android
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM

Default Problem with sansa clip zip (Bricked?)

I bought a clip zip last march and It has really helped me enjoy quality music on the go. I've updated the firmware and rockboxed it to the latest version. It may be kind of long but I just want to share all the details of my problem with the clip zip.

Just this afternoon though I plugged it to my cousin's laptop because it was running low on power and then when the usb logo appeared on the screen to indicate it was charging. The trouble began when For some reason I tried to unplug it and turn it on and it become unresponsive only showing the usb logo on the screen.

I hold the power button for a good amount of time and it turned off. Then when I turned it back on to check if there was any damage, rockbox still load itself but then it seems that I can't play any music anymore. When I plugged it to my pc to check the files it seems that all the folder kind of become shortcuts and all have 2kb size. Also the folder's dont opened when clicked, surprisingly though when I checked the capacity it was still full like the files are still there.

In my panic I tried to delete all the files because I want to reset back to the factory settings and still the the capacity was still filled like there are still files inside. So I reformatted it on windows and now everything is gone but when I turn it on it will still load the rockbox but then would say: "Loading firmware not found" and then afterwards there is a "Plug USB cable" message in the middle.

Can someone help? thanks a lot.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM

a couple of options...

reformat then reinstall rockbox
completely uninstall RB by reinstalling firmware. http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=33848.0
boot to OF - left click while booting

Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM

I tried going plugging the player to the pc and opening rockbox utility going to back up and and uninstallation. When I click on the remove the bootloader button it says "rockbox cannot install the bootloader on this target. Try a normal firmware update to remove the bootloader." When I click on the uninstall rockbox from your audio player button it will go the progress bar that says 100% but when I turn my clip the rockbox logo will still appear. If there is a way for me to go back to the original state where I could see the sansa flower logo I think it would solve the problem.

"To fix I added the proper firmware, then powered on the Zip Clip while holding Left (|<<)
This rebooted the firmware."

this is the post on the rockbox forum. What is the "proper" firmware to download?

thanks

Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Administrator

===moved to Rockbox subforum===

Welcome to ABi

What you describe that caused this seems to be problems with the file system caused by file corruption. That can be caused by not safely disconnecting. With an unfamiliar system it's possible a background process was still accessing the disc when you disconnected. That message means the Rockbox bootloader can't find a .rockbox folder to load. Whether it was the file corruption or the format there's no .rockbox folder there now and you need to add another one for Rockbox to boot.

You can probably just connect the USB cable and copy over a new copy of . Rockbox, reboot and that should get you going again. If Rockbox USB isn't working properly for you, boot to the OF, be sure to change the USB setting to MSC and copy the new .rockbox folder that way.

Edit: I just saw your post about reinstalling the bootloader. That's very rarely needed. If it's trying to load the .rockbox file and can't, it's in place and shouldn't need to be reinstalled. I'd start simple and add a current dev build or the Release and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks! I've copied a .rockbox folder on the empty sansa clip zip folder and now rockbox loads properly though I still don't have any files. Now should I reinstall the stock firmware?

Update: Ok So i made a music folder and added a Van Der Graaf Generator album and it played. Should I still reinstall the stock firmware? because I think the stock firmware is gone now. But I still want to have the option for voice recording.

Last edited by Vivboktam; 05-15-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Update

Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Administrator

There's no need to reinstall the OF. If Rockbox is booting it's already there. The format erased all the files. They'll need to be reloaded from an external backup.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the help just a few things bothering me?

So do i lose out on any features the stock firmware has like the stop watch, E books because I can't see the folders anymore. Also If ever there is gonna be a new update to rockbox for the zip can I still do it with out the stock firmware?

If Rockbox is booting it's already there.

does it's mean the stock firmware? but I can't see any folders it used to have or it is not placed on any folder?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Administrator

The folders you're talking about are created by default during the database refresh when you boot to the sandisk firmware. Once you boot to that you should see them again.

I think your other question is "Will there ever be a way to have Rockbox without the sandisk firmware?". If that's it, the answer is it's unlikely in the extreme that there will be a update to Rockbox that doesn't have a way to boot the sandisk firmware . If Rockbox couldn't boot for some reason there would be no way to recover by reloading a new firmware or dealing with file problems on the disk.

Just so you know, the greatest possibility of bricking (making it completely unrecoverable) is a failed firmware update. That means that unless there's some overwhelming reason updating the firmware should be avoided. Once a bootloader is in place you shouldn't have to do that again unless you want to completely remove Rockbox.