android
Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Default Windows Phone Hardware - An evolution

Those of you watching the main smartphone forum know that I'm doing a very in-depth CPU comparison. This thread will be solely for Windows Phone 7. Unlike the main thread, this will not be locked, and it will be open to full discussion. I will maintain the first post.

Windows Phone 7 Chassis 1:

The first official chassis for WP7 uses the original Snapdragon, now known as Snapdragon S1. This ran at 1ghz, was single-core, and produced 2100 DMIPS. This is the same exact SOC used in such popular Android phones as the Nexus One, HTC Evo 4G, Droid Incredible, Sony Xperia X10, and many others.

Windows Phone 7 Chassis 2:

WP2 Chassis 2 uses the Snapdragon S2 series of SOCs. this is an improved SOC over the first-gen because it's on a smaller process, meaning better battery life, less heat dissipation, and the ability to clock higher for better performance. It also comes with an improved GPU. S2 is offered in speeds of 800mhz, 1ghz, and 1.5ghz, producing respectively 1680, 2100, and 3150 DMIPS. The first WP7-based device that I'm aware of to use this will be the HTC Titan at 1.5ghz. Other phones should fall in line as low-range, mid-range, and high-end.

Windows Phone 7 Chassis 3:

(SPECULTATION) Based on statements by Nokia, we can expect dual-core phones on WP7 by year's end. Also, going by Microsoft's statements that they are concerned with battery life, the 45nm S3 is likely not a candidate, but rather, the 28nm Snapdragon S4. If this is the case, it would mark the first time that a WP7 chassis wasn't drastically behind everyone else. S4 will be based on the Krait MPCore, which puts out 3.3 DMIPS per clock cycle. This is rumored to be clocked initially at 1.5ghz per core and available in dual- and quad-core configurations. Babysteps, so we'll start with the assumption of 1.5ghz and dual-core, which would yield 9900 DMIPS.

Please see the chart below for the graphical evolution of WP7 hardware;

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

As you can see, I put in some of the 2012 info not yet shown in my main evaluation (should be up this week). For those new to WP7, Chassis 2 looks like a good place to start, but if you're still on Chassis 1, I'd recommend holding out on that upgrade Chassis 3 should launch WP7 into a new stratosphere.