android
Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Default 4.0 and 5.0 FM sound quality & reception

Subjective, but...

To me the 4.0 FM sound is VERY thin virtually no bass -- all mids and highs.

The 5.0's FM sound is much more balanced and has some bass.

Just the FM only -- music files sound great.

Both have a FM reception issue:

The stereo detection above 100 MHz is almost non-existent -- even with strong radio signals. It reminds me of the old Apple FM clip accessory which exhibited the same problem. The problem isn't the headphone cable -- type or length.

In contrast, the Clip Zip has no issue with detecting stereo from reasonably strong stations at or above 100 MHz.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM

what about FLAC sound quality ?? (16 bits 44.1)

compared to Cowon ??

Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM

I can get clear reception for some of my stations, but for a few others, where's the clearest reception when I'm sitting in front of my desk at home? It's when I hold the SGP an arm's length up over my head.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 PM

I have the internationnal galaxy player and I did try the steves kernel and I can say it loud when you have this thing in your device the FM radio is CRYSTAL CLEAR!!. no buzz or distortions! Deep bass too. I hope he will port his kernel to the U.S player and you will know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I forgot to mention everywhere I am.

Last edited by zacp2; 12-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 AM

I wouldn't say very thin but a bit light, but at the same time you have a clear reception free of hiss or noises..... worse is that is one of the few Samsung devices without RDS!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacari View Post
I wouldn't say very thin but a bit light, but at the same time you have a clear reception free of hiss or noises..... worse is that is one of the few Samsung devices without RDS!
Well, there is an RDS FM chip but the RDS is not implanted in the native FM radio app. Try the app called "FM TwoO". Then you will see the RDS informations showing up properly.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar View Post
Well, there is an RDS FM chip but the RDS is not implanted in the native FM radio app. Try the app called "FM TwoO". Then you will see the RDS informations showing up properly.
Thank you coldstar, lebellium told me on the other thread.
I doubt they will update this, in regular players and firmwares we could hope a solution but no in android world.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
Subjective, but...

To me the 4.0 FM sound is VERY thin virtually no bass -- all mids and highs.

The 5.0's FM sound is much more balanced and has some bass.

Just the FM only -- music files sound great.

Both have a FM reception issue:

The stereo detection above 100 MHz is almost non-existent -- even with strong radio signals. It reminds me of the old Apple FM clip accessory which exhibited the same problem. The problem isn't the headphone cable -- type or length.

In contrast, the Clip Zip has no issue with detecting stereo from reasonably strong stations at or above 100 MHz.
just got the 5.0 but i cant get the fm radio to work. when i try to turn it on it says earphones not connected so i connected the earphones but still wont work. any advice? i tried this on two different 5.0 players (dont ask why i have two) so obviously im doing something wrong here.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Try cleaning the earphone's jack with alcohol or contact cleaner and a good wipe with a paper towel. The 5.0 jack is sensitive to a good solid electrical connection. Make sure the headphones are fully inserted -- just a little bit more force. Also try rotating the inserted plug a few times back and forth.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 PM

The headphone jack is a little tight at the innermost end at first. Push the plug in a little harder, as TexasRockbox stated. Removing the case, if the SGP has one on it, at first will help the plug to go in farther. That's what I had to do to get the radio working.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM

I was having this issue with my Galaxy 4.0 player. I would tune in the radio and hear it over the speaker, but not the headphones. I pushed it in a bit more and now it's working.

Thank you!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Default FM radio mystifies

So... I am removing my posted question about why the radio won't work without headphones. Elsewhere I read that that there is no internal antenna. I guess headphone wires are the antenna. I confused streaming radio with FM radio the other day and assumed it had antenna. Nope. Have to plug in headphones to hear radio via speakers. Fine.

Last edited by UKboston; 12-23-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: found my answer in another thread