android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Help me tell Microsoft they need an Airport Express Device

Hello,
I'd like your help in telling Microsoft they need a device like Apple's Airport Express. A wifi networked device that lets you stream audio to a receiver over wifi, and use your WindowsPHone or ZuneHD as a remote. Microsoft has plenty of solutions for streaming if you have a TV, like xbox, roku, WD TVLive, etc. but nothing if you just want to stream music to a stereo.

If you agree that Microsoft should compete in this area, please go to the WindowsPhone users voice website, sign up, and vote for my suggestion. It's in the accessories category.
Thanks

Go here
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...re-suggestions

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 AM

No one seems to like my idea enough to vote for it. I would of thought there'd be more people out there that want to stream music to stereo without using a TV. There are no DLNA solutions that match the Airport Express on price, and have analog stereo output so you can use your own stereo. I'm surpprised more windows users don't want this.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

There are only a handful of Windows Phone users, at most, on these forums. Windows Phone adoption should pick up around Chassis 3, just as it took about 18 months after the release of Android for it to get picked up more here. The majority of the threads and the posts on this forum are by our forum moderators.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 AM

Well guess what. With a staggering 8 votes this suggestion has rocketed into the top 1000. I bet Bill Gates is reading it right now. Thanks AnyThingButiPhone readers. 8)

Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

I'll be honest here, a lot of ABI users won't care for this. Even the iPhone/Zune/WP7 users here are predominantly into open standards, such as DLNA. Right now, it's up to the phone manufacturer to implement DLNA support as it's not a base feature of WP7.

The advantage with DLNA is that it works with existing DLNA equipment and doesn't require proprietary equipment like an Airport Express.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 AM

Yes I agree, the device I'm suggesting should be DLNA compliant. And it'd be great if WP7 was DLNA compliant, but even it it wasn't it would still be usefull to be able to stream music from your PC to a DLNA wifi device with audio output going to your stereo, and use your WP7 as a remote. Apple has this functionality via iTunes+AirportExpress, and you can use an iPhone or iPodTouch as a remote.

As an aside, there is a program called Airfoil, its makers claim it lets you stream audio from a PC to Apple's airport express without having to use iTunes. I wonder if anyone at AnythinkButiPhone feels like testing this out. I'm very temped to just jump in and try it. If WP7 had a remote control for WindowsMediaPlayer on the PC this would accomplish most of what my suggestion proposes.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/