android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon X7

Old 07-31-2011, 01:48 AM

Default Tips on playing songs in all folders in shuffle mode

Let's say you have a folder call Jazz. In it you have these sub-folders: Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Diana Kroll, and Shearing. Each subfolder has 50 songs. With the way the X7 is set up, you can play the songs in only one subfolder, lets say, those in the Fitzgerald randomly. But what if you want to play all the songs randomly? Here's how to do it.

Just drag a song, let's say Fitzgerald's Summer Time, from her folder to outside of the folder.

Now in the Jazz folder you will have four subfolders and one song. All you need to do is to set the X7 mode to "shuffle", play Summer Time, and all the songs in all four subfolders will be played.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2011, 02:47 PM

I can't get it to play all my songs in shuffle mode
This seems to be quite difficult...

Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Default horrible missing feature

this is the worst part on the x7. (apart of few other minor silly things) and since it exist on my older cowon i just cannot imagine who could think of making this model without it. + the need to move around to see the mode you are in and such..

i am sure it can be somehow easily fixed by a programming method but i cannot see that happening. i am almost thinking about giving it back after only buying it yesterday.

your method is a little solutions but not when one has something close to 1000 folders..

Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 AM

I still haven't found a solution but for now I use the "songs" category.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 AM

Default playlist

perhaps, creating playlists is the solution. still i am not happy with the way all control over 'modes' is being happen, not from the missing option of 'sub-folder'.

how do you do that, btw?

Last edited by o13m; 09-21-2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: adding

Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM

It's easy to play in the shuffle mode.

1. Create a main folder for each category. Let's say one for Popular Songs and one for Classical.

2. Let's say in the Popular Songs file you have three sub-folders: Elvis (200 songs), jazz (75 songs)and country (125 songs).

3. Now you want to play ALL 400 songs in the shuffle mode.

4. Go to the Elvis folder and copy his Blue Hawaii, and place it under the Popular Song. Now the Popular Song folder has four items: Elvis, Jazz, country and Blue Hawaii.

5. Play Blue Hawaii. While it's playing, set the Mode to shuffle (if you don't know how to do this, that's another discussion). All 400 songs under Popular Songs will now be played.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 PM

How to create a sub-folder: By now I assume you have all the songs in your computer or a harddisk storage device for backup just in case the X7 goes bad on you. Spend a little time in the computer and create folders and subfolders, put the songs in there, and just drag the whole thing over to the X7. Very simple.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM

thanks zysondy
i of course know how to make a sub-folder
i still find this system, well, how to say, strange. given that in my older cowen there was also a sub-folder option for the shuffle mode.
i was wondering - how one makes a playlist? and if that won't be an easier solution..

nice days
and thank you again for time
and all

Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks for suggesting this workaround zysondy
however it doesn't really solve the problem satisfactorily for me.

I am a former X5L owner and I used a folder setup so my X5 HDD looked like:

Music\
everything\
__________my music\artist\album\track
__________extra music\artist\album\track.

This worked perfectly, as I would select the folders in the browser and click 'play now' to create playlists essentially. Thus, i selected 'my music' if i wanted my fave tracks, 'extra music' to sample new things that I wasnt sure deserved 'my music' status, or just selected the 'everything' folder to play everything in a delightful shuffly mix.

Now with my X7, I have leaf and sense installed. so in the music player, there seems to be no way to select one of my main folders and play everything in it! If u try and click on a folder it just opens it and so on and on until u end up at the individual track files. And this was one of my favourite features of a Cowon. Is there still a way to do this, am I just missing it?

Also, on the X5 it meant that whilst on random, when a song came on that made u want to listen to another song on that album, you simply clicked the enter button, and it took u straight to the browser on the song being played. so in my setup, i would be in the album folder and just a few clicks up or down and i could have another song from that album. now with the X7 I can't find a way to instantly just enter the browser on whats being played to slightly alter it.

This lack of functionality is driving me mad, and is resulting in me seriously considering sending it back, and just living with the fact that I'll just not be able to buy any more music ever because it wont fit on my X5L.......

If anyone can tell me how to get browsing playback on the X7 that's similar to the X5 experience I will straight up pay you money, lol.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM

I don't understand why people create folders. All my songs are tagged by album, artist, genre and year. I have all my 19,000 tracks into one folder named "music". That's all I have done. I can move to any genre...say Jazz and play randomly all the tracks. I can select by album, artist (and can then play all the songs by that artist on shuffle) and by year, say 1990, if I wish.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
I don't understand why people create folders. All my songs are tagged by album, artist, genre and year. I have all my 19,000 tracks into one folder named "music". That's all I have done. I can move to any genre...say Jazz and play randomly all the tracks. I can select by album, artist (and can then play all the songs by that artist on shuffle) and by year, say 1990, if I wish.
Ummmm, because I want to use MY groupings, and I don't want to be limited in my choice to genre/artist etc. What would you do if u wanted to listen to a shuffle, for arguments sake, of Classical AND Jazz? My music is tagged in all of those methods, but I have system that works for me, and did perfectly on my old Cowon Xplayer, and so can't work out why it won't on their new one!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flay View Post
Ummmm, because I want to use MY groupings, and I don't want to be limited in my choice to genre/artist etc. What would you do if u wanted to listen to a shuffle, for arguments sake, of Classical AND Jazz? My music is tagged in all of those methods, but I have system that works for me, and did perfectly on my old Cowon Xplayer, and so can't work out why it won't on their new one!!!!
If as you say I wanted a shuffle of Classical & Jazz, I would be up the proverbial spout!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I think I found a solution to shuffle all songs:

Choose shuffle mode
Make sure boundary is set to all

Now for the most important part: (Which worked for me)
Choose browser, then navigate to the top most folder where the music is, then play a song

From that point on, it should work in all shuffle mode. For some reason, I couldn't get it to work any other way, but so far since I tried it using this method it has worked properly.

P.S. If this is well known and it belongs in the Captain Obvious department let me know and I will delete my post.