android
Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 AM

I went to Yongsan a few days early.

Bought a 64GB MicroSD, by KingMax.... Ran me just over 200,000 won. Not too bad I suppose.

Anyhow, long story short, I couldn't get it to work in my 4.0, unfortunately.

I suspect it will be possible in the future sometime through rooting, but I haven't been able to find anything about it on the interwebz yet.

Until then, I'll just store it in my old phone so I don't lose it, I suppose.

Oh well.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracen View Post
I went to Yongsan a few days early.

Bought a 64GB MicroSD, by KingMax.... Ran me just over 200,000 won. Not too bad I suppose.

Anyhow, long story short, I couldn't get it to work in my 4.0, unfortunately.

I suspect it will be possible in the future sometime through rooting, but I haven't been able to find anything about it on the interwebz yet.

Until then, I'll just store it in my old phone so I don't lose it, I suppose.

Oh well.
Did you try formatting it to the sdhc standard instead of the sdxc standard? The exact terms escape me at the moment, because I'm half asleep......lol.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Did you try formatting it to the sdhc standard instead of the sdxc standard? The exact terms escape me at the moment, because I'm half asleep......lol.
I don't know how I would go about doing this. I was under the impression that the only way that they were able to get it to 64 GB was by changing from SDHC to SDXC- SDXC gets more memory out of what's there, from what I have read.

The only issue with the galaxy player's compatibility is that the player doesn't support SDXC codec, from what I understand. I am fairly confident that adding the codec to the player would be more plausible than changing the card itsself to SDHC.... if they could have made a 64 GB SDHC, pretty sure that's what they would have done.

If you know how though, feel free to post a guide and I might try it out. Not a big deal either way...

Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
I don't know how I would go about doing this. I was under the impression that the only way that they were able to get it to 64 GB was by changing from SDHC to SDXC- SDXC gets more memory out of what's there, from what I have read.

The only issue with the galaxy player's compatibility is that the player doesn't support SDXC codec, from what I understand. I am fairly confident that adding the codec to the player would be more plausible than changing the card itsself to SDHC.... if they could have made a 64 GB SDHC, pretty sure that's what they would have done.

If you know how though, feel free to post a guide and I might try it out. Not a big deal either way...
try format it to fat32 through your computer,
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=47

Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doushixuwang View Post
try format it to fat32 through your computer,
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=47
Took a look at that stuff.... unfortunately, its *way* over my knowledge of tech

Maybe I'll mail it off to a friend I have in the states who can probably do this for me.... so slow though T_T

Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Even if it doesn't work at the moment, great try, Sarracen! Thanks for keeping the community informed.
And hopefully someone with the necessary skills will get us an appropriate rom to be able to use sdxc in our players!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Took a look at that stuff.... unfortunately, its *way* over my knowledge of tech
SDXC cards *should* work in all android devices. Looking around XDA's forum I did not find any report of it not working.

As this video says:
you need to format it to fat32. Most people who did it was through their phone, so no expert knowledge would be required!

"At first insert the device may say corrupt or error, just reformat your 64GB card inside the Android phone or tablet and you’re good to go. While many are currently working, this doesn’t mean they have full support. The chance of the cards failing, getting errors, and possibly losing all your stored data is still a possibility so use at your own risk for now." -Here for full article

Of course, you will not get the full speed of the new standard or the ability to write files over 4gb.

The reason you need to format it is that android doesn't have a kernel module to read ex-fat file system this new standard uses. Maybe a custom rom will support it someday? (Note that exfat is a propitiatory file system by Microsoft) Or maybe it will take the same time to support this than it took Linux to support ntfs file system? (Hint: it took a couple of years to be able to write & read a ntfs partition)

I might try myself someday but right now it really costs too much for me. Still, it would be interesting to know since someday the prices will drop.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn,...micro SDXC cards @64gb are still so expensive!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=Yaph;582736]SDXC cards *should* work in all android devices. Looking around XDA's forum I did not find any report of it not working.

...QUOTE]

Only those SDXC cards in SD3.0 specification are possibly compatible with current SDHC ports...

Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 PM

[quote=doushixuwang;582825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaph View Post
SDXC cards *should* work in all android devices. Looking around XDA's forum I did not find any report of it not working.

...QUOTE]

Only those SDXC cards in SD3.0 specification are possibly compatible with current SDHC ports...
Maybe, since the 4.0 specification will have 2 rows of pins instead of one and have a higher clock rate, maybe not, since some sources mentioned backward compatibility [here] [here] [and here]. I tried to confirm it on sdcard.org but they don't even mention UHS-II!

So it might be wise not to buy a UHS-II sdxc card before more information is provided but given micro sdxc uhs-II cards aren't on the market as of this date (at least, not that I know of), you might not end up buying one accidentally, at least for now.

One another note, why doesn't the sd association provide more information? 'beats me...

Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 AM

Mailed the card off to a friend of mine in the states today as a slightly late birthday present. I don't particularly care to fiddle with it, but if he can get it working with his devices, maybe I will get directions from him and buy another. No big deal.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:24 AM

Wow I'm so sorry we made you experiment lol? And yeah I bought the 32gb sd butthis whole thing made me realize that I honestly wanted something akin to my iPod Classic in terms of gbs but with a modern flare. Maybe I should've gotten that iPod Touch 64 haha.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khassan View Post
Wow I'm so sorry we made you experiment lol? And yeah I bought the 32gb sd butthis whole thing made me realize that I honestly wanted something akin to my iPod Classic in terms of gbs but with a modern flare. Maybe I should've gotten that iPod Touch 64 haha.
Buy two or more 32 GB chips, sort by music type.... Problem (sort of) solved. I personally don't have a big enough music library that it matters, but would like to have a 64 to add more movies if it were possibly.

No big deal really though on the SD. Couple hundred here and there never hurt anyone.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Actually cloud services like Pandora and TuneIn Radio mean that you don't have to have much of an on board library, only enough to get you through a flight to Honolulu.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
Actually cloud services like Pandora and TuneIn Radio mean that you don't have to have much of an on board library, only enough to get you through a flight to Honolulu.
Cloud services require WiFi though. That's less of a problem for phones that can connect to 3G, but (I personally) don't usually have a stable wifi to connect to unless I am out drinking coffee.

Tags
64 gb sdxc