android
Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Default How accurate is the GPS in the Galaxy Player 5.0?

i was thinking of using the Galaxy player 5.0 with Sygic as my dedicated GPS. Is it accurate??How accurate is the Gps in the hardware??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM

seems pretty good to me i have a garmin nuvi to and the galaxy picks up the gps signal way quicker and the speed of your car and and current location location seem to be pretty damn accurate

Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy5.0 View Post
seems pretty good to me i have a garmin nuvi to and the galaxy picks up the gps signal way quicker and the speed of your car and and current location location seem to be pretty damn accurate
Oh sounds great!I guess i don't have to get a seperate gps unit and the galaxy player too.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 AM

The accuracy is fantastic but it doesn't replace my dedicated Magellan 7" car GPS.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 AM

when wifi is off the my galaxy 5.0 cant seem to locate me ever. By the way what program are you guys using for sole navigation without data? google navi doesnt work without data right?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Default Using gps on SAmsung S Galaxy wifi 5 Player

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S wifi 5 player. I can set up a route when using the wifi at home and having got a GPS location by going outside in the garden(in range of the wifi in the house), Put in destination and all is well, but as soon as I`m out of range of a wifi link- maybe 300 yards- it then gives a message something like`out of range` and I lose the navigation, until I turn around and pick up the signal again! Is this how I should expect it to operate?Having run Samsung, they tell me it should operate off the satellites as normal.... S what do I do?......Ken

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM

My GPS locks within a few seconds outdoors, wifi off or on. That's NOT in Navigation, just a GPS app (like GPS Test), Google Nav does not support off-line use (but Maps does as long as you download the areas you want). I use Navfree for non-wifi use, works well. Sygic works better, but you have to buy its maps.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 PM

well I have the 4.0 and I used google Nav yesterday to drive to my cousins house, you need wifi to get the directions but once the directions are cached you can lose the wifi and still have the whole route covered, the problem is to make a return trip you need wifi wherever you go to to calculate the return directions. I tried installing navfree USA last night and it keeps getting hung up on some failed to verify licence message and because of that I can't get maps to download.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:47 AM

thanks TCAT and Daniel644.So the Galaxy s wifi 5 should definitely navigate to a destination once that journey has been entered on the device and google maps has has come up with a route, and it will continue to update your position on the map independent of the wifi data link, if that link is lost? The choice then becomes, which app is the best to use....... thanks very much for your help..........Ken

Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Should be the case. Google Nav is the best IMO, and hopefully they will do something better for off-line use in the future. Sygic is really good (at least for the 7 days I tried it), but I don't like buying apps. Navfree is OK if Google Nav is too much a pain. There's usually a wifi hotspot around if in a bind... or a paper map

Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 PM

Yes of course, but `i`ve only just bought the player and was hoping that it just might be a machine that could be something to do several things but in a small box.... which the Samsung Demo seems to suggest. However other more serious issues have developed.(1) unable to connect to `Kies` on either of my computers at home, one running xp, the other windows 7 ... I`m not sure what `idle mode` is, which I believe is the condition of the device when connecting to kies.(2) I ask questions on the website in `My account`and when I try to retrieve the reply it just hangs. So here I am on this forum hoping to glean some answers....thanks

Old 12-27-2011, 02:51 PM

I barely know what Kies is, and don't plan on ever using it. I plug my USB cable in and my PC sees all the files on my SGP5. I typically just use a wifi connection with File Expert when I don't have the USB cable handy. I don't think you need Kies (unless maybe this gets upgraded someday and it's the only way to upgrade).

If you are trying to use Kies, make sure you check it under menu/settings/wireless and network/USB settings.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Amazingly immediately I had made my last post, I went to the laptop connected up and it all worked!! I thought I`d transfer a music file to the galaxy, the first I came across was Chris Rhea `the road to hell`, I hope that`s not a portent of things to come