeah it's expensive. Yes if the player falls i'm not sure at all it is really protected.

Pros : it looks nice and seems well built (2 months i have it and daily usage), i like it is thin (sgp 5.0 is big enough) and covers the screen (i hate plastic screen protector).

Reply With Quote

  #80  
Old 12-26-2011, 04:27 PM
tcat's Avatar
tcat tcat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 302
Default

I find this case great. I do have a small piece of anti-slip tape on each side of my 5.0 to keep it from slipping from my hand, it keeps it secure in this case. I do have a cheap Ebay back rubber case on order which should also do the job. It's almost secure with nothing (unless you intentionally turn it over). Very easy to grab to pull player out (especially if you slide it in top first so USB and audio jack are exposed), you don't accidentally power it on or off grabbing it near the bottom. Case is very rigid at the edges/corners, soft inside. Nice extra slot for business cards and/or cleaning cloth. Stylus clips to side and is hidden in the recess (although stylus is more useless than I thought it would be)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
Any recommended hard case or covers for 5.0 ? I've searched around and most were quite expensive in fact .

People mentioned that this is a good case but correct me if i'm wrong , i'll have to get another case to protect the back otherwise it'll slip out easily ?

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-F...3629408&sr=8-1
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.