android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 10-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Samsung Galaxy Player pricing (in the USA)...And questions from a prospective buyer

Hey... I'm in the market for a new PMP, and have been closely following the SGP since it was announced early in the year. Now that it's been released in the USA, I'm pretty sure that I'll pick it up. I do have a few questions, though.

1) Does anyone think that it'll be discounted at all for Black Friday? (I'm looking at the 5" model, although I'd consider the 4"). I don't think it'll be discounted given that it's just been released, but I wonder if it will be.

2) Has anyone done a test to see just how long the 5" player's battery lasts while playing music w/ Wi-fi turned off? I looked through the threads and have watched Youtube videos, and from what I can tell, it seems to last a good amount of time. Samsung's figures are at 60 hours, but how accurate is that?

3) How smoothly does the SD card content integrate with the main library? I'd assume that Samsung handles it well, but IDK (I'm coming from a Creative Labs PMP, so you can tell how well SD card integration was done there....)

4) I was able to look at a display model to get a good feel of what the Galaxy Player 5.0 feels like in hand, but does anyone know if the screen is actually glass?

5) TexasRockbox reported that the sound quality might be a bit better on the 4.0 than on the 5.0? Why would that be? And is it just subjective analysis?

6) Does anyone know if there would be any software bugs due to the 5.0's size? Does Android just upscale content to fit the 5" screen, or does that have any bearing on it at all?

I'm coming from a Creative Zen X-Fi2 and was considering the SGP 5.0 and the Cowon J3. I figured that I would appreciate the multimedia/internet capabilities of the SGP more than the stellar audio quality of the Cowon, especially since I don't listen to any FLAC files. But let's see how it goes...

Last edited by flashpoint_1230; 10-23-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpoint_1230 View Post
1) Does anyone think that it'll be discounted at all for Black Friday? (I'm looking at the 5" model, although I'd consider the 4"). I don't think it'll be discounted given that it's just been released, but I wonder if it will be.

2) Has anyone done a test to see just how long the 5" player's battery lasts while playing music w/ Wi-fi turned off? I looked through the threads and have watched Youtube videos, and from what I can tell, it seems to last a good amount of time. Samsung's figures are at 60 hours, but how accurate is that?

3) How smoothly does the SD card content integrate with the main library? I'd assume that Samsung handles it well, but IDK (I'm coming from a Creative Labs PMP, so you can tell how well SD card integration was done there....)

4) I was able to look at a display model to get a good feel of what the Galaxy Player 5.0 feels like in hand, but does anyone know if the screen is actually glass?

5) TexasRockbox reported that the sound quality might be a bit better on the 4.0 than on the 5.0? Why would that be? And is it just subjective analysis?

6) Does anyone know if there would be any software bugs due to the 5.0's size? Does Android just upscale content to fit the 5" screen, or does that have any bearing on it at all?

I'm coming from a Creative Zen X-Fi2 and was considering the SGP 5.0 and the Cowon J3. I figured that I would appreciate the multimedia/internet capabilities of the SGP more than the stellar audio quality of the Cowon, especially since I don't listen to any FLAC files. But let's see how it goes...
1) I'd be surprised if they knocked off more than a few bucks.

4) The screen is plastic, so a screen protector would probably be a smart buy.

5) IIRC, it was a subjective listening test. I'd doubt if there is actually any difference.

Regarding Cowon's sound quality, using FLAC isn't a must on any player, Cowons included. I personally would NEVER put FLAC on a portable player, it's a waste of space. That said, I personally think that the SGP offers more versatility, and that's what I look for.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpoint_1230 View Post
The two Samsung players I had sounded just as good as the Cowons I had. And both brands would play FLAC but I never used it on them, because as Steinburger said, it is a waste of space.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Some input:

1) Probably not too much. The really deep discounts are usually for off brands.

2) I get slightly more than twelve hours with music, a little video, moderate internet. Can't say for just music and no WiFi (and dark screen?)

3) Seems to be OK, so far. It seems that the Android music player / media database still has issues recognizing tags and album art from older versions of iTunes (such as 7).

4) The screen feels like glass (cold to the touch), don't know what kind of glass.

5) Definitely subjective. The FM on the 5.0 does sound better than the 4.0. The 5.0 has balanced sound while the 4.0 is all mid and highs. The 4.0 FM audio also has some issue with an AGC-like effect. Not so noticeable in stereo but listen to a talk FM station -- the volume seems to keep going up and down a bit.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A quick google turns up a lot of reports of the screen not being glass. At any rate, it isn't Gorilla Glass.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Got it... Thanks for the replies, everyone!

1) I wasn't sure about the Black Friday thing. Good to know, though.

2) Interesting... I knew that the 5" screen would suck the battery power down pretty quickly, but I'd hope more than 12 hours for just music playing. I saw that you'd gotten 12 hours, Texas Rockbox, but I wasn't sure of the conditions of the testing. So that's good, too.

3) I tag my files w/ MP3Tag. As if I'd ever have iTunes on my computer after the fiasco of seeing it running on a friend's Windows computer . It wasn't pretty, to put it nicely. Honestly, SD card integration isn't a huge deal to me. And I love that Android has customizable music players (I'm looking at one called Cubed or just "3." It looks like the iPod UI, but for Android).

4) I'd heard conflicting reports, so... Okay, definitely not Gorilla Glass. I can live with that. Although my last two PMPs died of screen crush injuries (or what appeared to be them). Hopefully the SGP is durable.

5) Oh, so was it just an FM radio sound test? I don't care about the radio; I was just wondering about an MP3 test. I plugged a pair of my own headphones into a display 5" model at Fry's Electronics and was pretty happy with the flat sound. There's nothing that the EQ couldn't fix, I don't think.

6) It appears that the SGP 4.0 has more bugs than the 5.0 from what I hear.

All very interesting. My biggest reservation lies with the screen. Not so much with scratching (IDC about that), but more about possible crush injuries. I was careful with my old PMPs, and they still fell victim to what appeared to be screen crush injuries.

Sounds like a fairly solid buy for me. Its pricing is a bit steep, though, and I wonder about its seeming lack of traction in the marketplace (not much buzz about it, from what I can tell). The Cowon sounds overpriced for what it is, and I love the possibility of having Android apps and usability.

Thanks again for the input!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:36 PM

Just a sidenote: I went to Best Buy today since they had both the SGP 4.0 and the SGP 5.0 on display. I applied some pressure to the screens with my finger. The 4.0 displayed no signs of bruising at all whereas the 5.0 displayed signs of bruising (ie. if I pressed down somewhere in the vicinity of my initial press, the screen would brightly light up the place where I had originally pressed down. It's difficult to explain).

Whether the 4.0 has a different coating or not, I wonder whether it would be better to get the 4.0 for its seeming resistance to bruising.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 AM

Oh oh. When I read this it reminds me of poor plastic creen. It's not glass so when you press hard it does some strange things. You could try the same thing with an lcd monitor or hdtv, i think.

I'm not suprised there is a difference between the 4.0 and 5.0, the screen for the 4.0 is supposed to be a "super clear lcd" so the coating may not be the same, maybe harder.

Anyway I have bought a case (Zenus Carbon Leather Case for Galaxy Player 70 YP-GB70 / Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 [Black]), i don't trust the screen's quality coating

Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3000 View Post
Oh oh. When I read this it reminds me of poor plastic creen. It's not glass so when you press hard it does some strange things. You could try the same thing with an lcd monitor or hdtv, i think.

I'm not suprised there is a difference between the 4.0 and 5.0, the screen for the 4.0 is supposed to be a "super clear lcd" so the coating may not be the same, maybe harder.

Anyway I have bought a case (Zenus Carbon Leather Case for Galaxy Player 70 YP-GB70 / Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 [Black]), i don't trust the screen's quality coating

The Gorilla Glass screen on my old motorola xoom did the exact same thing. It's not any indication that the screen is plastic, or even cheap for that matter. I would hazard a guess and say that it's just because the 5.0 has more surface area than the 4.0, but I could be wrong.

I'm not saying that this is gorilla glass, but I am saying that glass can flex too, and when it flexes enough to touch the screen, that's when you'll run into what this poster described.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Ah, ok. I was saying that because my Cowon S9 glass is really hard glass.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM

I have a galaxy s wifi/player 4.0 and when i press on it dosen't do bruising. It seems like it is glass

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Definitely glass. Turn on the 4 or the 5 and it says "Sweep the glass to unlock". If they had said "Sweep the screen" I might have worried.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
A quick google turns up a lot of reports of the screen not being glass. At any rate, it isn't Gorilla Glass.
Can you let me know exactly what you typed into google to make these reports come up..? I searched pretty hard for them, and couldn't find anything on the subject. Would be interested to read it...

Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Definitely glass. Turn on the 4 or the 5 and it says "Sweep the glass to unlock". If they had said "Sweep the screen" I might have worried.
Glass or Plastic I don't really care. Whatever it is, it is good enough. Samsung fairs much better than the IPhone 4s in You Tube drop test videos.

Last edited by Joe_Linux; 10-25-2011 at 06:33 PM.